Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Phantom & XS 200 optimax- blown motor!

Default Phantom & XS 200 optimax- blown motor!

I own a XS with one of these motors. A friend of mine blew his up a couple of weeks ago with 54 hours on it. Seems it put a rod threw the block. Since that has happen a couple other guys say they know someone that the same thing has happened too.

The boat shop & compoues don't have much to say about it except that a few boats have blown up with low hours.

Anyone else know anything?

I don't own one of those engines and I'm by no means an expert. However I can tell you that detonation will break rods if they are the weak point. So if you want to decrease your chance of breaking a rod and putting a nice window in your block, run a higher octane gas. There is almost zero chance of the manufacturer acknowledging a defect like weak rods, because that might involve a recall which would seriously eat into their profits. It's far cheaper for them to deal with it in a case by case basis. Don't ask me how I know

Doesnt Mercury warranty the motors for three years?
    Tennessee

I believe the jet models are warranted for only one year. Don't take this as gospel, though.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by aksalcha View Post
    I own a XS with one of these motors. A friend of mine blew his up a couple of weeks ago with 54 hours on it. Seems it put a rod threw the block. Since that has happen a couple other guys say they know someone that the same thing has happened too.

The boat shop & compoues don't have much to say about it except that a few boats have blown up with low hours.

Anyone else know anything?
    Compeaus and Phantom sell so many sportjets they may get it warrantied for your friend. We had a pair of them in a twin boat do the same thing a few years ago and managed to get them warrantied through Marita Sea and Ski in Anchorage. Then one of the replacement motors did the same thing again and they refused to warranty it saying the new/replacement motor came with NO warranty. We've heard there were problems with fuel lift pumps on the earlier models which somehow threw off the ecm fuel ratio causing some of these problems and that Mercury is now putting a new / different lift pump on them. To be safe, we purchased and installed all new lift pumps on our 200's. This is our third season on the twin boats and now we've begun to experience reed failure, we've located an aftermarket higher performance reed set from a fellow in Texas named Jay Smith (281) 576-5088 made from some high tech plastics instead of metal like the stock ones, we're switching over because even though we've been lucky so far in catching it before we've caused major damage from the metal getting to the motor internals, we don't want to experience any catastrophic type damages in the future. The performance reviews we've found all recommend these particular aftermarket reeds. We've actually experienced this same failure in the first season of our 250 optimaxes as well, we're switching them over too. (Did I mention how well we like the older 240's!)

Apparently the boat shop sent a guy up to put a motor in my buds boat. It is a 2007 XS.

I just wondering if I should be doing something different or be looking forward to a problem boat. Which is a bummer as these boats are a bit spendy.

So far mine has been great. Hauls a load and goes very shallow.

When I was looking at buying a new boat I looked at the xs(I do not like the room that an inboard takes up). On of the salesman was talking and said if the motors made it past a certain number of hours they were go to go. I do not remember the exact number but beside not liking the room that a inboard takes up this is the main reason I did not buy one.

Quote Originally Posted by yukonPike View Post
    When I was looking at buying a new boat I looked at the xs(I do not like the room that an inboard takes up). On of the salesman was talking and said if the motors made it past a certain number of hours they were go to go. I do not remember the exact number but beside not liking the room that a inboard takes up this is the main reason I did not buy one.
    Thats been the case with ours, except for the reeds... I feel very lucky to have discovered them without trashing the motors.

I would have thought Mercury would have fixed their reed valve problem by now. I remember my getting stuck on the Chatanika 3 times because the Mercury 500 that my dad had on the boat kept sucking reed valves. That happened to 3 straight motors and that was 30 years ago.

[quote=yukonPike;138491]On of the salesman was talking and said if the motors made it past a certain number of hours they were go to go.

Boy, that statement really instills confidence!

Especially a few days before some sportjet owners are headed out to the middle of nowhere moose hunting.

Question

How hard is it to check the reed valves? What does one look for as to whether they are defective?

-A concerned Sportjet owner-

I heard about the bad batch of lifter pumps last year. This is the first I've heard of reed problems.

I have 200 hours on mine now, no problems. But I don't run her as hard as you guys are chriso. How many hours do you have on the motors that are experiencing reed failures?

I put an aftermarket lifter pump in mine at about 150 hours. Mainly because of all the failures the new boats were having that spring. But my motor was 2-3 years older. I'm keeping the origional one for a known good spare.

Quote Originally Posted by breausaw View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by yukonPike View Post
    On of the salesman was talking and said if the motors made it past a certain number of hours they were go to go.
    Boy, that statement really instills confidence!
    The number of hours they are talking about is less than 5. If you take the number of these engines out on the water and compare it to the number of failures you will find that they are not all that undependable.

Default Same Problem on 175 HP

We had the same problem with a 175 HP the model. It looked like a rod came out the side of the block. The motor was just beyond the one year warrenty but because the hours were so low the dealer got it replaced under warranty for us.

I've heard most failures occur with in the first 30 minutes of operation. That said, over the last three seasons, I've installed @ 60 200 Sport Jets. I've not had one failure of any kind. We did replace several lift pumps before they left our shop (as a precaution).

My buds boat had 50 hours when it put a hole in the side of the block. Heard of another at 80 hours.

Mine has mid 60's. I carry a spare fuel pump and belt, cause Don at the boat shop recommended it. Haven't had to use yet.

The boat is kick A--. Just wish the power heads had a better rep.

Default aksalcha & chriso

May not be relevant, but what oil were these failed motors using? The oil system on these 200 Opti's is quite unique and I don't trust any other brand yet. Did you notice a knock or any other symptom before the motor came apart?

Quote Originally Posted by mod elan View Post
    May not be relevant, but what oil were these failed motors using? The oil system on these 200 Opti's is quite unique and I don't trust any other brand yet. Did you notice a knock or any other symptom before the motor came apart?
    And also what RPM range did they run in most the time?

My buddy who's boat blew up runs normally between 42oo and 4700 rpms. He said it was running perfect and did not notice any knocking. He was cruising at 4600 when it let loose with no warning. He has been a top notch auto mechanic for 25 years so I have no reason to disbelieve him. The boat is noisy and is outfitted with headsets so he may not have heard any prewarning knocks.

We both run Merc Optimax oil.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast