Thread: Anyone canoe down the Nenana river?

Default Anyone canoe down the Nenana river?

Anyone out there float the nenana river in unit 20 from the Rex bridge down to Nenana? Anyone go down the Seventeen mile slough? I am interested in anyone who has actually done this as far as how are the river conditions, and if it is doable with a couple canoes with a capacity between 900 and 1200 pounds? Any thoughts or experience would be great. Would you consider this float something doable for a beginner in canoeing? Thanks.

cubecove

I've never done it, but I recall hearing from others that have. I understand it is not too difficult for rafters, and the same for experienced canoeists. But you also might want to look at the http://fairbankspaddlers.org website. They have a page on the Nenana where they say, "...the river mellows out to a classic Alaskan swift class II braided river, with log jams and cutbanks..."

we did it a few years ago. the water is braided and at some places we'd take the wrong braid and end up walking the boat through the riffles. the boat we traveled in is a 17 foot old town tripper which is the capacity range your talking about.

I am not sure where the 17 mile slough is. As for beginners, hmm, you talking beginners with no experience? The issue I'd be concerned about is choosing the right section of river to run, otherwise you'd have alot of work ahead of you working the boat through shallow water. Like it was mentioned, sweepers are a concern, can you negotiate those?

It's been a few years but there is a lot of wood in that stretch...deadmen (loose rolling logs), widowmakers (logs stuck on the bottom bobbing on/above the surface) and sweepers.

Its also really braided and nearly impossible to distinguish the 17 mile split off without a GPS other than bearing right all the way down.

Not a trip for novices IMO

The Nenana has too many obstacles and is too cold to be considered a beginner river. I haven't had a chance to paddle Delta Clearwater, but you might give that a try or some of the lakes between Fairbanks and Delta...

Thanks for the tips. I am a beginner, but my canoeing partner has some experience. We will be going in an 18 foot Royalex ABS Raven canoe. Most of the trip will be down the 17 mile slough. We are going to put the canoe in near Anderson and head down to Nenana. Hopefully we will find the correct path or else we will be dragging the canoe most of the way.

cubecove

Default Well?

You still alive? How was it?

I am thinking about doing the trip next July with my kids in Kayaks. Float from the Rex down to Anderson.

Default RIP

Quote Originally Posted by baja4ever View Post
    You still alive?
    Guessnot.