Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How was whittier this weekend

Default How was whittier this weekend

title pretty much explains it

Default Great day in the Sound ... not so great fishing

Only 2 Silvers all day. We were at Pigot Point, South Culross and around Ester Island. One Silver was caught at Pigot Point, the other one was caught over by the Easter hatchery. It was hanging around with a school of pinks.

Other than that, we did fairly well at shrimping, 180 shrimp in a 6-hour soak.

Overall, Saturday was a great day to be out there. The water was flat and the weather was perfect.

Just got back this evening from one day of fishing (Sunday) with only two fish to show for it. We got one silver off Pigot Point and another in close to Whittier. Trolling herring to catch both. The first one was at 60 feet. Next one was at 25 feet along the shore.

I counted 28 boats at Pigot Point and it kinda reminded me of the Seward Silver Salmon derby and the madness that goes on there. Not as bad as Seward of course but still a little crowded.

Now for a little slapstick comedy.

Were any of you guys out at Pigot Point on Sunday afternoon? Did you happen to notice one boat behaving rather strangely? Well, it was me and I can explain.

My daughter had never fished much and had never caught a salmon and since she's leaving soon to go live in Florida so I took her and the wife out today. The daughter caught the fish off Pigot point and it was a decent 8lb Silver. Anyhow, I netted it for her, bonked it and she did the standard pose with her fish for the camera and then I put in on a stringer and dropped it over the side.

Yes, the stringer was tied off.

So, about 10 minutes later we're still trolling and suddenly I notice this fish floating behind the boat. Yep, it's our fish. Apparently the stringer broke and the fish was floating away. Now for the weird part. I guess I'm not a good fish bonker because when we turned around to retrieve the fish it still had enough life left in it to swim out of reach of our net. It would then pop back to the surface and we'd turn around and go after it again. Just as we would get to it, the ****ed thing would swim off again. We would then turn around and...yep, same result.

We spent about 10 minutes chasing after that freaking fish. Normally I would have given it up as a bad deal but it was my daughter's first salmon and the look on her face told me I was going to chase that fish forever if that's what it took. It almost did.

Finally I took over control of the boat, gave the net to my wife and I started out after the fish that I was by now calling FishZilla. After making four more failed attempts, I slammed the throttle full forward and ran the SOB over...well, almost. Actually we came at him so fast he didn't have time to get away, I crammed the motor into reverse, stopped the boat right next to it and my wife netted him. This time, I bonked him, bonked him again and then jammed my knife into the back of his head. I then beat him up and chained him to the deck and shot him three times with my .44...ok, I'm making that last part up but I made sure that FishZilla was dead this time.

When it was all over, we just sat back and laughed our heads off.

Default Perry Island

We found ours out at Perry Island. We caught the last one near Pigot Point on the way in. It was slow but a great way to enjoy the great weather. Then we get back to the dock, and find one boat's being repaired at the launch, a second boat is trying to charge the dead battery on a third.... The boat charging the boat with the dead battery, are both occupying positions on the launch nearest the ramp, making it quite inconvenient for the rest of us.

I heard they were hitting at Main Bay.

Went out yesterday to scout for some deer and wet a line. Pretty much skunked, my youngest got a quillback rockfish and that was it. I didn't see many salmon jumping.

Default Helping out.....THE ALASKAN WAY!!!!!!

I would like to apologize If I inconvenienced you in any way. I believe I was the boat trying to jump the other boat so that he could enjoy a day on the water with his wife and daughter. I did not know him but he needed a hand so I offered to help. Maybe instead of *complaining* about it you could also have offered to help out a little. It is a real shame Alaska is getting away from the attitude that built this great state, which has always been to help out a person in need. After living here for over 30 years I have seen it really go down hill. So next time you are inconvenienced, either open your mouth and offer to help or shut up !
    Just my two cents,
    John Berberich
    Live2fish@gci.net
    Last edited by Brian M; 08-27-2007 at 11:34. Reason: language

