Thread: The latest on Valdez silvers

Smile The latest on Valdez silvers

Hey all... I am curious how fishing has been recently for silvers out of Valdez. Any reports, pointers, bragging stories, tales of adventure you care to share?
    Thanks for posting!

Default Just back in

Just back in. We (my guest) wanted only three fish so we limited out in about a hour. Nice 12-14 pound fish.

The fish are strung out from the city dock up to Gold Creek out to the Cliff Mine and still coming in through the Narrows.

A pink lady, flasher, dark green hoochie tipped with herring trolled at 2.2-2.5 mph will catch them all day long. We had one on the minute we dropped the rig in the water befroe I could start the boat. Soon people are moching and doing well. Even Vibrex, #4, from shore are doing well. Fish are IN.

Side note: My shrimping has improved greatly. Two good pulls back to back setting the pots on top of coral in 325-350 feet of water. Don't other asking for my spot. Season is almost over.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Smile Thanks for the report

Hey Dave,
    That is nice of you to give the report. I appreciate it.
    Encouraging to know if we head down there this week that the timing is right. It's been a year too long away from the saltwater! That 19-pounder that lady caught for the derby is big compared to some years. I guess the odds of topping that aren't so good but it will sure be nice to spend some time fishing down there. Maybe we will see you around.
    Thanks again!

Talking Caught a Bundle

Just got back from a Sat/Sun fishing trip and everyone on the boat (5) limited each day.

Sat was a good bit of large fish including a few around 14 or so pounds. We were fishing with two lines hooked to the same down-rigger 20 feet apart, seemed that the deeper line got most of the action. It took 6 1/2 hours to catch 30 fish. We fished right near mineral creek just trolling around.

Sunday were smaller fish more around 8-10 pounds but were better fighters so that was fun. Same spot as the day before. Did pull up a few with the shallower rod (25 feet) and they were actually bigger so perhaps if you have time maybe try a different depth in hopes of finding a bigger set of fish. We had to drive back to Fairbanks so we fished fast and furious and limited in 4 hours (again 30 fish).

It was a great trip this year and I am looking forward to next year.

P.S. We were fishing with green hootchies and small strips of herring just for the smell. smaller flashers as well.

I am new to downriggers. How do you hook two lines at different depths. I only have one downrigger on my boat and this info would be a big help. Thanks, Rob

Man this sucks. Wish i had a place to stay down there or id be there. hotels are out of the question. I leave state in less than 2 weeks so i need all the money I can get. oh well. Good luck to you guys.

Quote Originally Posted by robf15e View Post
    I am new to downriggers. How do you hook two lines at different depths. I only have one downrigger on my boat and this info would be a big help. Thanks, Rob
    Never mind... A quick search on the internet and I ansered my own question. As you can tell, I have not used mine yet....

Quote Originally Posted by bruinman View Post
    Man this sucks. Wish i had a place to stay down there or id be there. hotels are out of the question. I leave state in less than 2 weeks so i need all the money I can get. oh well. Good luck to you guys.
    Hey tents are cheap, that's what I will be doing.

Talking Oh well

I understand you guys might have a problem with the cost of a hotel. Heck I do when in Anchorage. SO, where can I stay down here overnight in a tent and not pay. Of course no facilities would be available.

Dayville Rd. - after the second or third bridge look for a gravel road going down the bank on the right. Follow it down to an old gravel pit and actually down to a part of the Lowe River. (might be bears)

Exiting the canyon, left hand side there is a gravel road W/stop sign. It leads to the pipeline access but part way down there are two gravel roads on the right that lead back to old gravel pits. Lots of places to park for the night, quiet usually.

Yellow light, turn left, past hardware store, metal building on left, turn just past it, look for gravel roads on the right. You can pull in there and no one will bother you.

Yellow light, turn right, past airport, past gun range, Valdez Glacier parking area is at the end. But lots of little places to pull out for the night in the old gravel pits. Watch for goats on the mountains.

Public rest rooms: 1. Under the Harbor Masters office, shower. 2. Same street 1/4 mile west on LH side. 3. On Fildago St. right hand side (between HM and city dock. 4. Main Street, 1st Natl. Bank, Lh side, laundry mat has 2 public showers.

Good luck guys. I have a date with a cow moose in Fairbanks. No not an Eharmony thing - DM788 moose.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Fish are in. Caught out limit everyday of 18 in under two hours. We used down riggers, flashers, and herring flies or spoons. Alot of Jelly fish to messing up your down riggers and to let you know where the cuts are on your hands. Valdez is a great fishery. FISH ON
    Some guys that I new down there tried from shore and said, "that they couldn't though the humpies."

Rob,

Being from Wisconsin I fish lake Michigan alot for salmon and down riggers are a must. Stacking lines for us small boaters (I have a 16 footer) gives us better coverage of the water column. For a second rod on a down rigger, I have a second release that clips to the down rigger cable with a pinch pad Another way is to use a slider, six feet of line with swivels on both ends, lure on one and clip it to the line that runs to the ball,(two baits running off the same rod) and either just let it slide down the line after your downrigger is set (it runs about 2/3's of the depth of the ball) or use the second release, that way you know the depth it's running at. When a fish hits, you have to reel like crazy to take the slack up, at times we're fishing over a hundred feet down and there is quite a bow in the line. Don't know what it's like there (never been to Alaska) but we're starting to make plans for next summer, it's been a dream of ours to spend a summer there and will of course bring the fish poles with.

Thanks Norm. Hopefully I'll get to try it this weekend. If so, I'll report the results.

Smile Awesome fishing in Valdez for Silvers

Yep, they sure are in. The time is right. I've been making an annual pilgrimage to Valdez for saltwater silvers for years and sometimes hit it a bit too early but not this time. Everyone we talked to were limiting out in just a couple hours. The mornings seemed better for most people as the waters of the Port were calmer then since the winds were picking up in the afternoons creating some nice little wave action.

We stopped trolling for a while when the choppy waves were getting tiresome and just let the boat drift along and we let our lines over the side and let the rocking of the boat both troll and mooch for us and it resulted in some nice hookups. The hits seemed to come harder while fishing this way and we didn't have to mess with trolling at all. Caught some chum salmon too. My buddy had a terrific hit that practically dragged him overboard (well, not quite) and instantly severed the line. I kind of doubt it was a big salmon though it could have been but it definitely was a tug tug of a bite and not a snag or log. Salmon shark maybe?

The weather is great, good temperatures and really good fishing. I can't complain a bit.

I hope all of you had or get the chance to fish the silvers out of Valdez when they are in. Take a kid fishing!!!

Stay safe out there... we saw one skiff that was way close to waterline with a bunch of people on board and many standing up without life jackets on. I'd hate to see some big ***** wave knock 'em overboard.

Oh ya, some guy was out kiteboarding near mineral creek. Man did that look fun... and like your shoulders would feel it the next day!
    Last edited by Skrat; 08-30-2007 at 03:04. Reason: typo!

Any words from Valdez this weekend? Everyone must be fishing. Unfortunately I couldn't make the trip. Wife and daughter got sick and I waited too long to book a hotel. I guess there is always next weekend... But I think that is the start of football season. Ohh the choices....