Thread: Springfield XD--Sub Compact

Default Springfield XD--Sub Compact

Anyone have any experience with Springfield XD auto's? I am considering a 3" Sub-Compact, 9mm. I have a Glock, but don't know much about the XD's. Any input is appreciated.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Ruger01 View Post
    Anyone have any experience with Springfield XD auto's? I am considering a 3" Sub-Compact, 9mm. I have a Glock, but don't know much about the XD's. Any input is appreciated.

Thanks!
    I can only speak from my experience and have no idea what others think of the gun. We have the XD subcompact in 9mm ...it's my wife's carry gun. We've also owned Glocks as well (G26, G17). Both my wife and I really love the XD, and agree that it handles better than the Glocks (in our humble opinion.) The weight distribution is different and it just feels better. And for whatever reason, the XD seems to be a natural shooter for both of us and right out of the box, both of us shot the gun accurately ...more accurately than with the Glocks we already owned. Recoil is well managed and the gun seems to be back on target after a shot quicker and easier than with the Glocks. The quality seems to be just fine and it feeds and shoots any ammo that we've put in it. So in a nutshell, we're really happy with the gun. I sold the Glocks. Hope that helps.

Brian

I have had negative experiences with the 2 XD's I've shot. The first one was a 9mm compact that misfed when I shot it in -10 degree F weather while my glock shot flawlessly. It was a very accurate gun for a subcompact when it did shoot. I think the problem might have been with the magazine.
    The second one I shot was a .40 fullsize and jammed when I tried to shoot factory UMC flat-nosed jacketed rounds. I only got off 1 shot. My H&K shot flawlessly with the same ammo.
    Personally I think the gun is overrated based on my few experiences with them. They get a lot of hype in the gun world which I fully don't understand but maybe I just had some bad luck with them.
    I would spend the extra $200 and buy a H&K USPC or p2000 sk.

I carried a XD tactical 5inch, loved the gun but hated the finish, compared to a glock the finish is cheap. after the gun got wet, rusted overnight. Glocks have a finish that stands up to anything. I traded my XD for a HK USP.

Quote Originally Posted by moodyone View Post
    I carried a XD tactical 5inch, loved the gun but hated the finish, compared to a glock the finish is cheap. after the gun got wet, rusted overnight. Glocks have a finish that stands up to anything. I traded my XD for a HK USP.
    We've never had that problem, but I lube all of our guns with Corrosion X, giving them a 10-minute soak in it once a year. Not a spec of rust anywhere. Works on boat trailers and outdoor hinges, locks, etc too. On non-gun stuff, I find that I only have to lube once every several years if I use Corrosion X. Note: No affiliation whatsoever ...a commercial longliner friend in Anchorage told me about the stuff. They use it on the ship.

Brian

Default Corrosion X

TananaBrian - Iv'e never heard of Corrosion X. Do you just soak the slide, including all internal parts of the slide, in the liquid? Does this stuff have any negative affects on the gun or it's components? If not, this could be benneficial. I live in Juneau, where there is lots of moisture. I always have to pay close attention to my guns to keep them from rusting.

TananaBrian - Iv'e never heard of Corrosion X. Do you just soak the slide, including all internal parts of the slide, in the liquid? Does this stuff have any negative affects on the gun or it's components? If not, this could be benneficial. I live in Juneau, where there is lots of moisture. I always have to pay close attention to my guns to keep them from rusting.
    I lived in Oregon before here ...standard blued guns in the constant downpour during hunting season. Not as much rain as Juneau, but similar in style.

