Thread: S&W Model 629 Backpacker

Question S&W Model 629 Backpacker

I just bought a .44 mag Backpacker with 2 1/2" barrel and am having a very hard time finding holsters. Preferably I would like a Tactical Thigh holster that doesn't interfere with my backpack and still have a quick draw. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Default 629

I have a 629 Trail Boss, with a 3" barrel. I ran into the same problem. I just ended up using an Uncle Mikes holster for a 4" barrel. You might try some of the chest holsters. There is a guy in Anchorage who custom makes holsters. I forgot the name, but I'm sure someone else on here will know who that is.

Try visiting S&W web site. They sell a ton of holsters there and for reasonable prices.
    If that doesnt work there is a guy downtown at the Saturday Market who makes a high quality holster for any revolver or auto, right or left hand.
    Tennessee

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by wyo44 View Post
    I just bought a .44 mag Backpacker with 2 1/2" barrel and am having a very hard time finding holsters. Preferably I would like a Tactical Thigh holster that doesn't interfere with my backpack and still have a quick draw. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
    Try this one: http://www.alaskasportsmanproducts.com/
    It can be worn several ways and does not interfere with your pack. I even shoot my bow without any problems. It is the most functional and comfortable holster I have worn. Mountain view sports and Boondocks usually stock it if you want to try it on.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

I have a 629 backpacker, It's a real fun gun. I love it.

I bought the uncle mikes #2 holster for easy carry but I found that I can not hook that holster to my big backpack belt so I just ordered a new chest holster (Universal belt chestcarry with accessory pouch) from Westwoods Landing (www.wwlholsters.com). They told me "Your S&W 629 with the Hi-Viz sights will fit fine in our holsters. However since you have the 2.5" barrel the holster that you need is the UBHR 3". Apparently that size is not listed on their web site but they do have it. I just ordered it yesterday but I will be able to report on it soon.

There is a reasonable woman who makes fully custom holsters. She works out of Northwest Pony Express in Hayden Idaho. Prices vary from $45 to $65+ depending on size, materials, etc. She will custom build whatever you need. If it is to fit a S&W framed revolver like the 629 with a short barrel, she can use one of the handguns in the shop as a mold.

I suggest giving a call to the shop for more information. I've seen her work and it looks GOOOD! The products I have seen are all leather, and you would have to inquire if you prefer something synthetic. Good luck!

Northwest Pony Express
    402 W Canfield Ave # 1
    Coeur d'Alene, ID 83815-7784
    (208) 762-0740

here are a few suggestions:

www.barberleatherworks.com
    www.simplyrugged.com/

DIAMOND D CUSTOM LEATHER
    3800 East Wickersham Way
    Wasilla, AK 99654
    Sales@DiamondDCustomLeather.com
    907-631-4212 Leather Shop

good luck!
    happy trails.
    jh

You guys really think that the OP has not found a solution since this was first posted in 2007? He made one post, this one, and has never logged in since that one day in 2007.

Wink yes we do appreciate ...

thank you for continuing these posts...
    new to this forum / page.... but am appreciative to the regular posters who keep it alive, for all to use.
    I stumbled upon this page while looking for pouches, but what caught my eye was backpacking holsters, a some what taboo subject in the lower 50.
    my Taurus ULTI 44 is confidence inspiring but not discrete if adequately carried.
    any suggestions beyond bashing taurus...

Quote Originally Posted by AK Ray View Post
    You guys really think that the OP has not found a solution since this was first posted in 2007? He made one post, this one, and has never logged in since that one day in 2007.

mrgadget - aside from the "normal" wrinkle your nose at any gun idiots I don't know what you mean by "taboo subject" at least in Oregon, a most liberally moronic state (west side anyway) If ya want to carry a non-concealed handgun while backpacking then just do it - Here in the McKenzie unit/Springfield/Eugene "area" there are more mountain lion - human encounters than virtually anywhere else so I'm not goin anywhere in the woods "unhealed" myself

Quote Originally Posted by mrgadget View Post
    thank you for continuing these posts...
    new to this forum / page.... but am appreciative to the regular posters who keep it alive, for all to use.
    I stumbled upon this page while looking for pouches, but what caught my eye was backpacking holsters, a some what taboo subject in the lower 50.
    my Taurus ULTI 44 is confidence inspiring but not discrete if adequately carried.
    any suggestions beyond bashing taurus...
    A lot of people up here go for chest carry for backpacking for the lack of interference with the pack. Good options from Simply Rugged and the Guides Choice from Diamond D Leather. Also the Alaskan Sportman Holster which is more like a nylon handbag that goes on your chest.
    I have a Hill People Gear chest pack that I use for fishing and some packing. These are great as the gun is completely concealed and you have the ability to also carry a few bits of fishing gear all in one bag. But the downside is that the draw is not as quick as it could be.
    I have now gone back to using a thigh rig for hiking. Some don't like them as they find they rub, but they work for me. They enable a far quicker draw, but can looking a bit tacticool and scary to other hikers.
    My set-up for woods handgun is a SW 44 Mountain gun with a Blade-Tec Kydex holster. The balde techs are compatible with Blackhawk platforms. I have a Blackhawk Drop leg platform and a small molle chest rig. The holster and chest rig have have the Blackhawk Strike quick change platforms so I can move the holster from the drop leg to chest rig in seconds, depending on what I am doing. This is a great set-up for heading out on the ATV and then spot/stalking, hiking etc.

Did you look at the Ruger chest holster on their website? I've got one and it very comfortable and is made of tough nylon, like Blackhawk products and it cost around $50.