Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gun for Wife

Default Gun for Wife

I want to get my wife a rifle she can handle. Is the 7mm Magnum good enough for moose. Ive seen a few different grain bullets mentioned with 175 gr being the highest.
    Anyone know the range of bullet grains it can handle?

30.06 was my first. I can also add that its really easy to find bullets almost anywhere in the state if needed.

Default MAN!

I thought you wanted to trade one of your guns for a wife... :P (I'd gladly give you my wife) :P

Default 7 mm mag

I have a rem 7mm mag and use 175 grain bullets and it works great for moose, caribou, sheep, black bears. I have not hunted grizzly but would feel comfortable using it for that also.

Default gun for the wife

My wife uses a Remington 700 in 300 WSM, just had to shorten the stock

My wife is 4'11" and weighs 98 lbs. She shoots a Remington 7400 in 30-06. She has saved my bacon twice with it against Grizzlies. She shoots nothing but factory ammo with 180gr bullets. I see that she has plenty of ammo to practice with. The automatic reduces the recoil in cycling the action, and makes it very comfortable for her to shoot. But the first thing I did was have it cut down to her size, a 12 inch length of pull. I also gave her a ten round magazine.

If you're going with a magnum, I would borrow a rifle from a friend and have her shoot it first. Many women aren't going to be comfortable shooting something with that much kick, my wife included. We bought my wife a 7mm-08, which has very little recoil. She'll shoot a moose with it in October if given the chance, but I'll be there to back her up. Perhaps a 308 or 30-06 would be good options as well, as both are more than enough for moose and have less recoil.

My wife shoots a browning medallion in a .270 with the B.O.S.S and has dropped anything in a sigle shot on any animal she's ever pulled the trigger on.

My wife shoots a win mod 70 300 WSM. She loves that rifle.

My wife...who is 5'6" shoots a 300 RUM. She is a BAD***

Have her shoot what will kill the animal PLUS what she can safely AND comfortably handle. For some that is a .270 or 300 WSM, for others it is bigger.

My best suggestion is to let her SHOOT what you want her to hunt with...if she likes it, she'll tell you!

Everyone shoots, feels recoil and reacts differently to the weapon they are shooting. Trial and error are your friends here in this question. Have her shoot a few, and go with what she shoots BEST. A 280 REM is better than a 416 Rigby if they can shoot is accurately, and put it in the vitals.

Just my humble opinion and for what it is worth!

Default Let her choose

I went gun shopping with my wife a few years ago at a sporting goods store that has a large stock of used guns sitting out where she could handle them. Perhaps a mistake but it didn't take her long to figure out that a Weatherby Ultralight in .280 Rem @ 5-1/2 lbs was a very comfortable fit for her due to the weight. She doesn't mind the factory stock length so it hasn't been shortened as of yet. (good thing as she let's me "borrow" it now and then )

I handload pretty much everything we shoot so I have a very wide selection of bullets to use. For deer sized critters that rifle can keep a 5 shot group of 140 gr. Nosler Accubonds under 3/4" and for the larger stuff it does nearly as well with 175 gr. Partitions. For her practice shooting I load reduced loads that she can easily handle and switching to full power hunting loads that approach 7mm mag performance isn't an issue for her.

Incidentally I also have a 7mm-08 Winchester Featherlight that isn't a feather compared to her .280 and is not nearly as comfortable for either of us to shoot even though it's not as powerful. The combination of recoil pad and stock style on the Weatherby make it a sweet shooter, so much so that I had to get one of my own in .338-06 which I will be putting to use for the second time on my moose hunt in two weeks.

If you want o stick with the 7MM class for your wife, a better choice for her would be a .280 Remington or a 7MM-08. Both are more than capable for moose, and the recoil is MUCH less than a 7MM Mag. You really need to know her recoil tolerance before getting her a gun like a 7MM Mag that has stiff recoil. If she can't handle the recoil of the 7MM, that is the sure-fire way to make her hate to shoot.
    My wife is 5'2" and 115 pounds. She handles my .280's very well and enjoys shooting it. She shot a buddies 7MM Mag once, and swore to never shoot it again.
    Now just why in the hell do I have to press "1" for English???

MNTS_R_MY_PLYGRND

Default Wives weights???

If only our wives knew we were posting their weights on the great world wide web there would be a lot of dead man walking.

Default make it better for her

No matter what mag you buy for her, spend the money and have the gun sent off and have it magna ported or a break put on the end. It will greatly reduce the recoil. It will make it louder but it more than worth it. It will also allow you to send more rounds down range while practacing. I prefer the magna port as it doesnt add anything to length.

My daughter who is 14 shoots a Weatherby Vanguard compact in 7mm-08. Gun comes with 2 stocks a full size and a shorter version that is perferct for ladies. 20" barrel toped with a Leupold 2x7 makes a lightweight but powerful little package. With the right bonded core bullet it would be fine for moose.

Default Should be

I'm not the expert, I'm doing my first moose hunt in a week but I've been following the forum very closely and from everything that the members have been posting on the subject I would say that would be plenty. If memory serves me correctly you can get 175 grain for the 7mm. and that will do the job per the members of the forum. Try looking up the archives on the subject, I'm sure that you will find plenty. Like anything else, shot placement is the key. Are you talking about your wife using it or your daughter? Get some material and make sure that they understand the anotomy. I'm sure that some of the more experienced alaskan members will chime in on the subject and provide the answers that you are looking for.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Graybeard View Post
    My wife is 4'11" and weighs 98 lbs. She shoots a Remington 7400 in 30-06......But the first thing I did was have it cut down to her size, a 12 inch length of pull........
    I think 30-06 is an excellent choice for a lady.

My wife inherited her mom's pre-64 Winchester Model 70 in .243. The rifle was purchased new in 1958, when my wife was only a year old (we celebrated her 50th birthday yesterday). Her mom used it hunting mule deer in the Rockies back then. Like you did, my father-in-law had the stock cut back to fit my mother-in-law.

While it is a wonderful lady's rifle (not to mention being a family heirloom), 243 just isn't the ideal Alaskan caliber. It works very well on caribou and smaller game, but I don't think it's responsible to use on moose or bear.

The other day I took my 27 year old daughter to the range (5'8" and about 150 lbs). She was shooting Mom's rifle with perfect glee. This daughter is an avid shooter, and she's used that rifle before. I had brought my 300 WinMag to check the zero before a hunt. She wanted to shoot it, and fired a single round. It was obviously way too much for her.

I suspect a 30-06 would be ideal for this daughter.

All good choices, and easier on your wife's shoulder. The .338 Federal should work very well on moose, and should not kick much more than a .308. It uses the same .308 case, topped with a .338-caliber bullet. If you don't reload, ammo for it can be found at Sportsman Warehouse and such.

.30-06
    .270 or .280
    .338 Federal

Another vote for the 30-06 Tracy has no problem with the 30-06 but ain't all that fond of a 300 win mag. I just got her a 45-70 that is about the limit for her as far as kick goes.

Talking

My Wife shoots a Mod 70 in 30-06. Cold as ice when she shoots. That scares me

Ron

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast