Thread: How far down the Kasilof?

Thumbs up How far down the Kasilof?

How far can I legally take my 115 HP Jet boat down the Kasilof from the Tustumena Lake boat launch? I saw a jet boat clear down by the bridge today and was wondering what the rules were for boating on that river or where I might find such information on-line.
    The individual right to keep and bear arms shall not be denied or infringed by the State or a political subdivision of the State.

I'd like to know the answer to this too. As far as I know only the Kenai has the HP restriction. The Fish and Game regs must say? I'll look online and see if I can find an answer.

Default all the way

As far as I know there are no restrictions on the kasilof.
    allthough I have had a few rocks make me rethink my decision.

I was under the impression that the river was drift only, but maybe that was because powerboats stay away due to all the rocks.
    The individual right to keep and bear arms shall not be denied or infringed by the State or a political subdivision of the State.

Thumbs up

Last year when I fished the Kasilof for silvers down below Crooked Creek, I saw several power boats going up and down the river. One of them was a 21' inboard T/Jet. There are some big rocks, but maybe these folks knew the river really well too. Who knows?... I don't believe that there is a power restriction on the Kasilof. Don't "quote" me on that, check the reg's...

I have looked everywhere. The NWR regs don't restrict power boats. The Kasilof is drift only for FISHING but I don't see where it restricts OPERATING a power boat. I have looked in the AAC, the fishing regs, the NWR regs and I can't find any restrictions.

There are no motor restrictions on the Kasilof as far as transportation usage. However, those who do run power there usually run jets and they must be very familiar with the river as there are too many obstructions for an outboard prop to survive. You may not fish from a boat Jan 1 to July 31 from the Sterling Hwy bridge downstream to the mouth and there are other restrictions in specific areas as well. Of course they get you by having everything upstream of the bridge closed to most fishing during the timeframe that motorized boat fishing is allowed. Basically, you can run a motorboat for transportation, but generally not for fishing (at least while there are fish in the river). Check pages 43-44 of the fishing regs to try and sort out the fishing aspect.

Default And yet...

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    ...those who do run power there usually run jets and they must be very familiar with the river as there are too many obstructions for an outboard prop to survive.
    ...the old timers did it routinely (Alaska's #1 Guide) with low power prop driven wooden dories. One guide service even ran a good sized inboard power scow up and down the river throughout the hunting season. Gotta hand it to those old timers. They didn't know it couldn't be done, so they just went ahead and did it.

Berg and his comrads did it the hard way, they pulled their boats through much of the Kasilof with one guy in the boat to steer it away from the bank and two or three guys pulling on lines to provide forward momentum.

Default Au contrare

Read the book again. Check out the pictures. Beginning in the 30s they motored up the river with generally fully loaded dories using old Evinrudes in the 15-30hp range. They just knew how to use the eddies and read the river well. At least once Berg writes of the great time he made from tidewater to slackwater. He also motored all over Cook Inlet in a skiff and kicker when he was a game warden and sometimes popped up to the lake to check on streams and his cabin.

Sorry, I didn't mean to say Berg didn't use a motor to travel all the way up. I was just impressed how tough those guy were and to what lengths they would go to get something done.