Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Whittier parking

Question Whittier parking

Can someone school me on parking truck and trailer in Whittier for a day outing. The only times I`ve been there I camped overnight in the back corner and felt raped by the charges for 3 days when only there for a night and a day. They said you had to pay for another day after noon....what gives?

Thanks.

You have to go across the street, just shy of the RV/camping area. it costs $10/day. Pull up to the shack and they'll have someone to take your money and then usually direct you were to park. What you have to watch out for is the trains. they time it so that you get stuck on the other side of the street when you are in a hurry to pull your boat out to make the next tunnel opening in 3 minutes.

Thanks...I did notice all the trucks/trailers just on the right before the campground but was under the impression that it was permit only or long term. I`ll hit it this weekend...thanks much.

Default Target and Change

Last weekend I pulled in late at the campground and didn't get a window ticket. I was woke up around 7 PM and asked to pay (one day), which I did with a smile. Then later after launching my boat, I was approached and told I would have to pay $15 if I was staying after 12 noon. The extra $5 was for my trailer hooked to my RV.

I went back to the blue shack, paid the $10, but refused to pay the $5 extortion money.

I stay there all the time and pay my $20 for the weekend as soon as I get there. Lesson learned I guess and not to make myself a target.

It is a shame as Whittier could become so much more than it is. In fact it could take a lot of business away from Seward if they would work at it. Unfortunately Whittier has 2 factions, one that don't want change (these folks didn't even want the tunnel) and those that do want change. I guess the ones in charge right now are those that don't want change and are actually trying to run us out and down to Seward.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

don't you just love dealing with the whitidiots argue.gif
    beatin.gif

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

I hear what you`re sayin. Came back to mine one weekend and it was chained up. I thought paying in advance was enough but didn`t know about the noon thing on the sunday. I ended up paying extra to have it unhooked. Kind of sad when you pay for the weekend in advance...needless to say I`ve been playing elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by AK2AZ View Post
    I hear what you`re sayin. Came back to mine one weekend and it was chained up. I thought paying in advance was enough but didn`t know about the noon thing on the sunday. I ended up paying extra to have it unhooked. Kind of sad when you pay for the weekend in advance...needless to say I`ve been playing elsewhere.
    Hacksaw ???? & take the barrel home with you

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by AKBassking View Post
    ......It is a shame as Whittier could become so much more than it is. In fact it could take a lot of business away from Seward if they would work at it. Unfortunately Whittier has 2 factions, one that don't want change (these folks didn't even want the tunnel) and those that do want change. I guess the ones in charge right now are those that don't want change and are actually trying to run us out and down to Seward.......
    That's the story of Alaska in whole.

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    don't you just love dealing with the whitidiots argue.gif
    beatin.gif

Gotta love it Potbuilder! Gotta love it!!!

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    MMSI# 338131469

I can respect Whittier for not wanting to be totally exploited. That's what makes Whittier what it is. That's what seperates it from Homer, Seward, and the Kenai, and probably why you go there.

And I can respect their fees...they have limited space. It cracks me up when guys who've spent a fortune on their boats, outboards, gear, fuel, tow vehicles, etc. bulk about parking fees.

Make it easier, cheaper, and wide-open and soon we'll all be looking for another "Whittier" because the resource has depleted.

My suggestion for Whittier would be to make a more direct path to parking...more underground tunnels or overpasses. Or at least provide a shuttle. Maybe limit the number of boats being "stored" in the parking lot during busy times. Whittier actually does a great job of cramming lots of vehicles into their small space. I've never had a problem finding a parking place or launching my boat. Is it easy and cheap? No. But once on the water, absent of hundreds of other fisherman, who cares.

Cool Launch and parking fees

How much does it cost to launch and park for a day in Whittier?

Lots of people complain about having to walk all the way to the parking lot, but is it really that bad? I know it seems like a long way, but I don't see how there could be any closer parking, plus if there was a shuttle it would likely cause an increase in the parking or launch fees. And when it comes down to it, that walk is probably the most exercise that lots of people will have that day (or week, or ....)

Fees

$20 Thru the Tunnel (if you have a boat)
    $10 one day parking
    $20 Launch Fee - One Launch and retrieve

So yer $50 down for a Day trip....better bring some friends

As some have put it previously the goat roap on the ramps every single time you go is almost worth paying for in itself. the best part of Whittier...leaving the harbor, the next best part...being in line at the tunnel TO bear valley

if more people respected thier fellow boaters and didnt block a launch lane, and pulling free of the launching areas (whether helping someone out or not) including the dock space when lauching, then the Whittier experience would be better. I'll still go, I'll still get mad at the ramps and I'll still feel better every time I kick it around the breakwater. lather rinse repeat

I complain about the fees, the ramp, and the distance to parking. They are all related. Whittier has far and away the highest fees, the worst ramp, and the longest walk to/from parking your truck.

I wouldn't mind the walk at all IF there was adequate space on the dock at the ramp to accomadate all the boats that sit there while their owners walk to/from the parking lot. It really sucks when you come into the harbor when the wind is really blowing, drive all the way to the end of the harbor to the east ramp only to find 3 boats in front of you that can not find space at the dock. It's difficult to keep a single screw boat in one spot in the wind for very long.

I wouldn't mind the high fees as much IF you were getting to use really nice facilities. I can not get through Whittier fast enough.

