Thread: Adfg.....

Default Adfg.....

I'm down to the last few painfully long days before departing for my three weeks in the Great Land. Past trips have taught me the value of creating a flexible plan with weather and anticipated salmon runs determining the exact location to start with. At the suggestion of one of the frequent posters/moderators I enlisted the advice of the ADFG for this years options. I was directed to the Palmer office to answer specific questions and talked to a biologist there that was more than just a little helpful. After that conversation I was given the cell number of a "man on the scene". Talk about fresh info! Kudo's to these people...way beyond my expectations. If you don't access this valuable resource of information for your trip...well what can I say. Thanks to Sussie and Scott!

So without giving too much away, what kind of plans do you have for your upcoming trip? I'm on vacation right now in Seattle, but will be back in Anchorage on the 6th. I'm off to Ninilchik the weekend of the 8th for salmon and halibut, but if I can help let me know!

I bought a 13 ft. cataraft from ARK in Anchorage to enable me to expand my opportunities. Being an absolute "novice" I need to be vigilant in my choices of rivers to float. I will have my 12 yr. old grandson accompanying me. My specific questions to the biologists were probably more relevant to the river conditions and degree of difficulty as opposed to the fishing conditions. In planning my trip this year I focused on defining my objectives. It's not all about killing fish. I will have little difficulty in taking home all the salmon I want(not greedy) . The focus for most of our trip will be experiencing the relative solitude, wildlife, and the adventure of floating a river.. I know I cannot expect to get to "virgin" wilderness without flying deep into the bush, but I do expect to find a river that is not shoulder to shoulder and far less spoiled that what we contend with in Florida. A variety of fish to include greyling, char, and rainbows is also a priority. We will spend a couple of days on the Willow doing day floats; will probably due a three or four day Little Su trip; maybe an East Fork trip; and for sure a float from Petersville road via Moose Creek/Deshka. A cooler filling trip to the Kenai Penn. (although I'm not too wild about the crowds) will probably be on the agenda for the first week of August. My point in starting this thread was to thank the most helpful biologists I spoke with, and to remind others in planning thier trips of the great resource (ADFG) that is available to everyone.

Agree with you 100%. The area biologist are a great resource for up-to-date info and the price is right. They get bashed around from time to time and it's nice to hear someone having a positive experience and letting others know! Sounds like you have a busy schedule and I'm sure you and your grandson will have a great time fish or not!