Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Light Sheep Stove

Default Light Sheep Stove

Wondering what type of stove you guys prefer when it comes to sheep or goat country. Been looking at the MSR and Brunton stoves and think I've settled on the Brunton Optimus Crux. Any opinions or experiances? Also how much fuel would be suggested for a 7 day trip?

I've switched entirely to the Jetboil system for my sheep hunts. When weight isn't an option and I have heavier food, I bring along another stove, but now that I have the adapter for my jetboil enabling me to use other pots, I don't know if I'll ever use my other stove.

Anyhow, since all I need to heat is water on a sheep hunt, all I need is my jetboil.

Thanks for the info. Looks like a great system for only a little more, which would be worth it considering fuel usage. Assuming you'd only need the one canister for something like 7 days?

Default Stoves

Steve-

I've had exceptional success with my MSR pocket rocket - On my recent sheep hunt, I kept track of my fuel use. I was able to boil 16 pots of water each containing between 500 ml and 1 liter PLUS burn the stove for another 25 minutes while drying clothes out on one large canister of gas. That works out to 5+ days of fuel from one canister for me. Two canisters would give an adequate safety margin for a seven day hunt, in my opinion. I've not tried the JetBoil system, so I cannot compare.

-Tom
    Last edited by Tom L; 08-23-2007 at 22:09. Reason: add material

Default Jet boil

We just had a 4 day hunt for bear over in 16a had 3 jet boil cannisters and never ran out of cooking heat.

Default MSR

I've been carrying around an MSR XGK multi-fuel stove for a while now. But I'm hearing a lot about the JetBoil and others that use pressurized gas. Maybe I should check them out... perhaps there is a weight savings? Nice thing about the XGK stove is that I have liquid fuel if I need it to get a fire started down in the low country, but of course there are safety issues with that...

The XGK has never failed me in the field.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Cool msr

we have used the MSR whisperlite and been very happy with it. Pretty much only heating water (oatmeal and coffee/hot chocolate for breakfast and hot chocolate and water for freeze dried for supper) and used less than 1 liter of fuel for 2 people for 7 days. I would recommend taking a second liter of fuel to leave at base camp.
    It is definitely lightweight. I have never used the Jet boil so cannot compare with it.

Thumbs up Me Too

I too have had great luck with the MSR whisperlite. I have logged over 200 nights of backpacking, camping & hunting over the past 16 years with this stove and it is very reliable and fuel efficient. The only thing I've had to replace on it is the little hand pump that goes in the fuel container. I highly recommend this stove!

Default msr

I have both the whisperlite and XGK stoves. I just took the whisperlite sheep hunting for 5 days. We boiled water for 2 people 7 tiimes for meals (about 1 liter each time). By heft, it feels like I have 1/4 to 1/3 of a 22oz bottle of fuel left over, so let's say a minimum of 5 oz.
    The XGK is lighter than the whisperlite and is a multifuel stove. Really can't say why I took the other stove. Guess I just have more hours with it. I have not set them side by side yet to compare burn rates. Probably never will.
    I would not mind trying out a cannister type stove, but my stove work well, and there are other items at the top of my wish list.

Default Pocket Rocket

I use the MSR pocket rocket. weighs 4 ounces, and 1 can or MSR IsoPro fuel weighs a total of 12 ounces, .... so for exactely 1 pound I have my stove and fuel for 1 week. I only boil water one time in the morning(oatmeal and hot gatoraid or coffee) and one time in the evening (freeze dried dinner and coffee or hot gatoraide) just my experience so far. $45 stove and $5 fuel for 7 days at 1lb!!!!.... hard to beat.

Default Jet Boil Vs. Whisper Light

I've had used both the jet boil and whisper light backpacking. I was given the whisper light as a Christmas present 5 years ago and took it backpacking many times. It worked fine after you pumped up the fuel bottle enough and heated the water. However it is a little tippy and it gets your hands black when your done. The last time out it I couldn't keep it lit for the life of my mainly due to the fact that the fuel container was less than 1/3 full. So did as Mike S. said and used the white gas to light a small alder fire and lit it that way.

