Thread: Need A New Boat. Moving To The Area.

Default Need A New Boat. Moving To The Area.

I Am Moving Into Anchorage Around The End Of Sept. I Will Be Needing A New Boat. What Kinds Of Boats Are You All Using In The Area? What Would Be Considered An Ideal Set Up For All Kinds Of Fishing?

I Have Never Been Up To The State, And Mostly Always Fished In The Deep South( Nc, Sc, Ga, Fl, Tx). Most Of My Fishing Has Been Saltwater. I Have Fished Out Of 2 Boats For About The Last 8 Years. I Recently Sold Them. A 19 Ft Carolina Skiff, And A 22ft Walkaround Angler. I Understand That They Are Very Pricey In Ak, And Have Been Told That Most Boats Are Aluminum.

Thanks TAB999

Research searunners... and take the course offered by the coast guard on safety first... alaska is MUCH different then your previous locations, dont wana read about you in the newspaper........... // Some good advice is to go out on a couple charters to areas you plan to visit on yourself later on, ask lots of questions and get a feel for the area. Always check the weather forecast... and know how to read the seas and sky, always be prepared to anchor up in a cove for a day or more to let a storm blow over- Fishing is EXTREMELY fun but dont let it become dangerous

Some great boats/companies.

-Kingfisher (By harbercraft)
    -Hewescraft ( Sea runner )
    - North river
    - Woolridge
    - Many others*--- Alumnium will be your best choice

Thanks For The Info. I Have Been Through Several Safety Coures, And Have A Captains License. I Am Not New To Boating Nor Fishing. I Will Properly Prepare Myself.

Quote Originally Posted by TAB999 View Post
    What Would Be Considered An Ideal Set Up For All Kinds Of Fishing?

No such thing. We have rivers, lakes, and saltwater and all require something different to be ideal.

You might wait untill you get here and get a better idea of what you are going to like. Alaska is very different than the deep south.

Also, you only need to capitalize the first letter in each sentence.

Default suitable boat for AK

I am partial t Almar or similar, but would take into consideration the load you wish to carry, and the percentage of river vs. sea time you are planning on and go from there. I am looking for a older, shorter Almar Jetline with the 7' bottom to retro with a light v-8 and a 212, and will be hawking my tidy 21' Almar Jetstream to do so. Need boat anyone?

Default Well depends

My guess the first step would be to figure out how huch money you are going to spend, that would be the limiting factor. I now have a 22 foot Bayliner Explorer and for what and where I go it's perfect. But since boats are not like pantyhose where one size fits all, LOL, there is only one boat that will do MOST every thing. Float River, Small Lakes yet go out in the Salt Water and still be safe in many sea conditions, that would be a inflatable. I had a 18' inflatable with a 25 Honda which would go 80 miles on 6 gallons, floated the Kenai and few few others yet could go to Big Lake with the kids for trout. Had it 55 miles out of Whittier and once in 16' seas in my 30 years of going out. But like all boats get one thing give up another. If there was a perfect Alaskan boat you'd never know it from seeing all the different ones up here.

You can capitalize as may words as you wish, this isn't school!

As others mentioned, there is no all around boat, and the question is what type of use are you looking at most? Something you probably won't be able to answer until you've been up here for a year. I would say as the boating season is wrapping up as you get up here, you probably will want to wait until next year. Having a nice new or used boat sitting under snow all winter could temp you to take it out before you should. Even if you don't want to run Prince William Sound, I highly recomend getting the Lethcoe's guide to PWS, IMHO an essential guide to boating in South Central AK.

Assuming you're looking at a saltwater boat, I'd highly recomend a cabin cruiser or some sort of boat with a fully enclosed pilothouse. Even on those rare perfectly clear days, the water temp drives the air temps down and add windchill and you're downright cold, and those are the nice days.

So, what do you think you want to use a boat for, solely fishing, hunting, camping, exploring, etc? My thoughts are a 22-28 foot aluminum hardtop with an 8-10' zodiac on top is about as good as it gets for use on the salt. Make sure the fuel tanks are large enough to allow a 200 mi r/t w/ reserve and you'll be well suited. More often than not you'll be running 50 miles out to get into decent fishing, so having the range and speed make a huge difference in what you can do.

thanks for the grammer lesson rick. i type in all caps, and for some reason this program caps all the first letters of each word, but i'm sure you already know that.

we also have rivers, sounds and oceans in the south. and for the most part a 22-24 ft center console will get you in most everywhere.
    i will be waiting to purchase a boat after winter. i am only going to buy one boat. i need something that will go in the rivers, sounds,and ocean.
    my research has been very interesting. the boats are very different from what i am use to. most boats in the south are fiberglass center consoles, bayboats, or walkaround models.

i do alot of fishing on the flats for redfish and trout, then out to the reefs and oilrigs for red snapper and grouper. i was fishing the flats out of my 19ft carolina skiff, and the oilrigs and reefs in my wa angler 22ft.

this will be a new learning experience. my thoughts for a new boat were 22-24 ft. a pilothouse really had not even crossed my mind. is anyone running outboards, or is it mostly jets?
    and is aluminum, or fiberglass the way to go? i want something that is going to durable and last in that environment.

thanks to everyone for the information. this will be a whole new experience for me.

I'd say if you really want an all around boat, don't get sucked into a Kenai River legal boat, ie 50 hp because it won't be such a great boat for use in the salt water.

If you ever plan on going to shore w/o launching a dinghy, you want aluminum. If you'll use it in the rivers, you will hit gravel bars, and hence you want aluminum.

There was recently a thread about all around boats, and there is lots of good info about the various jet boats that work well in salt and rivers.

As far as o/b's, most of the aluminum salt water boats run o/b's, the river boats are both i/b's and o/b's.

Sorry about knocking you on your typing - it's hard to read though.

Anyways, Think about whether you really want one boat for both rivers and salt. You will have a boat that isn't all that great in either. Our rivers tend to be fast and shallow and flat hulls with jet drives will allow you to go a lot of places. But that's exactly what you don't want when headed 50 miles out of port in 3' seas in PWS. Props are much more efficient than jets and a nice V in the hull cuts through waves better.

From what you've said, I'd lean towards a good saltwater boat. You really do want something that will protect you from the weather too. 70 degrees is a blistering hot day out in the sound or Cook inlet and those don't come around all that often.

I like the north river boats and the hewescraft. how durable are these boats? how would one of these handle running in aand around the ocean?
    anyone ever owned one?

Hewescrafts are probably one of if the not the most popular average alaskan ocean boat, they use outboards- northrivers are jet boats, good for legal rivers ( you wont be able to go on the kenai but you wouldnt be able to go on it with a 22+ foot searunner anyway. They are both great boats but its your decision of what you want to do and what will serve your pourpse the best, try googling the boat sites.