Thread: Lift or raised transom

Default Lift or raised transom

To go along with the thread on shaft length I am curious about opinions on raised transom, motor that tllts easily and rockhopper over a lift. Some people such as Bushrat seemed to prefer raised transom, others like Sid have lift and like it. I have 17' Osage and the bottom of keel is18" from top of transom which is about where the horizontal fin is on short shaft. It seems the motor could be raised only a few inches more before it will cavitate but this few inches would have you running in 6" of water. Have heard the lift just adds wieght, puts weight further back nd makes being in back a necessity. Opions? Haven't made decision and I'm ignorant.

Thumbs up Case for a lift.

When the motor is raised on a lift or a raised transom, the center of gravity is also raised, making my 19' seem somewhat less stable, although the difference is not extreme. There are conditions when I prefer running the motor w/ the lift lowered...seems more stable and the motor seems more efficient. On the rivers I travel there are long stretches where the water is deep and my Rockhopper can absorb any unseen underwater obstacle. Likewise, the Dolefin works best with the motor fixed low, and actually tends to raise the rear of the canoe. Don't think I'm being very clear, so I'll finish by saying that the 3 components of the system I use with my outboard...Dolefin, Rockhopper and lift...offer me a maximum degree of adjustment options for different conditions and traveling speeds.
    Last edited by Rick; 08-23-2007 at 21:49. Reason: spelling

Default lift or raised transom

Thanks Rick.I headed to Mcgrath for 10days (work not hunt- ug) so may not get to respond for a while thanks forthe input.

Default Lift

on big water a lift is not as inportant as on small streans, small streams you are always going from shallow water to deep water, it might not be as inportant on the big streams, like when I cross lake louise I don't use the lift at all but as soon as I hit the river [Tyone] it is worth it weight in gold as you can walk across the river in most spot's an in a lot of it you will not get water over the tops of your feet in some years, like wise in the little Willow, the big Willow,& the Little Sue.
    there was a time when I was in Maine I used a wooden Riszer it worked just great in a lot of rivers back there [did not know any better] found the lift in stalled one never be with out one from now on it just makes it a lot faster going up an down small rivers [Brooks] an yes it adds weight but it is worth it I think
    As for the fin it would work great on large water but not sure on small streams get in the way caught on the rocks an logs where I go
    Sid

Default a lift gets my vote

Bodak,
    I also own a 17' Osage. I run a 15hp short shaft on a lift built by a fellow forum member. I also have a Rockhopper and Dolfins installed. The three work very well together. I agree with the other post, the lift gives you more flexability. Also, with a raised transom in white caps on a lake your prop will not get as much of a bite. I recently went to Tangle lakes and the lift performed great. The prop was deeper in the lake, with the lift down. But when I was in the river between the lakes I needed the lift to raise the motor in some spots. Also, there have been times when I needed to raise the motor almost completely out of the water to avoid gravel damaging my prop. That is harder to do quickly with a raised transom. Rockhoppers work well, but they certianly are not the cure-all for keeping gravel out of your prop when running some rivers.

Default raized transom

you said it well the rock hopper helps but.
    when you use the lift motor out of the water, the water pump is dry an if you do it a long time the pump on an OMC will melt as I have accomlished it on tyone creek a few years back, as the pump housing is plastic the liner is steel , just a tidbit of information for new people
    SID

Question Water pump and prop....

the folks running the Yukon800 use 50hp 2-stroke Yamahas that are modified ....a lowered intake for the water to the water pump...and a special prop called a"chop prop" that is designed to be efficient running only half way in the water, without cavitating.

If there is someone knowledgeable about these modifications, please speak up....all of the square stern guys could benefit from this information. Thanks.

Default Lift

I am sold on the Hydo-Shield, protects my prop and lower unit not as well as the rock guard but improves boat performance and keeps the bow down. I used it with a transom lift for 10 plus years with minimal prop damage.
    Before I used it 1 or 2 props a year.