Since then I've bought a jet boil system and must admit that lighting it is much simplier and cleaner than the Whisper Light setup. It is also more stable to cook on. No complaints as of yet. Of course as it has been mentioned before on remote fly-in hunts transporting the fuel could be an issue.

Default Whisperlite International

Whisperlite International gets my vote.

Quote Originally Posted by AKbowhunter View Post
    I use the MSR pocket rocket. weighs 4 ounces, and 1 can or MSR IsoPro fuel weighs a total of 12 ounces, .... so for exactely 1 pound I have my stove and fuel for 1 week. I only boil water one time in the morning(oatmeal and hot gatoraid or coffee) and one time in the evening (freeze dried dinner and coffee or hot gatoraide) just my experience so far. $45 stove and $5 fuel for 7 days at 1lb!!!!.... hard to beat.

I went from the whisperlite to a Coleman miniature which is almost identical to this set up and have been very happy.

Talking Vote

Another vote for Jet Boil.
    Last edited by Daveinthebush; 08-24-2007 at 09:00. Reason: Fingers and keys not matching

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Thumbs up Another Vote....

for the Whisper Light...works good for me.

Default Whisperlite

However, I believe you need to have it figured out to use most efficiently.

I find that I can stay out for 20+ days on two 33 oz MSR fuel containers with 1/2 of one left.

You will burn 3 X fuel if you don't know how.

Colemans are ok but with titanium snowmelt pot the MSR is pretty slick.

Default kelty kettle

My vote goes to the "kelty kettle" bought mine thru Lee Valley I learned about it on the Yukon Quest trail. It works anywhere I have ever been as long as you are using dry food and only need to boil water.

Default Indirect Question

Has anyone used their Jet Boil stove with canisters made by someone other than Jet Boil? I'm heading to Kodiak for a goat hunt. Mack's has canisters that fit a Jet Boil, but they're made by MSR and Coleman. I've only used my stove with Jet Boil canisters and was wondering if the performance is any different with these other brands. I'm also taking a MSR Whisperlite along as a backup, but will only be packing one up the mountain.

I've used my Jetboil with MSR canisters and didn't notice any difference. I'd be real surprised if they aren't buying the fuel from the same source, or at least with very similar formulations.

Default stoves

I have not used the Crux, but these small stoves are not very stable, and not good with bigger pots. Also, the piezo igniters eventually fail or get broke. They are samml though and light. To determine the fule needs, get the time to boil on the amount of water you will need at each meal, and compare to to total burn time of the cannister. Allow some slop for cold, wind, elevation conditions. Cannisters come in several sizes. Ex a 30 minute burn time with 5 minutes to boil, will allow for six boils, which is pushing it for 3 days with 2 hot meals per day.

I used a Zip stove on the last three hunts, burns twigs. Went out of Kotz in SPET, Lake Clark area in SEPT, Chugach in SEPT. Two fly ins, one walk in. Ate well.

Goes in very light and has no shortage of fuel to contend with...great for boiling water. Just as fast to light and boil as most of the fuel stove I have used.

I bought a Jet Boil, it boils water really fast. Might take that on a Cub fly in next month out of TOK.

I saw the new MSR Reactor stove boil water really, really fast. 1 liter in 3 minutes. Faster thatn the Jet Boil. It was a protoype the sales rep had, not sure they are on the shelve yet.

As it gets colder, one needs to insulate the fuel cansiter from the snow, ground, Some even run a colid copper wire throught the flame and around the cannister., Do not try that at home..

..and I have had the old Bleut cartridges freeze soilid, unless you kept them in your sleeping bag at night..

If you light the stove with the pot on the stove, use a lid, turn it off immediatly, shield the stove from the wind, you can maximize fuel use. Dry lunches save fuel.

I do have about 20 stoves, the fuel ones tend to be fussy and slower to get into action, but do work well in all kinds of weather. Svea 123, Primus. Optimus, 8R, Ranger, MSR various flavors, Sigg multifuel. Beer can alcohol stoves. Can't quit buying the things.

Still want a 625, they are a real blow torch. Heavy by todays standards.

I want to get one of the kelty kettles mentioned earlier, and the key in ultrlight stoves on google to see some really light stuff.

YMMV thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast