Thread: bedding a MK II Ruger

Default bedding a MK II Ruger

I have a new MKII Ruger in 30/06 with a laminate stock that I would like to glass bed but have heard because of the angle of the recoil lug they are hard to bed, has anyone done one of these?? Also ordered a Timney trigger as the factory one is the worst Ive ever seen. My rifle is left hand has anyone installed one. Dave

If you can bed a mauser or mod 70 you can bed the Ruger. Like always, use release agent. Can't help you on the trigger though. good luck. J.

So long as you don't goop tons of compound under the lug, there is no problem bedding the angled lug, which goes for traditional 90 degree lugs as well. It is dificult to inlet a stock for the angled lug, but bedding is no problem.

As for the trigger, the parts merely need a polishing with fine india stones and perhaps a lighter return spring. It is an excellent hunting trigger as designed, just poorly finished as produced.

Default Ruger triggers

Yukon254,

I have a rifle similiar to yours and like you said, the trigger sucks. I have never been able to get mine to shoot well, thus I have lost confidence in it. It was a Christmas present, so I don't want to sell it. I always thought it was the trigger, but after getting the trigger half-way decent, it still isn't a nail driver. I have tried lots of different ammo in it, as well. I have thought about adding a pressure point to the stock underneath the barrel as some others on this site have recommended. Someone told me that Ruger had quality control issues with their barrels in 99 when mine was made. I heard that it may be possible to send it back to Ruger for an update to their new Accu-trigger. I like the laminate stock, the beefy action and the stainless steel. I thought it would be the perfect SE Alaska rifle for the rain and saltwater. I'm going to mess around with it some more this fall and see if I can shoot better with it.

This website has great instructions for fixing the trigger. I did this to my M77 Mark II and it helped. http://www.centerfirecentral.com/77trigger.html I didn't mess with the overtravel, but the creep and weight issue improved.

Let us know how the bedding job goes.

Default trigger

Thanks guys I will work on the trigger and see if it helps. I bought 2 30/06s this year one Tikka lite for my wife and the Ruger for myself, the Tikka is a real shooter nice trigger ect. I have put around 600 rounds thru the ruger this summer and it will stay within 2.5 inches although the 200 grn accubonds dont shoot well at all best bullet yet has been the hornady 220 rn . But I wanted a tough gun for guideing and it will sure work for that.

Coaldust,

What caliber is your ruger, and have you tried handloading it? With my rugers, factory ammo accuracy has been mediocre, but with handloads they really shoot.

Default handloads

Paul do you have one in 30/06 if so what is your best load?? Dave

Default Ruger

Paul,

No, I have never tried any handloads in it. It's a 30.06. So far with this rifle and factory ammo, I have had the most consistency with the Federal Premium in 150GR. One of these days, I would like to do some loading.

Speaking of ammo, I tried some Winchester Ballistic Silvertip rounds in this Ruger and they wouldn't chamber properly. I put one in the chamber, but it would not come out. I felt a little more resistance than normal with the bolt. It didn't feel right, so I removed it to take a look. The bolt pulled the brass from the bullet and I had to push the bullet out. They worked great in my Savage.

Default Original Ruger 77 in '06

I got an original model 77, made in '73.
    The best load I have for 180 gr Hornady, either the SP or the boattails has been hands down Reloder 19 @59 grains. Another good one to try is 54gr of H414 with 180gr. bullets. The RL19 load shoots under MOA at 100 yds (avg of around .85) and the H414 load opens up a bit at 1-1.25". Don't have a chrony anymore so I don't have any velocity readings but looking in my old notes from a 22" Savage 110 the RL19 load would clock in around 2750fps. Neither load is at max and I haven't had any signs of excess pressure, sticky bolt, primer flattened, etc.