Thread: ruger 375 alaskan

Default ruger 375 alaskan

I just put money down on a new ruger 375 alaskan hawkeye. The 20inch barrel and hogue stock sold me instantly. I have other rugers too and just like em a lot. anybody shooting one of these? hornady 300grn solids look knarly.

No ...but you'll soon have your hands on what I'm thinking of getting. Post your results here!

Thanks,
    Brian

I got one. Had it for about a month now. Put a Leupold V3 2.5-8x36 on top. Already have dies and brass. The plan is to work up a stiff load with a 270-grain TSX bullet and go hammer a spring brown bear in 16B.

Default muzzle jump?

Just wondering if the 20 inch barrel gives a muzzle jump that would be hard to control? When I handload my 450 marlin with 18"barrel with hot loads the barrel jump makes it hard to stay accurate. kind of makes kick off at a 45 degree angle up an to the left side.

So far we have not experience the muzzle jump you are worried about. My hunting partner got one about two months ago. We have not shot the 300 factory load yet, but have fired a 300 grain Nosler handload at 2400fps. Shot just fine.

To be honest, I'd probably opt for the African and get the 23" barrel ...other than a fairly slight increase in muzzle velocity, is there any real-life evidence of greater accuracy with the longer barrel as well?

Brian

Default Almost pulled the trigger today...

...on an Alaskan. Might put it off another couple of weeks while I mull it over. Looking in the safe last night and now I can't decide what I want to use this spring: .338 WM, .450 Marlin, or adopt another mouth to feed in the form of the .375 Ruger.

Any input pro/con would be useful. I'm giving myself two weeks from now (I'll be out of town and unable to handload, etc) to decide. I figure if I get started now-ish I'll have about 6 months to work up a load and get in adequate range time (never seems to be enough time).

Oh, while I'm at it: anyone have any experience w/Kodiak Bullet performance (.338 / .458 / .375)? Might sound corny, but I'd like to whack an AK brown bear w/an Alaskan made bullet...(or two, three, whatever it takes...)

375 ruger is the best thing Ruger has done in a long time and I really like their Hawkeye rifle.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Default So I lied...

...I couldn't wait two weeks - guess the impulse to buy a new gun was just too great. Actually, what sealed the deal for me was that I found one via Bass Pro that still sports the Black Diamond Coat finish. Since I'm heading out of town on Thu, they are overnighting it to me (at no additional cost over their standard shipping) - should be getting fingerprints and slobber on it tomorrow (:

Unfortunately my penance will be that I most likely won't be able to shoot the thing until I get back...

Wink trigger

One thing I did though is compare the trigger between the two rifles my dealer had in stock. The two triggers were very different . one was stiff and broke right away and the other softer and required a slight sqeeze but was way smoother. sposed to be a better trigger though. I put a timney on my ruger 300winmag last year and it made a hell of difference over the factory trigger. my groups tightened up by a good inch.

Default Yeah..

...normally I'd much prefer to be able to play with it a bit before buying. I'm not a big fan of Ruger triggers, although I have heard good things about the LC6. Guess I'll see..

I was sort of the same way and was lucky to have three Alaskan's to choose from. I picked the one that had the smoothest action (which is very nice) and has a good trigger as well. Still trying to figure out if I like the stainless look over the all-black finish.