Thread: Moose hunters information challenge

Arrow Moose hunters information challenge

This is a challenge for all of us interested in moose hunting to work together as a community to provide the best information on the `Net for moose hunters.

We now have a page on the Alaska Outdoors Wiki that is specifically for moose hunting. It already has 1,500 words, but it is far from complete. Furthermore, some of those words could be better said.

There is actually relatively little good information freely available on the web about moose hunting. With relatively little individual effort, we can build a resource that will help Alaskans and visitors for decades. Whether you contribute a new sentence, repair a problem in a paragraph or add an entire new section, your work with benefit others.

Would you join the project? Just navigate to the page and look it over. When you see something you can contribute or improve, just click the edit button at the top of the page and do it!

David
    Last edited by Webmaster; 08-26-2007 at 14:12. Reason: Changed title

Arrow Thanks

Thanks for the edits so far.

To those who have not yet tried any editing, go ahead and try it. If you don't have it exactly right, others will help, so don't let that stop you!

Obviously, we want to do our best, but none of us know it all....

David
    Last edited by Webmaster; 08-26-2007 at 22:38. Reason: Added more information

Thumbs up More edits...

Still more edits have come in...thanks for your work on this, guys. This is good stuff.

David

Default More edits posted

Members have added some good information. Here is the most recent:
    Hunting Methods

There are a number of moose hunting methods that are used in Alaska. Here are the most common:
    • Float Hunting involves the use of watercraft to access more of Alaska's moose habitats. Typically, hunters are dropped off in the upper reaches of a river or large creek and then float down river towards the pickup point, hunting as they go.
    • Road Hunting is popular but probably the least effective method. In this, hunters drive through areas open to hunting where moose are found and simply look for moose. The best approach is to stop and glass from various vantage points.
    • Spot and Stalk is effective from vantage points in areas of good moose populations. In this method, a hunter looks over the area until a legal moose is seen, and then stalks to within shooting range. Hours or even days of spotting may be required.
    • Still Hunting can sometimes be effective in areas of good moose abundance where hunters have good knowledge of their habits. Moose are well equipped with large ears and sensitive noses and excellent vision, so this method requires skill. It is perhaps the least used of the hunting methods.
    • Moose Calling can be very effective, especially during the later part of the season when moose are beginning to move around as increasing hormone levels move bulls and cows toward breeding. See additional calling information below.
    Resources Others have corrected spelling, modified grammar, and added clarifying content.

If you haven't yet added your piece, you are welcome.

David

Arrow Additional improvements

Additional improvements have been made to the moose hunting page, including the addition of a section on hunting methods.

If you haven't jumped in yet, try the water. Making additions and edits is easy and will help people down the line.

These pages are starting to show up now in the Google directory. As we develop more of these pages, more and more people will begin to use this resource.

Thanks to those who have contributed so far!

David

I just did a large re write for you Field Care section...and the system said "sorry" we lost your data. I should have cut and saved it on WORD, my bad. I will try again when I am less frustrated.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Unhappy Frustration

Man, am I sorry to hear that. That has not happened yet to me, but once it does I'll probably start doing just what you said, especially with larger re-writes.

Trouble is, sometimes what start out to be small additions or re-writes can turn into larger ones.

Thanks for your effort...I hope you will re post when your teeth aren't grinding any more.

David

Quote Originally Posted by Roger45 View Post
    I just did a large re write for you Field Care section...and the system said "sorry" we lost your data. I should have cut and saved it on WORD, my bad. I will try again when I am less frustrated.