Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Delta Clear Water For Silvers

Default Delta Clear Water For Silvers

When is a good time and what spinning gear do you guys' recomend. I will be taking my 8 and 10 year olds. Any advice on spots to fish would also be good.

September and October; Vibrax, pixees or wiggle warts; 10-20 lb line; anywhere you see a school of fish.

Near the end of Sept through mid-Oct or later. Don't waste your time flogging waters over there with hardware.

The best thing I've ever used on the Delta Clearwater silvers is a purple tinsle streamer fly with gold or silver bodies with bead-chain eyes, tied on a 6/0 hook.
    Turquoise in the same pattern works okay too, and gold or silver in the same pattern for darker days.

No other color seems to work very well if at all and the same pattern/colors don't seem to work on silvers anywhere else.
    Now what ?

Quote Originally Posted by stevelyn View Post
    Don't waste your time flogging waters over there with hardware.
    I caught and released 99 in 8 hours (was going for 100, but the "rule" was 8 hours) on a wiggle wart--about 250 for 3 of us that day, using different colors. on other days, we used Pixees and Vibrax and also did very well. Purple egg sucking leeches did well on fly rods, also.

best thing to do is get away from the boat launch. as for choice gear, anything fuschia!!!! even took some finger nail polish to a pixie to prove a point and it was outfished the standard pixies of any colors hands down.

DCW is also as good as it gets for wogging waters if you're into fly fishing!!! It's pretty dam neat to see them chase and take a wog like a bass would a hula popper.

Default EGG

Every year I have been there I have used my own hand tied purple egg sucking leach on a 4/5 weight flyrod. You can use them on a spinning rig just make sure you have enough weight to get to the bottom and have about a 12 inch lead on it and youll do just fine....Good luck

Default Fish

I went down to Delta over the weekend. I saw one silver in the river. I think the fishing should be better in another few weeks.

wombat, did you sit at the boat launch? If so, you are missing out on miles of river...meaning the fish are there before you can see them at the boat launch, so a few fish there, usually means there is more in the river.

Also, that area by the boat launch holds some fish, but not like other areas of the river, UP river OR downriver.

I'm thinking of fishing it saturday. Got to go back to work sunday, then back to regular 'weekends" of tuesday and wensday. I don't own a boat, but I do own rafts...

ESLs + Silvers = Silvers caught
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default There In

Wife and I went to DCW on Monday and only landed two but my buddy went down about two hours before us and limited in about 30 minutes. He was using a vibrax. I was using a purple ESL but also tied a ESL with a chartrouse tail which is what I caught mine on. Hooked about 6 but its a good challenge with the 4/5 weight fly rod. My wife caught hers on a pink spin n glo. There in but very few. Good schools of 4 or 5 here and there in the deeper holes. Give it a week or two and they should be in heavy. We havent been there in about three years due to the Iraq deployment and didnt realize that some guy had posted the area where everyone had used to walk through so you have to walk all the way around the river bank below the restaurant to get to the sweet spot in one of the bends where everyone used to fish unless you take a boat.

instead of tresspassing, you can go up to the bar and ask permission to walk that area. They are great people and usually let you on. IF YOU ASK! They got tired of the slobs, trash, littering on the property etc and hence posted it. Not calling you a slob or anything else, just stating the facts. We also used to fish this area a LONG time ago now. That upper portion is definatly better after the first week of sept on.

Default DCW

Sorry for my ignorance but, Where is the Delta Clear Water?

Delta Jct, east off of Jack Warren road will take you to the camp ground. It dumps into the tanana.

I was thinking of floating it for the first time here in the next couple of weeks and catching some grayling and silvers.

But I'm trying to figure out how to do the float with only one vehicle...Are there any known ways to get or buy a ride back to the campground? (besides hitch-hiking...my legs are no good for that!)

(sorry for the thread hijack)

I typically float to the lake, bike back up to the campground and drive back to my boat. I can if I want roll my inflatable kayak up and put it on the back of my bike and go that route. SO far I have no issues though I do carry my gear and rod with me just in case in a backpack.

I'm hoping to go on wensday now that my canoe project got put on hold due to bad glass, ugg.

Heres my clearwater report

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PsabBcEoAQ

I caught them at the lodge with hardware and up-river with purple egg suckin leeches. Lots of fish up-river of the campground and no-one around? Jedi mind trick worked and I willed mortals away.

Fish ON!

TSS
    Last edited by JediMasterSalmonSlayer; 10-02-2007 at 01:20. Reason: increase shared data for apprentice program
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

So TradBow, I'm guessing you swing by the lake and drop your bike off before putting in at the campground?
    Is the ride far?
    Is your gear left behind at the lake a worry, or is the area fairly punk/idiot free?

Yes,
    No,
    No, well maybe.

number 3, I carry all my fishing tackle and rod back to the truck with me on a backpack.

Ride takes 30 minutes maybe. WIsh I had a better schedule, I'd go along we could take two rigs.

I might go tomorrow, my canoe project is on hold now. We'll see. Have a lot left to do before winter and no one to fish with makes it easy to back out and do the things that need to be done instead of what I want to do.

Depressing though, winter is almost here, hunting season was a horrible bust and my fishing season is over.

Jedi........

You must be a sight on the water...dunno good or bad, but one helluva site! lmao

And becareful upstream of the camp ground, that land IS POSTED! You must ask to walk on it. Though you can walk in the water below the high water mark to be legal, asking would be a wise option imho.

Quote Originally Posted by TradBow View Post
    Jedi........

You must be a sight on the water...dunno good or bad, but one helluva site! lmao

And becareful upstream of the camp ground, that land IS POSTED! You must ask to walk on it. Though you can walk in the water below the high water mark to be legal, asking would be a wise option imho.

You can wade the river all the way around the posted property and then some. (You can also use Jedi mind tricks on land owners to pass safely)
    Hope you liked the picture show. Going to go up again soon. Fish ON!

TSS
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast