Thread: Upper Susitna

Default Upper Susitna

Has anyone ran down stream from the Denali Hwy Bridge? Just wondering what the river is like, and if the canyon down past the Maclaren and around the bend is passable? Any info would be helpful.

Thank You!
    Richard

Default Go Light and lots of Spare Parts

I have ran that part of the river many times. Not an area for a big boat. 16-18 ft sled with a 70hp jet is fine. The big boats like Thunderjet, Weldcraft, Wooldridge's are too big and heavy.

The reason is you can run out of water REAL fast. From the bridge down about the first 5-7 miles is very wide, shallow and the channel (if the river is low) is very unpredictable. Once past that it is like running any other river all the way down to Tyone creek. Most folks don't run much past that because of Devil Canyon.

If you do go, stop, look and listen. Beach your boat and take a look above the banks once in while.

Good luck and keep it light. I have come around a corner, ran out of water and was high and dry! Had to unload the boat and drag it to the water, reload and go. Take an extra impeller and sleeve with you as you will be pumping a lot of mud. Bailing wire and duck tape save my butt one year as my jet unit kept snapping bolts!

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Default AKBassKing

Thank you very much for the info. We drove out and checked it out. Your are absolutely correct. At the bridge the river looked like a nightmare to run. Very shallow, lots of channels, and lots of sand bars. There were 9 boats there. 2 small boats and 7 air-boats.

Thanks Again!
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Richard AK Res View Post
    Thank you very much for the info. We drove out and checked it out. Your are absolutely correct. At the bridge the river looked like a nightmare to run. Very shallow, lots of channels, and lots of sand bars. There were 9 boats there. 2 small boats and 7 air-boats.

Thanks Again!
    Richard

You are welcome!

I went by there a few weeks ago and saw only the knot heads from the National Guard (my friends) that regulary run the upper Su. Although it looked like it had lots of water.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/