Default John, I agree

Quote Originally Posted by live2fish View Post
    I would like to apologize If I inconvenienced you in any way. I believe I was the boat trying to jump the other boat so that he could enjoy a day on the water with his wife and daughter. I did not know him but he needed a hand so I offered to help. Maybe instead of *complaining* about it you could also have offered to help out a little. It is a real shame Alaska is getting away from the attitude that built this great state, which has always been to help out a person in need. After living here for over 30 years I have seen it really go down hill. So next time you are inconvenienced, either open your mouth and offer to help or shut up !
    Just my two cents,
    John Berberich
    Live2fish@gci.net
    30 yrs ago, I wore a Tee shirt that said; "Alaska IS what America used to be"
    It is sad, but Alaska is disappearing, by becoming to Americanized. A quick solution would be "STOP THE DIVIDEND".
    I don't want to get into an argument, but I really agree with your post.
    I was loading in whittier yesterday and some older gentlemen were taking quite a long time to trailer their boat. Which is cool with me. Some woman about 35 yrs old walked by and said "Don't wish people would buy boats that are small enough for them to handle?" I was thinking; "what?" Then she climbed her FAT azz on a wanna be harley motorcyle that looked like a childs bicycle under her.
    Great Post John!!
    Last edited by Daveinthebush; 08-27-2007 at 14:27.

Default Lending a helping hand

I appreciate your efforts to help out the boat with the dead battery. I am sharing my opinion via this Forum. However, while you were helping one boat, you were inconveniencing at least three others that couldn't dock their boats at the ramp because the ramp was full. That would have been me and the two boats behind me. Then there were 4 or 5 boats already at the launch waiting to recover that had to maneuver around the 2 / 3 boats in question. All the while, more boats are being launched. Thankfully there was no wind to deal with.

What both boats in my earlier post needed, again in my opinion, should have been 'seaworthy' when first launched. Alaskan weekends seem very short and require thoughtful planning.

Getting my boat off or on the trailer is a challenge today and I'll always accept & give assistance when trailering the boat.

To me, helping other boats at the Whittier ramp/dock means getting your boat in and out of the water as quickly as possible without hindering other boat owners and their families. I will gladly help others 'slide' boats forward, backward, on & off the trailer to facilitate less time on the ramp. I would never consider using valuable ramp space to make mechanical repairs. The short ramp, the long walk to the parking area, all compound the problem.

I've been a 'good samaritan' boat on numerous occasions and used the services of one, once.

Glen Hunt
    cghunt@alaska.net

Default Blocking ramps

Not sure of the situation in Whittier but blocking a boat ramp is a no no. I have been waiting many a time only to have the person respond: We forgot to buy bait. My buddy will be back in a minute. (Bait could be 1/4 mile away). Or, Maltilda went bak to get her purse. One of the crew went to buy raingear.........

When you pull up to a ramp, EVERYTHING should be ready to go! Trailer wires unplugged, boat drain plug in, safety chain off, bow line ready if needed, your rubber boots on and what ever else needs to be done.

The stream of boats leaveing the Valdez dock right now is such that one has to wait from a side dock sometimes 4-5 boats before they can pull out.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

ok, besides the boat jam at the dock how is the silver fishing ?
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

kind of funny how no matter what the question is it always turns into something else :P, but anyways how is the fishing.... like gray said

Slow...big but slow going.

Thumbs up Couldn't have asked for better ....

Saturday, we ran out of Whittier hoping for a day of fun. We were not disappointed in the least. Beautiful weather, calm seas, gorgeous scenery, lots of fish . . . what else could you ask for? Oh yeah ... maybe some shrimp. Well, we hit 4 out of 5.

Went out to one of the islands and followed a bay in a ways. Seemed like we were fishing in a hatchery. Had so many fish jumping around us, it was unreal. Granted, most of them were Pinks, but we still managed to catch as many silvers as we wanted and then continued to release until we were tired of doing so.

Dropped our pots in a spot which produced over 50 per pot early this year; came up with nada. Oh well, can't have everything.

If this was the last weekend of summer, you couldn't have asked for a better combination of weather, scenery, or fishing.

-- Gambler

Default Silvers

Went out early Sunday with four on the boat and had our limit of Silvers in about two hours. Lots of doubles and quite a few nice sized. Wanted to pick up a King but limited out before we found one. Didn't have as much luck with the butts. Watched a Sow and two cubs eating their fill of Pinks which was a nice way to spend an hour. Came back in and saw the larger number of boats at Pigot and quite a few fishing Passage. Talked to a couple of folks at the dock and appartently the fishing was also good in Passage. Doesn't sound like Pigot was very productive...
    Ruby at the end of a good day.

where should I focus on fishing for silvers? I'm heading to Whitter Friday
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Whittier report

Zero, nadda, zilch today although we did miss a few. We fished the bay and Pigot last night and then until 3 PM today. Saturday we picked up 11 and Sunday we picked up 8 off Pigot but with each day it seems to get worse. Also made the run down to Seward and fished Monday and Tuesday, lots of pinks rolling and picked up a couple but the fishing was flat at best. I did see this on the way out last night, can't believe this guys boat didn't roll right off this ledge but there he sat. Must be a great fishing hole because he was off today on the way back in and anchored about 50 feet away.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Bright sun puts off the bite?

I went saturday for a beautiful day of boating and very slow day of fishing, Mooched for hours outside boat harbor, Pigot Point, outside of Smitty's, & even looked in Surprise Cove. We lost one outside the boat harbor and caught one 100 feet of the bird rookery across from town. Saw and heard of only a few being caught by people trolling.

I have heard, and now believe, that bright sunny days put the silver bite off in salt water. Fish jumping everywhere, lots of stuff on the fish finder, but very little bite action...............

I also now wonder if the fish finder displays herring as individual fish rather than as a cloud like the very small minnow schools are displayed. I have several times snagged herring while mooching for a cloud of what I thought were silvers on the fish finder...

Default Opps!

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrown767 View Post
    I did see this on the way out last night, can't believe this guys boat didn't roll right off this ledge but there he sat. Must be a great fishing hole because he was off today on the way back in and anchored about 50 feet away.

Good time to inspect the bottom!

Not to beat a dead horse. I always use the "short" launch (One near the harbor masters) in Whittier. I can launch at low tide there two as my wife is a GREAT backer/driver. When I launch and recover my boat, I ALWAYS park in an empty slip to avoid jamming up the launch area. Maybe the solution in this case would have been to move the disabled boat over to a slip and work on it there. Just my $.02 worth.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by AKBassking View Post

Not to beat a dead horse...Maybe the solution in this case would have been to move the disabled boat over to a slip and work on it there. Just my $.02 worth.
    The solution is to immediately pull the boat back out, find the cause of the problem, and fix it properly before re-launching and heading out to sea.

I'm only beating this dead horse to let others know that jumping batteries at the dock becomes a safety hazard to all others around. Sparks at marina docks often result in explosions. And helping someone jump their battery might get them going short-term, but it does nothing for when the battery goes dead again out in open water, and some poor sole wastes his weekend towing the guy back to harbor. Some favors are better off not made. A guy who can't keep his equipment in tip-top shape, or have the mind to know how to operate it, shouldn't be launching in the first place.

FWIW, three weeks ago in Whittier I watched a guy in a brand new white Ford diesel fart around pulling his fiberglass boat out at the launch. This went on for a half-hour, as 7 other boats waiting to pull out stacked up behind him (including me). The trailer was barely in the water and it appeared he couldn't get the boat on straight. A lady was trying to run the large boat onto the trailer by running both outboards under heavy throttle. The current the engines made knocked the other boats tied up at the dock against each other. I finally lost my patience and asked what the problem was. His buddy said, "he doesn't want to get his new tires wet". I couldn't freaking believe it! Then the guy finally pulls out and stops at the top of the ramp. He didn't even care that vehicles were lined up at the top waiting for him to get out of there. After he piddled around and my driver yelled at him, he moved. His white Ford pick-up had a white decal in the rear window that said "In memory of Captain (someone)". I think there was a Anchorage phone number too.

Some woman about 35 yrs old walked by and said "Don't wish people would buy boats that are small enough for them to handle?" I was thinking; "what?" Then she climbed her FAT azz on a wanna be harley motorcyle that looked like a childs bicycle under her.

Maybe she bought that Harley via a subprime loan. In that case she'll be relegated to an actual pedal type bike in the near future. The SOONER the better right? Besides there should be a weight restriction on Harley's.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast