Thread: 404 Jeffrey

Default 404 Jeffrey

Am thinking about a rifle in a larger caliber than a 375H&H have been toying with the idea of a 404 Jeffrey.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

As long as you can get the brass and bullets you want, it's a dandy caliber. A friend has a beautiful G&H 404, original down to claw scope mounts and ramp style express sights. Years ago he wasn't a reloader and left it with me to work up loads, providing 200 rounds of brass and 1000 bullets for me to work up loads and furnish him in the end with 200 rounds of loaded ammo.

One thing led to another and he couldn't pick it up for a couple of years. I meanwhile went through the 1000 bullets, bought 1000 more and barely had enough to provide him the agreed 200 loaded rounds when he finally picked it up. Brass life seemed excellent, because I was still on the originals when I loaded that last batch.

Darned near broke my heart when he finally picked it up, but even then it was worth a lot more than any car I was driving. He wasn't about to sell it to me anyway.

Awsome caliber.

Midway has ammo loaded by A-Square.

Brass too I believe.

Lots of custom bullets out there too.

It is very pricey though. (around $20 a round when I last checked)

Even if a conversion is cheap the ammo cost is going to get your money from you unless you reload.

I wish it would make a manufacturer rifle list (especially since it is the parent case of so many new rounds) so popularity and demand would bring down prices.

jedi

CZ makes their safari rifle chambered for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    CZ makes their safari rifle chambered for it.
    I am right handed but shoot bolt rifles lefty so I forget about rifles not made lefty...thanks for the info.

jedi

Try to find a Winchester .300 RUM in left hand. All it takes is a re-barrel and you'll have your .404.