Thread: Best Way to Cache Gear?

Default Best Way to Cache Gear?

Me and my hunting partner are planning a scouting trip into our moose hunting area. We would really like to haul in some of our gear to lighten the load going in before the opener. What is the best way to keep critters / people out of our stuff. I would prefer not to carry a 55 gallon drum in.

Thanks

garbage bag, burlap bag and then g.p.s. location after you hang it high in a tree.

An old camoflaged pack frame hung close to the trunk of a large spruce tree is hard to see .... unless you know it is there, plus the frame is useful while you are out there.

Default Make

sure it is out of sight! I know people that have gone back out to find gas and gear gone! I would put it in a bear proof container of some type and stash it really well out of sight then GPS it. I know the Army/Navy store here in Fairbanks sells ammo cans pretty cheap and they are plenty strong. Good luck.

Never said it was out of sight just hard to see, but if enough people walk by it someone will find it. The only way I know of to keep people from finding a cache is to put everything in an open top barrel seal it and bury it in the middle of the woods.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by A_K_H_U_N_T_E_R View Post
    ....What is the best way to keep critters / people out of our stuff. I would prefer not to carry a 55 gallon drum in.......
    There is no way possible to keep people out of your stuff. Period.

If you keep it bear proof, it's as "proof" as it gets.

.... I would prefer not to carry a 55 gallon drum in....
    A drum is the only way to go. It will keep the bears from getting to it, but if you only keep bearproof stuff out there, that isn't a problem, anyway. The biggest key is keeping other people out of it.

Good luck.

I use overpacks. Overpacks come in sizes ranging from 22 gallon to 58 gallon. I bury them by 2/3rds (only a third exposed).

And people still find them. No bear problems. People problems.......