Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fairbanks Area Grouse Hunting

Default Fairbanks Area Grouse Hunting

I am looking to see how well the Fall Season is staring off for everyone and also trying to scout out some new areas. if anyone is interested in telling me some of their areas they can email instead of posting them on the board if they choose.

Yes I already know about the place across from skinny dicks, johnson road and ship creek in Delta area...... any luck in areas off Chena Hot Springs road or Murphy Dome etc....

Also if anyone is looking for a person to go hunting with I would be up for a hunting partner, right now it is me and my 8 year old black lab......

Default Been out a few times.

Before moose season opened up I was doing pretty good in some areas. Didn't have any luck at all out Murphy Dome. Once the moose hunters are done Ill try again. But its the moose hunters time so Ill let them have their time in the woods. Once moose season winds down Ill head back out, hopefully it will be a little cooler too. It been too warm so far.

Default spruce grouse

Saw alot of spruce grouse while hunting out along chena river and up the south fork, jumped 10 birds in 10 minutes.........to bad I had the 338 and not a 22 ;0)~ruffies seem to be a bit fewer this year but there still plenty around and the sprucies, seems to be plenty of them. rabbits seem to be on the upswing as well.....................

Default Two so far...

Shot two so far out at Eielson. They were very near eachother in the taller white spruce stuff with solid ground under them. Lots of Eielson is squishy wet tundra swamp stuff, but these guys were in the more foresty type area. I have seen them all over in the woods though, just get out and walk a little. Chances are you'll see some.

Co-worker shot 13 out of 13 singles he saw on Sunday...all where ruffies,luck-cuss! oh! and I saw one ruffie on Saturday and I actually missed it as I was walking towards it trying to get it to flush,but it took off into the woods,that was my only ruffie seen this year.Daniel

Default wainwright

Took three birds out of a seven bird covey with my bow across the Chena on Wainwright. Those are the only birds I have seen. Rabbits on the other hand are all over the place. They are ridiculous in some spots.

Default Creamers field

last year moose hunting we say tons of grouse and rabbits. the grouse looked like pheasants they were so huge. Never shot any but almost with bow. some huge rabbits also. were snowshoe hares but looked like jack rabbits, just massive. some local kid was down there trapping them. seen him everyday. there was an access point by some guys red connex trailer, his house. it is state land that his drive way passes through. it is legal to park to the left of his mail box. was a new road put in they called ash road. looked like a new subdivision would be popping up soon. but the trails cut off the road on either side. we always went left. couple of ponds back in there on the right. before the ponds was where we seen everything. just have to register with F&G. Might head up there in late Nov. for the moose hunt with bow. good luck.

Talking Great Day!

Got up this morning and headed out the Parks Highway side. Did not know what to expect with it being the last day of moose season . I managed to get 5, 2 Ruffed and 3 Spuce Grouse. I saw about 15 but you cant get them all! Great morning to be out.

Ron

Default best time of day

People who have been having luck with grouse, what time of day are you running into them?

Default tonight

Got my mutts out tonight. I was a little late, didn't get out of town till nearly 6:30 but never the less it was a beautiful evening and I saw at least a dozen ruffies. I only bagged two and I got the dirty looks from the dogs to prove it. But all in all it was a great night. I love this time of year. So to answer bengs question the best I have done is at dusk. Happy hunting.

Default anytime

Anytime seems to be good for me except when the weather's real crappy, if it's to early though or to close to dusk they could be roosting so I don't hunt those times.

I have been having my best luck later in the day around 5-6 I did pop two the other day when it was rainy and cool around 2-230. I wouldnt reccomend going on wainwright for a while as they are doing some training out there and I wound up driving right through the middle and they even had to move some razor wire so I could pass through, though noone did say I couldnt be there I did feel like I was in the wrong place. I am looking to do some ptarmigan hunting if someone could reccomend and area.
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "HOLY **** WHAT A RIDE!!!"

Default will give crappy weather a chance...

It is pretty crappy weather, but I am heading out for a little hunt. I hope the weather doesn't keep them away, but I just mounted a new scope on my 22 and so excited to go shoot it...

Default wet

I went out last night and saw 1 bird, 6 hunters, and about a billion gallons of water. It was wet as heck out there. It was fun slopping around on the 4 wheeler, but when it became more like swimming and less like hunting I decided to call it a night.

I went out last night around harding lake I seen one other hunter who seen 1 grouse but could connect and I shot 2 the only 2 I saw. I did see 2 rabbits that bolted before I could sneak close enough to get a shot off with my 12 ga. Im gonna try again early in the morning tomorrow nothing like taking the day off work to go hunting
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "HOLY **** WHAT A RIDE!!!"

Default wet and didn't see anything

I went out last night and sighted in my new scope first then hunted a little afterward. I went down a little road that goes off the Parks Hwy near the Parks overlook and broke off into the forest. I didn't see any grouse. I did see 2 rabbits that were cruising away and a bunch of squirrels.

Quote Originally Posted by TobinZeke View Post
    I am looking to see how well the Fall Season is staring off for everyone and also trying to scout out some new areas. if anyone is interested in telling me some of their areas they can email instead of posting them on the board if they choose.

Yes I already know about the place across from skinny dicks, johnson road and ship creek in Delta area...... any luck in areas off Chena Hot Springs road or Murphy Dome etc....

Also if anyone is looking for a person to go hunting with I would be up for a hunting partner, right now it is me and my 8 year old black lab......
    You can walk up any of several trails off Chena Hot Springs. Be prepared to see other people.

Brian

I hunted the Chatanika area off the Steese and the Elliot years ago and never came back without a limit. Lots of Ruffs, Sharptails and Sprucey's. Anyone hunt this area lately?
    MERRY CHRISTMAS

Default Grouse hunting around Chatanika

Been hunting the chatanikka area the past few weeks for grouse, been pretty good with between 5-8 grouse taken each time, mainly ruffed grouse, some spruce grouse, havent seen any sharptails. Anyone know of a good ptarmigan hunting area close to fairbanks/north pole area?

AKtrpr

I havent hunted thata rea myself in two years,but it always paid off.Besides Murphy Dome for Ptarmigan I hunt them up the Steese also and Eielson.But I mainly am looking for the Ruffies.Good luck to you this weekend.Daniel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast