Thread: Surface Drives again (i apologize)

Default Surface Drives again (i apologize)

I have read through some of the older posts on the use of the surface drives to get back into remote spots and am very interested to say the least. Just wondering if people using them could post some pro's and con's that they have experienced. I am really thinking about getting a new boat and putting a surface drive on rather then a jet. Will one of these setups suit my moose, sheep and backcountry hunting and wandering needs? What are the real drawbacks to owning one of these over a jet? Will I be able to get reasonably close to the same spots I might get with a Sportjohn? Any boat suggestions that would really maximize the motors performance

Thanks in advance for any input

Default surface drives

Quote Originally Posted by Chillkoot View Post
    I have read through some of the older posts on the use of the surface drives to get back into remote spots and am very interested to say the least. Just wondering if people using them could post some pro's and con's that they have experienced. I am really thinking about getting a new boat and putting a surface drive on rather then a jet. Will one of these setups suit my moose, sheep and backcountry hunting and wandering needs? What are the real drawbacks to owning one of these over a jet? Will I be able to get reasonably close to the same spots I might get with a Sportjohn? Any boat suggestions that would really maximize the motors performance

Thanks in advance for any input
    I run a 35 hp GoDevil surface drive and love it. I hunt moose, ducks and do a lot of fishing. I see 2 big advantages; fuel economy and the ability to go slow in the shallows. The biggest disadvantage is you're limited to about 25 mph (plus or minus depending on load and current). If you want to carry a load don't go with a boat smaller than 18' X 48". If you are in the Fairbanks area do not buy until you have taken a demo ride from the dealers and exhausted all your questions. Reeds sells Mudbuddy, Stu Varner sells GoDevil and the Boat shop sells ProDrive. I hope you don't buy. I'm getting used to being the only boat in my fishing hole and hunting spot.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by dieselfitter View Post
    I run a 35 hp GoDevil surface drive and love it. I hunt moose, ducks and do a lot of fishing. I see 2 big advantages; fuel economy and the ability to go slow in the shallows. The biggest disadvantage is you're limited to about 25 mph (plus or minus depending on load and current). If you want to carry a load don't go with a boat smaller than 18' X 48". If you are in the Fairbanks area do not buy until you have taken a demo ride from the dealers and exhausted all your questions. Reeds sells Mudbuddy, Stu Varner sells GoDevil and the Boat shop sells ProDrive. I hope you don't buy. I'm getting used to being the only boat in my fishing hole and hunting spot.
    Chilkoot, I have to agree with dieselfitter, I hope you don't buy one. Believe me, they are just the worst things to have. I wouldn't own one of those darn Go-Devil Surface Drives. Oh, wait a minute, I DO own one! But they aren't very good at all because they don't burn much fuel and they don't require a lot of water to run in and if (a BIG if) they need any work done on them, why, you can do it yourself! Is that clear as mud?

(psst....best shallow river motor I've driven! Don't tell anyone!)

I have a Mudbuddy 23hp on the mini frame. I have it on an old rivited 1448 jon boat. This is the first summer I've had it and first mudmotor I've been around. So far I really like it. I have 32 hours on it so far.

I agree with everything dieselfitter and propgrinder said.

It won't run as shallow as an ob jet or a sportjon. I can run in about 6" with mine, and then I hit the rock guard once in a while.

I burn about 1.5 gph. With about 600lbs in the boat I average 15 up the Tanana and 22 down.

They are alot more physicaly demanding to drive than a steering wheel. I have never driving anything else with a tiller handle, so I don't know how they compare. But after 80 miles on a creek full of sharp corners I can sure feel it in the shoulder.

I know I have been driving it alot more than my XS this summer. But I've been going out alone and not hauling anything either. Plus I've going alot of places I could never fit my with my XS.

Cheers

Like my prodrive a lot (32HP on 1852)...been places a jet would clog but had to push my boat ONCE where a jet went through (Really shallow) for the most part a shallow water surface dirve will get you in and out of a lot of spots. I'll have to replace my rock guard one of these days...but i've shot 'em out the back a time or two

15-25 mph (GPS) depending on load

Thanks for all the replies and I guess I am going the right way. Whats everyone running for boats these days with the SD's?