Go to corrosionx.com and read up on the stuff. It's just a special oil. They've got versions for guns, reels, general purpose, and a new heavy duty version (just bought some today ...NAPA had it.) A long time ago, there was an oil product called G96 (and I'm sure that several here remember it) that was advertised to stick to the metal like a magnet. If the oil is (or contains?) polar molecules, then it will tend to penetrate and naturally stick to the metal surface. G96 was like that, but Corrosion X seems to last much much longer. The second thing that Corrosion X has going for it are the anti-corrosive chemicals that get carried along with the oil. Between naturally penetrating (the polar molecule deal), sticking to the metal (polar molecules again), and the chemicals that go everywhere the oil goes, Corrosion X seems to really work well. I've got outdoor locks and hinges that haven't been lubed in years but still work because their last lube was with Corrosion X. My truck door hinges used to squeak horribly all the time and I tried every lube availalbe (WD-40, silicon, various greases, stick grease, graphite) and none lasted very long. The Corrosion X that I put on had not been refreshed in 4 or 5 years and the doors are still operating quietly. Note: The competitor is called Corrosion Block (or Blocker?) ...it is NOT equivalent. It may have good chemicals in it and the USAF uses it, but it doesn't stick to the metal and last for years like Corrosion X does. So anyway, check it out. You can use it on anything that you'd normally use oil on, and it won't wreck anything that is survives normal gun oils. The viscosity is a little higher than with WD-40 and other penetrating oils too, but don't let it fool you. Just put a little on and let it naturally spread into the nooks and crannies. As always, all the cautions that go along with oil, e.g. not too much on a bolt with a firing pin inside, apply ...it *is* an oil afterall.

Check around Juneau. I'd be surprised if someone didn't carry it locally, like NAPA or the marina. If they don't have it, check with the airport mechanics shops. It's used on airplanes too. You can get it mail-order too (Google it.) Don't worry about what kind you buy. I think the various 'types' just utilize different packaging. The gun (or reel) version have a really nice long thin dropper tip that lets you put tiny drops in hidden locations. I like that. The aerosol spray version is least useful unless treating things like leaf springs or trailer hitches or rusty wheel barrow axles (yup, that irritating squeak will go away...).

Better get off the bandwagon. I've been using it for 7 or 8 years now, so I have a lot of stories to tell I guess. It works. Why change now?

Brian

When I said "soak", I just meant 'get all surfaces lubricated and let sit for awhile before wiping off the excess' ...not an actual soak in a tub full of the stuff or anything like that. Follow your usual precautions about not over-lubricating wood stocks ...that can soften the wood if done on a regular basis (with any oil.) Won't hurt laminated or synthetic stocks or parts. I use it as a final lube inside the barrel too, especially before hunting in the rain.

Brian

Default Thanks!

Thanks all for the information. TananaBrian--I'll have to pick up a bottle of that Corossion X--that seems like it might do the trick!

Thanks all for the information. TananaBrian--I'll have to pick up a bottle of that Corossion X--that seems like it might do the trick!
    No problem. I'm not trying to be a salesman, really. But I'm just very surprised at how good it works. First product in a long time that lives up to or beyond the marketing statements. My only beef with it is that I'd like it to be slightly lower in viscosity, but I also find that it spreads out so thin and creeps into every nook and cranny that it really doesn't matter. Example) I put one drop on the lower hinge of our Dodge Caravan sliding door hinge ...by next morning, the stuff had spread out to about a 2-1/2" circle and it doesn't wipe off. Same with the door hinges on the truck. One drop on top and by the next morning, the whole hinge was lubed and squeak-free. Use the stuff sparingly.

Brian

I can't say much about the compact XD but as for the .45 5'', I love mine and use is as a Winter Concealed Carry piece. It eats everything i through in there and it is actually the only .45 that I can honestly say I can shoot the fastest and most acurately.

I have sold quite a few XD's in my gun shop. Everyone has been very satisfied, one fella shot the best group he has ever fired with a handgun with an XD9 4". It is a much more natural pointer than the Glock, not putting down the Glock, its a fine gun. I'm mostly a wheel gun man, myself.
    Old Cowboys never die, they just keep riding the Range.

Thanks!
    I have the sub compact in 9mm. As a concealed carry piece it really can't be beat. It's a whole lot better than the Glock, (my opinion). I can carry it on my leg in a Galco Ankle Glove or on a belt. Not really much bigger than a PPK/S

I have the XD .40.

Of the two twelve round clips I have, one of them wasn't feeding well at first and would cause a jam. But, after some use, it "broke in" and works perfectly now.

The gun does tend to get small rust spots in the seat of the rear sight, but a brush and lubricant clears it right away.

I like the way it handles and feels.