Thread: Pheasant shoot

Default Pheasant shoot

If anyone is interested the Arctic Bird Dog club is having pheasant shoot this weekend at Falcon Ridge, on Pt. Mckenzie Road. You buy the birds and the club members will plant them in the field for you to work your dog on. Good chance to get your dog on birds, meet other bird doggers, maybe get some advice. If you dont have a dog I believe there will be members with their dogs you could hunt over.

Default sounds like fun

If I were a bit closer and did not have a list long enough to choke a horse I would be there. We have done the same thing here in Fbks in the past. What a ball. The dogs really got amped, the folks all had good safe fun, and the birds were yummy!
    I am a bit jealous. Let us know how it goes. And we love pictures.

Got my reservation. Maybe I'll see you there.

I so wanna go..........

but my horse is a choking as well.Maybe next time some of us Fairbanks folks can get together and hook up for a run down south for the next hunt? Daniel

Default love to see Fairbanks folks...

at some of our events. We had a couple folks from Fairbanks come to the hunt test last weekend.
    Always like to promote bird dogs and the sport of upland game hunting. We should take any opportunity to support each other in our quest for those awesome, 4 legged hunting companions.
    What kind of training groups/clubs do you have arounnd your area?

sent you a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ak River Rat View Post
    If I were a bit closer and did not have a list long enough to choke a horse I would be there. We have done the same thing here in Fbks in the past. What a ball. The dogs really got amped, the folks all had good safe fun, and the birds were yummy!
    I am a bit jealous. Let us know how it goes. And we love pictures.
    AHA!!! Maybe you guys were the ones who let one escape!! Well, on second thought maybe not. The one I had IN MY YARD in downtown Fairbanks this spring was a hen. The wife and I also saw the hen (or a different one) a couple weeks ago at the corner of Wilbur and Airport. She walked across the road right in front of our car into the bank parking lot. I had my wife jump out to see if she could catche her! They did a "ring around the rosey" a couple times around the light pole/planter and then the hen just ran off.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Default chukars, pheasants, and pigeons

Some of the pigeons in fAI you can blame on us. We brought a lot in for training and some always managed to get away.
    there have been a few people raising pheasants and chukars and those 2 seem to find freedom. That is until a fox catches them. Years ago, Ken Ulz had Fairbanks Feed on Peger Road and always kept birds around. We would see them as far away as the railroad yard.
    Best I can tell in the regs, those are all domesticated type birds, therefore when they get loose they are feral, not wild. Feral animals are free game. Unlike wild animals that end up in Alaska (cougar) there is not a restriction on taking feral animals. I guess that might include things like hogs gone wild.

Pigeons.... ol' Bill Stroeker has a great story about pigeons. He feeds them at his house. One day I asked him if he knew how they got to Fairbanks. He got a sheepish guilty look on his face..... seems that years ago (40's maybe?) he nad his buds brought some to FAI and they "missed a few". He's felt responsible ever since so he's been feeding them all these years.

Hey, we need to get together for coffee or something and catch up.

Perry
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Default hey guys

just wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction to buy live birds like yall are talking about in the fairbanks area...any info would be greatly appreciated

Richie

Default not connected now

It has been a while since I trained for real, much less with live birds. There are several clubs around, Fbks Retriever Club is the oldest. I think they have a web site to get info from. Did you check Coldspot feeds and Alaska feed? If they don't have birds there may be info on the bulletin board.
    Pigeons are where you find them. Some folks would beg for you to take them, others are protective. Just be a little careful and creative when you go knock on doors.

Lightbulb

We've run across pheasants down in the Anchor Point area a couple times in recent years, so apparently someone in that area has been "missing" some.

Back in my high school days, I raised quail in Soldotna. I ordered the eggs via mail and had a nice incubator and pens that I built. It didn't take much to get a flock of several dozen birds. I ended up selling the entire operation.

I have noticed that buying fertile eggs is still easy to do and you have several flavors of quail as well as pheasants readily available. So if you are so inclined and have a lot of difficulty in finding ready-to-fly birds, you might consider raising them from the egg up.

Talk to some of these guys that are feeding the pigeons and see if you can set up a trap. Something like they use down south to catch quail. You can turn those feral "rock doves" into retriever trainers.

Happy hunting

Default Pheasants on Eielson....

Anyone else see the rooster and hen in the lot right next to the Eielson shoppette today? I couldn't believe it, I had to make a second lap around to take a couple pics and show the kids what a pheasnat is. They better stay near the populated part of base, I haven't eaten any pheasant since '96 in SD.......mmmm.