Again, cheaper fees and nicer facilities mean more people, more pressure, more boats using more resource. It may be a little zoo now, but those changes would make it a big zoo. I like the things that make Whittier...Whittier. If you can't handle the fees, or dislike the facilities that much, don't go.

Thumbs down No Change!

Quote Originally Posted by Grampyfishes View Post
    Again, cheaper fees and nicer facilities mean more people, more pressure, more boats using more resource. It may be a little zoo now, but those changes would make it a big zoo. I like the things that make Whittier...Whittier. If you can't handle the fees, or dislike the facilities that much, don't go.
    So you are one of the "I don't want change" at Whittier kind of guy? Did you want the tunnel?

Whittier could out do Seward 3 to 1 if they would up grade their facilities and make it more boater friendly. Just look at the "private" dock or at the Seward facilities for a modal.

I love Whittier, but it could offer much better services and the City could make so much more revenue if they would just wake up!

I agree with Northrick.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    MMSI# 338131469

Yes whittier is expensive as mentioned, and ther is a little distance from parking lot to the ramp, but I kinda like stretching my legs before and after a trip.

So far I've launced/retrieved a 1/2 dozen times from Whittier. I got a season launch pass, which breaks even at 6 times, every time after that I figure it's free. You can also get tunnel passes in book form and save a couple bucks.

I did manage to launch out of seward once this year, and yes $5 to launch and $5 to park is nice. Also nice to have the parking lot right there. That said when I factor in the extra gas I burn in my truck to get down there, it's pretty much a wash in $'s. I can see heading down to Seward a few times of year for better fishing close in to port, but I'd rather boat and explore PWS. It's a long boat ride in exposed waters to get into PWS from Seward.

Seldom have I had to wait for more than one boat to be launched or retrieved at Whittier. There is something to be said for hitting the early tunnel openings, and to not be in the end of the day last minute rush to retrieve. Also arriving at the tunnel early is good, if youre the first or second in line, you won't be waiting to launch.

I'd certainly like better facilities and more reasonable fees. I don't think that would make Whittier busier. When I factor in fuel, bait, food etc, it's $150-200 every time I take the boat out, saving $10-20 would be great, but it's not a deal breaker. That doesn't even factor in boat costs, insurance, tackle etc, etc. I think most folks are of that mindset that they are going to go because they want to boat out of Whittier.

The real key is to go out for 2-3 days. Your incremental costs aren't that much more than a day trip, and the time spent in the tunnel and launch/retrieving is a much smaller percentage of your trip.

Talking I agree

I'm just glad I haven't experienced any of the above mentioned problems. I don't mean to be a butt, but if the fuel prices, parking, launching and tunnel fees were too much for my pocket book.... I would find another hobby. Its not gonna get any cheaper!
    As far as the way the Whittier people feel about changes is exactly how I feel about the State of Alaska as a whole!
    The people in Whittier have reason to be the way they are. Wanna see some really RUDE SARCASTIC people... go to either of the Whittier launch ramps on a busy weekend. Its Not the "Whitidiots" as described by Potbuilder. Its the Anchorage people and their river boat mentality. I have been ran into, cut off so many times by river runners it isn't funny.
    Anyone in any type of boat has as much right to use the facilities, just as much as the next person. Just cause you pay a parking fee or launch fee doesn't mean you own it. Show some respect and you will be surprised how much you will get in return. Since we started going to Whittier we have bought one condo and we are considering another for investment.
    The people of Whittier only treat you the way you treat them. I have had my boat launched by 2 different residents of whittier because I drove a truck down with no ball .. oh yeah, did I mention one retrieved my boat for me and parked it in my spot in the parking lot so I could make the tunnel one hour earlier?? did i mention that?
    I don't think its the Whittier people that are the idiots!
    I am sure it isn't. How many of them are on this forum whinning about you??

To paraphrase Chris Berman, "You can't stop progress, you can only hope to contain it".

Whittier, like every place else in Alaska is changing - it has always been changing, and it always will be changing. Wanting to make it better intelligently is not a bad thing . . .

The fact that they have the highest fees in the state for the poorest facilities grates on everyone who uses them. No one goes there to visit Whittier, they go through there to access PWS. Most of us tolerate the high fees because the sound is so special. It's almost as if Whittier is adopting the "sourdough Alaska" attitude of "If ya don't like the price, piss off - go get it somewhere else". And people are . . . . to the detriment of Whittier.

I can say the problem has never been the people in Whittier - they've always been great. It's the facilities that need work.

And yes, I have offered to help come up with solutions. I corresponded with the City Manager, who highlighted the efforts they are making to upgrade the facilities. If or when they call, I'll be happy to pitch in and help where I can.

SH

My complaints aren't directed at the people of Whittier either. This topic has already been discussed in great detail here already. My issue as stated previously is the facilities. I go there for the same reasons everyone else does. PWS is awesome. Did I say that quietly enough? The lines at the dock, the launch deterioration, lack of docking space, the traffic jam at the dock created by the walk to parking facilities, the absence of decent fish cleaning tables etc. Oh and yes the idiots from out of town that don't use the PREP area to get ready so when they are on the ramp its quick and easy. Those are my complaints and they will remain so. That doesn't mean that I don't like going there. I just don't like paying so much for so little and imo you can't blame anyone for that.

Now as discussed in a previous thread on this forum I can't wait to see 3 new ramps and 2 docks. I sure hope that it all goes as planned. Do I expect the fees to go down? Not hardly but it would easy the congestion and my compaint with the high fees that I will continue to pay.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast