Thread: Whittier to Homer

Default Whittier to Homer

We're looking for a change of scenery, so are planning on moving our Bayliner 3270 from Whittier to Homer this fall. This will get us out of the brutal winter there (wind & snow), and have us ready for some serious halibut and king fishing next season. Will go from Whittier to Seward, top off, and then all the way around to Homer. Anybody made this trip before? Any advice/tips? How about weather? I went out to Montague for deer on Veteran's Day a couple years ago, and it was ROUGH. I assume we just watch it, pick a window and go. We're probably going to make the move late September. Thanks, David

Default Whittier to Homer

David:
    I've made the trip from Whittier to Seward several times late in the fall and the weather can be pretty nasty; the worst weather I've been in (ever!) was one late September trip to Seward and we hit 20+ footers in Blying Sound. There were three of us that trip, a 32' and two 37' Bayliners and the guy on the 32' mentioned that he saw two Dall porpoises swimming in the water, but he was looking up at them!! The 37' behind me would go completely out of sight in the wave troughs (you should see the video!). I've never been from Seward to Homer, but I can imagine it would be spectacular! Like always, pick your weather and be prepared to hole up for days at a time. Incidentally, I've crossed the Gulf twice from Hitchenbrook Entrance to Cape Spencer and neither trip was really rough like the trip was to Seward that particular day. Good luck! SE Mike

Default Seward to Homer

You need to try and time your trip from Seward to Homer so that you turn the corner around either high or low slack as a large area just around the tip of the peninsula gets rough when the tide is running. A condition we always referred to as “confused seas” as there seems to be no prevailing direction. I ran from Seward to Kodiak and then from Kodiak to Homer and that was roughest area. I got a good view of it from the air one time when flying to Kodiak.

Default Once

Made the trip once, we got behind the Blue Canoe, Alaska State Ferryto Seward. Made navigation easy and would of broke any heavy water had there been any. Wonderful trip

Default Trip

Thanks for the input. Much appreciated. I have a HEALTHY respect for the seas out there, and am very happy to hide out for several days if necessary. Roger on the "confused seas". I will be sure to time it for slack. Thanks again. David