Thread: Funny Haul Road Observations

Default Funny Haul Road Observations

We were able to do our first "haul road" caribou hunt this year and it was a neat experience. While I come from midwest deer hunting background I am used to lots of people and seeing goofy things, there were a couple of strategies I watched and simply laughed at:

1. We set up on a nice group of bulls where we thought they were going to cross the road. Our set up didn't work, but a couple guys is a red pickup drove quickly south down the road when they saw the group wasn't headed for us. They got out of the pickup and quickly tried to get to an ambush spot. They were a little slow and the animals saw them and started veering away and back up a hill, with a little quickness to their step. Well one of the guys, instead of realizing he was made and should give up, started running after the caribou! He looked like a wolf running up toward the animals which were increasing their pace every second. He must have run after them for a good 15-20 seconds. I hadn't laughed so hard in a while.

2. We (along with a bunch of others) were spread out using the pipeline as cover waiting for a herd to decide where it was going to cross. When one guy figured out it was not going to be anywhere near him, he proceeded to hold his bow over his head like a set of antlers and started walking toward them. Again I laughed real hard.

Are these typical strategies?
    Our trip results:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwrEZ21QiM0

Quote Originally Posted by kcedar View Post
    he proceeded to hold his bow over his head like a set of antlers and started walking toward them....
    Amazingly enough, this has worked before for both moose and caribou!!

Talking Alaska ain't yo typical state...

"Are these typical strategies?"

Moose & caribou ain't yo typical deer... :P

Default Works for me...

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    Amazingly enough, this has worked before for both moose and caribou!!
    I have done this with both my arms, and with a rifle and have had the caribou walk right at me. IA bow would probably work a lot better as it resebles antlers a lot more than arms or a rifle would. At the least, they are usually curious and will stop moving away for a brief time, sometimes opening themselves up to a shot.

Caribou are typically very stupid animals.

I've heard of holding a white bucket over your head to bring in moose in rut...
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default been there...

Like yesterday I remember my first "chasing" experience. Next thing I know...5 miles seemed closer than the truck. Needless to say, I chaulked that up as a lesson learned.

Same year, a buddy held his bow over his head. Stopped the Bou, but I couldn't have helped as I was laughing my butt off. It does work...but to see your hunting bro act so **** goofy was enough for me. You see, it wasn't that he was holding it over his head...he was moving all about as well. Imagine the late-great James Brown bustin' out some moves Bou hunting!!

Tony

Cool video...

I'm curious... what'd you think of the ethics of the hunters up there? Good, bad, as expected?

Default nice

That was a fun video to watch, good tunes too, fit the moment. nice animal.
    Justin

Default you guys are from...

Minnesota or Wisconsin eh?
    Good vid...

Haha! I think I saw my sheep hunting spot on the video.

If holding the bow over the head is a strategy, what about the running after them like a wolf?

I didn't perceive ethical problems really. Our set up got kinda busted once. We screwed up and probably busted someone else's because we didn't figure out where everyone was in a timely fashion. Overall, it seemed most everyone we saw and met were pretty normal, our kinda hunter guys (and a few gals).

Our son left today to go back to college in Minnesota so I was glad I got the video done before he left so we could share it. The wife and I are kinda bumming.

Nice video

I only asked as I felt like this year we saw more questionable acts than last year; however, the caribou were concentrated in a smaller area relative to the road so we probably just saw more people and thus more actions.

Congrats on the successful trip.