Thread: 44 mag ammo for a lever-gun???

Default 44 mag ammo for a lever-gun???

What would you guys recommand for factory fodder for a Marlin 1894 44 mag w. a 20" barrel. The use would be black bear over bait. I have not shot the gun enough to know if it will shoot the heavier bullets well. But I shot a few groups with 240gr. JHP's and one with 300gr federal HC's. the 240 did group much better. Will I have problems with loading long bullets in this gun? Will it shoot Cast or Jacketed bullets better? I know it has a slow twist of 1:38.
    Is the 250gr part. tough enough for lever-gun velocity? Maybe the 280 bonded sp Corbons? Or just stick with hard casts even if they have to be of a slightly lower weight (250-265)? I'm guessing from some of the handgun post's that the 300gr XTP is way to fragile, so what are my other options? Any help/ideas much appreciated.

Thanks, Jake

Default long nose bullets

in the 1894 Marlin can make problems in feeding, like the Cast Performance WLNGC bullets in 320 gr. weight. I like to use the 305 grain bullets in the 1894 as it usually penetrates through and gives you a good sized exit wound, so the Cor-Bon 305 grain loads should work well.

I handload the 270 gr Speer and it works wonderfully. I know that someone loads it but don't remember who. I use Lilgun and it comes out of the rifle at about 1700 fps or so. Very accurate round. Jim

Haven't shot a blackbear with them, but I've whapped a couple of deer with a Marlin shooting plain old Federal 240 grain HP factory loads. Shots were broadside through the lungs at 50-75 yards. Didn't recover either bullet, but wound channels convinced me that I'd be better off with a little tougher bullet for closer ranges.

Translate that as you want to blackbear and whether or not you'd take a shot other than broadside lungs, or closer for that matter. Putting myself in your shoes, I'd be as comfortable with a good jacketed softpoint as a hardcast, but I'm going to restrict myself to broadside lung shots no matter what I stuff up the chute.

Quote Originally Posted by mauserboy View Post
    in the 1894 Marlin can make problems in feeding, like the Cast Performance WLNGC bullets in 320 gr. weight. I like to use the 305 grain bullets in the 1894 as it usually penetrates through and gives you a good sized exit wound, so the Cor-Bon 305 grain loads should work well.
    Yup. The Cor-Bon 305-grain bullets would make a black bear look silly! That's if your Marlin will shoot them or not.

I load 305 grain SSK hardcast slugs and a full load of H-110. They run at 1220 fps from my old 6.5 inch M-29 and almost 1700 fps from a Rossi 92
    levergun.
    I have to load them shorter for the lever gun so they will cycle...
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Default WTH!!!

I've ordered a set of skinner ghost ring sights for my 1894. but I wanted to go have some fun at the range, so I went out with some 240gr jhp's from american eagle. The problem was I could not get the factory sight anywhere close to verticaly adjusted. I am shooting way high. Like 12 inches @ 25 yrds. and that is with the rear ramp in the lowest position. am I doing somthin' wrong here??? Is it just those bullets? what will shoot lower a faster or a slower bullet inside say 50 yds? I know its no big deal as long as my ghost ring sights don't have the same problem but what is out of wack here?

Thank,
    Jake

You're not doing anything wrong. You just need a higher front sight to go with the new rear one. Not expensive and not hard to change.