Thread: New here, looking at buying a sled and need opinions

Default New here, looking at buying a sled and need opinions

Hi, I'm going to look at a 2002 Yamaha Mounain max tomorrow. Anyone have any known issues with this sled. The research I did indicates it's a pretty good all around machine. Thanks for you help.

Dave

What are you going to use the sled for? Deep powder, climbing, trail riding?
    For a 2002 I think there are a lot of mountain sleds in that same age bracket that are better. Describe your intended use and $ you want to spend.

I would use it mostly for trail riding with the occasional excursion into the deep stuff or a good hill climb. Also the ability to get out of the powder if I messed up and strayed from a trail. Looking at around $2500 for this sled

I would go with a Polaris RMK or a Ski Doo Summit in a 700 or 800 with no less then a 136" track (prefer 144"). If you watch Craigslist.com you can find a great deal.

I would second what north2ak says.

Thumbs up a vote for the Mtn Max

My personal opinion is that the Mtn Max 700 triple is one of the better all around sleds you can get. You can't beat them for dependability. (The Yamaha triple 700cc engine is practically bullet proof)

I trail ride maybe 50% of the time, deep powder
    maybe 30% and climb 20% of the time. My sled has tons O' torque, and handles great.

You can get better machines for deep powder or climbing, (lighter & longer tracked) but then you start losing some of the fun factor for trail & swamp riding. (less nimble) My sled climbs plenty well for me and does plenty well in the deep stuff. On trails and in swamps etc it kicks *****.

My wife rides a 2000 mountain max 600 tripple. Great Sled! It has lots of torque which is nice for boondocking. We aren't into climbing so I can't comment how it does on that. Her sled does great on the trail. The ohlins suspension sucks up alot of the bumps. The only downfall is it is hard to start after it sits for a few days.

My vote is also for RMK or Summitx,

Default Nice Sled But Hard to Start

I also ride a 2001 MM 600. I agree with the thing being hard to start after it has sat for a while especially in cold temps ( below 0). Once I get it warmed up it does good but all my Polaris and Arctic Cat friends seem to always have to wait for me to get running after we pull them off the trailers. The MM also seems awful heavy compared to most and my back will agree. All in all though, a good sled both for trail riding and the deep stuff.

Default Yamaha nice sled

I've owned all of them, and the Yamaha clutch is faster, meaning it's more difficult to go slow than the Polaris and Skidoo. Also, it's louder than the Polaris. If you are an aggressive rider, you'll be glad you got the Yamaha. If you're an old fart, it will be up for sale next winter.
    Finally, consider that Polaris and Skidoo have twice as many dealers as Yamaha.

The yamahas are nice sleds ( i have an 98 srx 600 that i bought brand new)...but they are really tough to start. Sometimes (first initial start up of the year) i gotta pull that thing over 20 times to get the gas up into the cylinders. It's always been like that. Runs great and starts fairly easily once it warms up. Yamaha's don't have the greatest suspensions either, and are a lot heavier (triple cylinder). My polaris xcsp 600 i bought last year rides like a cadillac vs yamaha. I've had very few problems with the yamaha...and would consider it bullet-proof. Just my 2 cents.

Here is a simple idea. Are you going to be riding with other people? If so, you probably want to have something similar to what they have. If they are all riding mountain sleds, you don't want to be stuck all day while they are having fun. If you get a mountain sled, it will be tougher to ride on the trails, especially if you are riding on tight trails.

I considered the MM but lucked into a great deal on a like new 800 mountain cat. I also looked at the AC powder special. I would agree with the skidoo summits they have great suspension for that era. I just couldn't find one reasonably priced that wasn't totaly wrung out. I was told the samething you have allready heard from previous owners. Hard to start and Heavy but dependable. I think you can do better in that price range

I would go with the Mountain max depending on how many miles are on it and the price. DO NOT BUY any kind of Arctic Cat unless you want to be working on it constantly. If you want reliablity and a really smooth powerband, go with the mountain max. The summits are good sleds also as well as RMKs, but the mountain max will hang with the rest of them no question. Ive done it.