Thread: Kodiak Cabins

Default Kodiak Cabins

The last I heard, rental of private cabins on Kodiak for hunting was outlawed. Has anybody heard if this has changed yet for this fall?
    Mike

Default not any more

thats been recended for those cabins on kodiak that the deer hunters are using such as those in Deadmans bay

Thanks for the answer, as that should be good for everyone. Has this been publicized anywhere? If so, it would be great to have a link to erase any confusion. I also called the F&G bio in Kodiak and that's what he thought also, but even he wasn't 100% sure.
    Mike

Angry CABIN RENTAL (sorry boys)

Sorry boys the changes that prevent the rental of private cabins to big game hunters including deer have NOT been recinded.
    Rep Gabriel Le Douex of Kodik and her staff put extrodinary effort into HB 165 to rememidy the situation. The wording of the bill was carefully worked out with the participation of the Big Game Commercial Services Board and it was supported unanimously by all involved.
    The bill made it through several readings and committees without being changed. The last committee before the Govs desk was the Senate Resource committee chaired by the Honorable Senator from Wassilla Charlie Huggings.
    For some reason Mr Huggins chose to hold HB 165 in his committee until next session and there it sits for possible reconsideration next session. Call local inforcment for clarification and check the record of HB 165. Something STINKS and IMO Mr Huggins has done a terrible disservice to resident hunters and private property owners

Default Confused about the cabin issue.

Can someone explain to me how this law is even legal? Also how can it be enforced, and has anyone tried to challenge it in the courts. Seems like it wouldn't stand up.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Default Help with contact info!

This is BS I'm so tired of this good old boy Guide HS that goes on I could puke!

400000 lic. sold you think we could put together some kinda sportman group and put pressuire on the these law makers.

So here is 1 more stab --- Our Govenor tag was hunted for sheep?
    hunted where this year? Think of where you wish you could go if you wanted????????????? Ah the park WSE ding ding ding you loose you will never get to hunt it, but this rich AH did. The comon man never! I do not care how much money went to fund sheep habitat If they let one of these tag horders hunt there, there shoud be 1 poor man allowed also!!!!!!
    Oh ya the RP got 1 --- 180+ pushing 190.

Govenor Palen-Not impressed!
    Louie

As I recall, it has to do with the refuge. The cabins are privately owned, but they're on refuge land. They're defined as temporary residences used in support of commercial set netting, and the refuge doesn't want them to become commercial hunting cabins. As far as I know, the guides are with you on wishing they could be hired out as hunting cabins, rather than conspiring with anyone to keep private hunters from using them. They'd be first in line trying to rent them themselves.

Default Cabin Rental

Its a pretty convoluted story but if you look back to my previous posts begining last Nov. you will have a good understanding of what has happened.
    This is state wide but so far Kodiak enforcment is the only ones taking the hard line.
    Teddy Roosevelt said it best
    " I SHOULD MUCH REGRET TO SEE GROW UP IN THIS COUNTRY A SYSTEM OF LARGE PRIVATE GAME PRESERVES KEPT FOR THE ENJOYMENT OF THE VERY RICH. ONE OF THE CHEIF ATTRACTIONS OF LIFE IN THE WILDERNESS IS ITS RUGGED AND STALWART DEMOCARACY. THERE EVERY MAN STANDS FOR WHAT HE ACTUALLY IS AND CAN SHOW HIMSELF TO BE."

Read up on the issue and contact your legislator. A takings of private property rights has occurred and the Alaska resident non guided hunter is the big loser.

As Rick knows, our org (Alaska Backcountry Hunters and Anglers) got involved early on with this, and we sent comments off trying to get this pushed through the legislature. If I recall correctly, the comments I wrote up said this was a "no brainer." Man, was I naive <grin>! The bill Gabrielle LeDeaux and her staff put together in conjunction with the wishes of the Commercial Services Board seemed like just good common sense no bs simple as could be: Allow private property owners to rent their private property cabins located in the field to big game hunters. No rental of skiffs or atvs or any other equipment, just the cabin. What could be wrong with that?

Well I tell ya, what is wrong is the way individual chairs of certain committees in our legislature can hold back bills either cuz they don't like the sponsor, the sponsor is in a different party, or any number of other completely personal, selfish reasons.

Anyway, one hopes that this bill to allow Rick and others to rent out their private property cabins in the field to big game hunters will come up again next session. This particular deal frustrated me no end and I'm still pissed about it...and in particular how things don't get done in Juneau. I really had my eyes opened with this one, and found out what some legislators are really in Juneau for, and it isn't to represent all of us Alaskans. Rick, drop me a line sometime and we'll see if we can't try to get this passed again next year. Sorry it didn't pan out and hope you've had a good summer.
    Best,

Default Tier II deja vu?

Sounds like a mess.
    So we were going to rent a cheap cabin behind from somebody behind Port Lions (3 area). The only reason we haven't yet was because of what Rick posted on this forum months ago. So I posted the question and called F&G to try and find the answer. But it seems that the confusion is widespread. I would assume that Rick knows what's really going on since he is directly involved, but F&G gave me conflicting answers. And the only time I have heard of this law, or rather enforcement of it, is from this forum. If I wasn't a member here, I would have never heard of it and would have went forward and rented a cabin for deer hunting this fall without thinking twice.
    So ... what's really going on here. Are there any public notices telling hunters not to rent private cabins? If so, who can I contact to verify or who is going to enforce - Troopers? Or is this just an overlooked law that has always existed, needs to be changed but hasn't yet and won't be enforced?
    It sure would be nice to have a clearer interpretation because I'm sure there are others like me.
    And Rick, thanks for your efforts. Hope this works out for both you and the rest of us.
    Mike

Default Cabin Rentals

Does this mean the state can't rent me a cabin to hunt from or does it just affect private individuals.
    Thanks,
    Tom

Default State And Fed Cabins

Tom
    State and Fed cabins are still availablr to big game hunters. Pretty wierd huh. The only properties affected are places that are in the "field" meaning an area not "associated with a city town or village"