Thread: Kodiak Deer Labor Day

Default Kodiak Deer Labor Day

I am going to be in Kodiak for Labor Day weekend and was hoping to spend at least two mornings deer hunting. I know, I know, road hunting might be a poor choice on Labor Day, but I would love to give it a try. Is anyone interested in taking me along?
    I can guarantee that I am an excellent shot and very fit.
    I would be willing to share meat and/or pay for gas.
    --

Default No takers?

OK OK, so I guess nobody is interested in taking me along. How about just a tip or two? I know the winter kill was bad this year, what else should I expect?
    Thanks,
    R

Winterkill was not universal, with some areas affected and others not on the road system. In broad terms, go climb high on the road system, but check the tidebooks. If low tides occur between about 2AM and 6AM, keep your eye out below you for deer climbing back to the high country after a low tide visit to lower elevations. On windy, stormy days concentrate on the brush fields, draws and forests on the downwind sides of the mountains. Carry binoculars and use them to spot deer on mountains adjacent to whichever you climb. Activities and elevation of deer over there will be the same as on your mountain, and you can use that to guide you to deer closer at hand. And finally, unless you are adept at stalking, carry a rifle capable of longish shots. You might come across something closer down in the grass and brush, but especially when hunting high in new country you're more likely to see them a bit further off.

Default Good stuff

Brown Bear-
    Thanks for the tips. Looks like the tides are not in my favor this weekend, but useful info nonetheless.
    I am a good shot, so I will be prepared for that.
    Anyone else been on the road system for a hunt this season?
    R

Default Deer

Haven't been there this year but there is a trail acros the road from the Coast Guard or Air Force (just south of the airport) that has had some decent deer in the past. You can hike up the ridgeline and glass in most directions. Plan to head HIGH if you expect to find bucks.

Good Luck

ps. You can find the trail from the road headed south from the city of Kodiak.