Thread: checking wind direction

Question checking wind direction

I thought that I might start up something a little different. With everyone going or getting ready to go, thought that it might be interesting to see how some of the members keep an eye on mother natures little breezes. What works the best for you? Lighters, just watching the grass and bushes, when it gets calmer do you use one of those fancy sprayers with powder you see on the hunting programs, if so what kind, a string, or do you pretend that your Arnold Palmer and though some grass from the alaskan fairway.

Default Hmmm

When I exhale my smoldering Camel I go the opposite way of the smoke. Sad but true

Default Wind direction

Tom,

Great idea for a thread.

Though my hunting methods are dictated by the terrain and vegetation, most of the time I'm glassing (as opposed to still hunting or other methods). In other words, I'm mostly hunting with my eyes. Once an animal is spotted, the primary considerations on making an approach are as follows:

1. Using terrain and vegetation to screen my approach so the animal doesn't see me coming.

2. Approaching with the wind in my favor.

3. Keeping my sound to a minimum.

4. Screening my face, hands, etc. from being seen (often with a headnet and glove liners).

As to managing scent / wind issues, I've noticed that unless there is a strong breeze or wind, little eddies and swirls can carry my aroma just about anywhere. In such cases, I do all I can to approach fast enough (while keeping quiet) that I stay ahead of the scent trail. Sure, I watch the grass, leaves, water, and my own breath if it's cold enough, but when the breeze is squirrely it's really hard to know where it goes.

On bear hunts, scent is extremely important. I avoid urinating on tall grass, brush and such, and go for areas low to the ground or even in a hole. The higher your scent is on the vegetation, the farther it will travel. In situations where I am packing meat off of a kill and so forth, I do the opposite, and try to get the scent spread around about four feet or so from the ground (use your imagination). This puts it right about the height of a bear on all fours.

Hopefully this is what you were asking for?

Regards,

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

To keep track of breezes I use a frayed piece of dental floss tied near the end of my barrel and dangling down about 3". I like it because it requires no movement to use, since it's always there.

Default wind direction

Interesting. In the past I have used what ever nature has provided - grass, leaves, personal sensations, etc. - I have tried a small plastic squeeze bottle with talc powder but this year plan to tie a very frayed 4" to 5" piece of yarn to the end of my barrel. I have wondered about this for some time and have finally raided my fishing tackle box and come back with the required piece of yarn. I am interested to see how it works.

Default floss

I have always used the floss on my gun. Does anyone actually use those squeeze bottles with powder? Why would you carry something extra like that.

Default One reason-

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    ...those squeeze bottles with powder? Why would you carry something extra like that.
    Because it looks cool on a hunting video, and it was manufactured by one of your sponsors? Just a guess...

LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default wood ash

I should start by saying I am not a hunter. But, while in Zimbabwe last week, I tagged along at the rear and simply observed, the professional hunter, Richard Harland and two rangers in the lead, who I was told is considered the foremost authority on hunting elephants in Zim, while at very close quarters to our prey, kept pulling a small cloth bag out of his pocket and giving it a small, quick shake, producing a faint cloud. I later asked him what that was all about and he explained that a simple piece of cotton cloth, tied at the top and filled with wood ash from our camp fire was an inexpensive and effective method for determining wind direction. Some of these elephants were within 75 feet of us, and I occasionally realized in fact surrounded us, so it was comforting being with someone of of his experience, and also 3 high powered rifles at the ready. Yes, the hunt did prove successful, also.

Default wood ash

wood ash - talc powder: same same - actions speak louder than words - did you video it?

Default photos

Sorry if this is slightly off-thread, but no, I did not video it. I did take quite a few still shots of the two day, 6-8 man butchering and meat preparation process. I was amazed at what 3,000 pounds of meat looks like! With people literally starving in Zimbabwe, the meat is all being distributed to the needy.