Thread: Moose score

Default Moose score

Ok, I realize this isn't a trophy bull but it will be very, very good in the stew pot. This goofy bull stood looking at me yesterday morning, so I let him have it between the eyes. It was hot and the bugs were so bad I didn't have time to try to figure out how to use the timer on the camera, otherwise I'd have tried to get my mug included in the photo. Next year I'm going to consider hunting with a partner, these 50 year old bones are plenty sore today. Of course, that's what I said last time!!
    Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

Default good job

Ill take one like that any day.

Default Good Deal

Its always been my contention to never pass up the first legal animal that you have a chance at. Spike/forks eat good.

Nice moose. I hear you about the heat and bugs they are a pain when working on a downed animal.

Talking A

A moose in the hand is better than a moose in the bush. Good job. My first was a spike fork. And he was fork tender.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Nice! Congrats on tagging one.

Great job! Let us know how he tastes.

Thumbs up Certainly...

more portable!
    Kudos, Doug!

Frank

Default I think...

Any animal you harvest here is a trophy...
    ...Jackie Bushman is a TOOL

Default nice score and questions

i am really interested in trying to connect on a spike what did you find was helpful , cow calls , light grunts or did you just bump into him anyway congratulations and good eating

Default High Five Brother.

Nice work, you can't eat the antlers, the spikes are better tasting... that all ads up to a pile of good meals all winter.
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

Quote Originally Posted by blackbear View Post
    i am really interested in trying to connect on a spike what did you find was helpful , cow calls , light grunts or did you just bump into him anyway congratulations and good eating
    In my opinion, it's too early for cow calls and grunts. Heck, it's too early to hunt, just too hot and the flies and yellow jackets are unbelievable. I usually don't hunt moose until mid-September but with the shortened season a guy really doesn't have much choice. It's also my opinion that the most important thing while moose hunting is to take your time. You'd be surprised at what you miss when you're in a hurry or hiking balls to walls trying to cover a lot of ground. Of course, age has taught me this. When I was younger, I was a wild man, just couldn't cover enough ground. I killed moose but had to work a lot harder at it. When I think back on those times, I wonder how many moose I walked by without knowing they were there.
    Just my opinion.
    Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

Good Job!!

Default Nice!

Excelllent job! You filled your harvest tag with a nice animal. Time to break out the recipies and look forward to a protein filled winter!! I'll take one like that any day!!

Perfect size I'd say. Want to see one that size for my younger son to shoot to give away to all the elders in the community, and other relative in neighboring villages.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

Nice job....
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Way to go! I love those little guys, shot a few myself. YUUUMMMYYY !! I'll shoot the first legal bull I see.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Thanks guys, and yep, he is yummy!!!