Thread: Land Ownership maps

Default Land Ownership maps

Can anyone tell me where I can find maps that identify land ownership? I've been told there is some private land around an area I'm researching, but I really haven't figured out how to determine it.

Most maps show Fed land, but I haven't seen much for what's state, private, native corp, etc.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    AK_BigO

Default Land Ownership

BigO,

You might check with the Bureau of Land Management public lands information office in Anchorage. They are not the end-all, be-all for this, but they will get you well on your way. They have large-format maps that show the GMU boundaries, sub-units, and guide use area boundaries. In addition, they are color-coded for various land manager groups- native lands, federal lands, state lands, and others.

Armed with this information, you can drill down deeper to determine exact boundaries and such. But I would start with the BLM office in Anchorage.

Regards,

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

You can also check this out yourself. Go to http://plats.landrecords.info/index.html to research the land records yourself. If you need help navigating or understanding the site, send me a PM, I'll be glad to help.

Default Good Info!

Thanks! Good info from both of you. Hopefully the Fbks BLM office has the same maps as Anchorage.

Dave,
    Seeing as you had all the native corp sights readily available, might you be able to help me interpret this color coding system on the Doyon maps?

From the best I can tell, the light blue shaded squares are the subsurface owned (mineral rights?). And the small gray blocks are surface and subsurface owned (actual land ownership?).

If that's the case, then the light blue would be open to access, just not to mining, etc?

Again, thanks for the info. I wish that the private land would be posted....would make it a little easier to be a good law abiding citizen!!

AK_BigO
    Attached Images Attached Images

AK,
    Does the legend for the state whether light blue shading (if you are reading correctly as Doyon subsurface) might include a Village Corporation or other Private Interest surface estate? If so, you would still need to inquire from that private landowner if they would issue a permit for you to access/hunt their land or not. If the legend states it is fed or state surface and Doyon subsurface, then it might not be an issue unless there is some type of restrictive CSU applied to the surface estate.

The best way to find the answers is to look at the current Master Title Plat or State Status Plat to see what the status of ownership is. The link I provided above can help with that. It can also help you locate the easements, if any, to get to public lands adjoining the private lands.

EDIT: After looking at Doyon's website, I'm not so sure that the blue refers to subsurface estate only. I would call Doyon's office and ask whether it is full fee estate or subsurface for your area of interest.
    Last edited by DPhillips; 08-24-2007 at 14:12. Reason: Unsure of content

Default Mining claims?

DPhillips,

Thanks for the site. That site took me to another site (landrecord.info), which I'm slowly figuring out. Plat map thing is a little confusing....

When I pull up the map, I find a lot of areas blocked off (plats, I'm assuming). When I look those up, they're coming up as mining claims. I've run into several miners/claims while out exploring AK. I'm not 100% up on the whole mining claim thing, but from what I get from those I've encountered that a mining claim is treated as private property. But, from reading Federal rules on mining, the public may cross claims on Federal land to get to Federal land on the other side. Haven't read up on the state laws on that yet, but I'd just assume avoid any confrontation, so I'd just know where they're at and avoid them.

As for the Doyon map, the key is on the first page with one set of colors. Then the close-up has different colors.....got me. I will definitely e-mail them to find out.

Thanks for your help locating the info. Although every time I find out one thing, it just leads me to another.

AK_BigO

Shoot me a PM, and a location you want researched, I do this for a living, and am willing to help any way I can.

AK Big O,
    You have a PM.

Default Good BLM map

Found this good general map of land ownership (BLM, parks,state, native, etc). Thought I'd post the link for others to reference. It at least gives a good place to start.

http://www.blm.gov/style/medialib/bl...85X11opti3.pdf

Thanks for all the help I've been getting on this!

AK_BigO

Just remember that as far as native corporation lands ago...native "selected" lands does not give the corporation any right to prevent your access, they are still "owned" and managed by the government entity (BLM, NPS, etc.) that had them before they were selected. Once they are conveyed, then they have fee ownership of the surface. I believe on that last map you posted they are then reflected as "IC or patented."

doesn't private land need to be posted in this state?
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by AK_BigO View Post
    DPhillips,

When I pull up the map, I find a lot of areas blocked off (plats, I'm assuming). When I look those up, they're coming up as mining claims. I've run into several miners/claims while out exploring AK. I'm not 100% up on the whole mining claim thing, but from what I get from those I've encountered that a mining claim is treated as private property. But, from reading Federal rules on mining, the public may cross claims on Federal land to get to Federal land on the other side. Haven't read up on the state laws on that yet, but I'd just assume avoid any confrontation, so I'd just know where they're at and avoid them.

AK_BigO
    You don't have to treat a mining claim like private property. They only own the right to mine the minerals and have their personal property on that claim respected and NOT touched. You can't LOOK for minerals on their claim, you can cross it anywhere, you can hunt on it. They don't own the surface, it's yours too.