Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which ATV to buy

Default Which ATV to buy

I was originally looking at the artic cats and I ended up riding a Yamaha 450 this past weekend and was very empressed. I'm not looking for nothing real expensive and nothing really big. Right now I'm leaning towards a 450 yamaha unless talked different otherwise.

I have a 99 big bear 350. I have beat the **** out of that machine, and it still runs strong. Nothing against arctic cats, but it is hard to beat a yamaha.
    Last edited by AKmud; 08-27-2007 at 20:12.

If you like the Yamaha 450, then go see if you can test ride the King Quad 450. I have nothing but praise about this four-wheeler.

Can't beat the Yamaha 450, even a KQ.
    Now just why in the hell do I have to press "1" for English???

My girlfriend and I both invested in new wheelers this year. I got the '07 big bear, and she got the grizzly (kodiak) 450. Both have proven to be perfect for us. I have put 400 miles on my bear this spring/summer. It sucks to admit, but I rolled my bear twice, and sunk (and I mean over the handle bars sunk) my bear within the first 75 miles. The racks required some beating with a mallet, but that is it. Actually I changed the oil/diff oils after having it submerged. I prefer my bear over the grizz. The bear is super simple, but there have been zero issues with either. Actually the issue i have had, is with the a couple inch circle of the camo paint peeling, but I didnt care. I have had several king quads, and sold my '95 king quad to help with this purchase. I always loved the kq's, but it seems that yamaha improved everything I didnt like about the kq. and left everything i did like alone. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by tonyinak View Post
    It sucks to admit, but I rolled my bear twice, and sunk (and I mean over the handle bars sunk) my bear within the first 75 miles.
    Don't your BB float? My 660 does.
    How many rolls did you do. I've rolled mine 5 or 6 times. The best one was this last spring in Boulder. I dived off backwards and got out of the way while it did 3 bouncing endos and 5 side to side rolls before landing in the ravine below. Only bent the racks and handlebars and my neck Yamahas are tuff.

Default Honda

Anything Honda, ever notice its tough to find someone selling a used Honda ATV? Been driving one since 1994 and the new Ranchers and Rubicons are sure a nice ride. My2cents

Default had a sportsman...

then i sold it and bought an argo...i will never buy another 4 wheeler again
    ...Jackie Bushman is a TOOL

Quote Originally Posted by jtm9 View Post
    Anything Honda, ever notice its tough to find someone selling a used Honda ATV? Been driving one since 1994 and the new Ranchers and Rubicons are sure a nice ride. My2cents
    There sure are a lot of them for sale on craigslist right now
    Hondas are over priced, they only have 3 wheel drive, they're underpowered, have drum brakes and they don't offer enough of them with IRS. They last a long time though. I had 3 of them. I'm not saying this guy should buy a yamaha over a honda, the honda might be the best machine for his needs and he should buy one. But they are what they are and they aren't what I would want or recommend anymore.

I have an 02 big bear 400........have not had any problems at all....It now has 2500 miles and still runs strong....I have added a few mods, tree stand rack and a gun boot....other than that it runs great.but i would suggest shopping around and find what is comfortable to you.

always trust in a honda. they are dependable, and they may not have the giant four wheelers like the other companies, but they understand the power to weight distribution. and oh yeah they dont have belts that will screw up the first time you get them wet.

Get a Honda if you like to drag frame.

Default I love my Kawasaki Prairie 650

This is a great machine, Lot's of power, balanced ride, rear wet brake enclosed, engine brake also, will tow 1250#'s, great for work or hunting, just had an all day Knik ride, used about 3 gallons all day, 50 miles , just my two cents.

Default arctic cat

You probably can't go wrong with any of the major brands, so a lot of it comes down to personal preference. I asked much the same question on here last winter/spring before I bought a new AC 400. Everything I've heard about AC in general from people who have owned them has been positive. My previous ATV was an AC as well.
    I wanted something relatively inexpensive, manual transmission, air cooled, shaft-driven. The AC 400 fit the bill. I obviously haven't put it through a moose season yet, and I still do most of my hunting on foot, but I have put some miles on this spring and summer. I have no complaints whatsoever. The one thing people said about this particular machine was that it doesn't have a low range reverse. It hasn't been an issue for me yet. While I was caribou hunting I reversed through mud and uphill without any problems. The guy I was with was on a Polaris 500, and anything he could do, I could do. I actually think I had an easier time going up some of the hills than he did.
    If the Yamaha suits you, go for it. You'll probably be happy with it. On the other hand, you might like the AC, too.

Seeing how it's hard to get to drive different makes and models for a whole day, very few first time buyers realize the huge difference between a day riding a straight axle machine vs a day riding one with independant rear suspension.
    Buy a machine with IRS, reguardless of make IMO.

Default Hard Hunting Machine

How about this, I am also looking. I need something that will be used pretty hard (not abused), taken on long trips, pulling a trailer and dependable. Hunting will be its only use. Any suggestions would be great.

As walk-in said, you can't go wrong with any of the major brands. Just get one with the features you want and start riding!

Al

Buy a Argo and be done with it. I have 2 four wheelers but will use the argo instead. Just my 2 cents.

Default Yamaha!

Im a Honda fan but got to give it Yamaha the really got their crap together. As for Artic cat ive seen 4 blown motors in artic cats in the last 3 years of riding with friends. Also they are slow. And IMO JUNK! A couple friends have brute forces and love them i cant say anything bad about them. They have plenty of power. Hondas are reliable but there are better wheelers out there. I also own a Polaris and it rides nice but it is one heavy mother. I stay away from the deep stuff on it! Cant say i know anybody that rides a suzuki know nothing about them. just my 2 cents. Hillbilly

Thumbs up Can Am 400

I still ride my 88 Honda Foreman but I have heard really good things about the Can Am 400.
    Alaska

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast