Thread: Remington Core Lokt

Default Remington Core Lokt

Looking for some experts, or at least someone more knowledgeable tham myself (shouldn't be hard). I am a relatively inexperienced hunter, and brand new to Alaska hunting. I am going on a moose hunt, and was told that 180 grain for my .30-06 would be sufficient. Along with my little experience comes little money. I am looking for a load that will do the job. I am a firm believer in getting what you pay for, but some of the ammo is a bit expensive. Will the Remington Core Lokt take care of business, or will I find myself tracking for miles? Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Default Corelockt...

will do the trick...I have a Savage .30-06, & am using 150grn core lockt...

Shot placement & familiarity is key, a good double lung shot with 180grn will suffice...

Default core lockt

I killed a big brown bear with one shot, and dropped in the spot shot, with a 30-06, 220 grain core lockt. Never tried the 180's but should it should do the trick for moose!

I have a 7mm Mag that I use for most of my hunting here. I wanted desperately to shoot 160 gr. premium bullets through it. (Mdl. 700) On all the ones I tried, Accu-bond, Swift A-Frame, Trophy Bonded, I could not get them to shoot accurately. I am no brain surgeon, but I learned my rifle did not like 160 grainers. I went back to the 175 Core-Lokt and they shoot very tight groups. Since this decision, I have harvested a moose, 2 caribou, and a Mtn. Goat. I also used a Mdl.700 in 300 Weatherby Mag. using 180 gr. Core-Lokt to harvest a 36'' moose and a 7' grizzly.
    You will have no problems w/ your selection.

Quote Originally Posted by Bear Buster View Post
    I killed a big brown bear with one shot, and dropped in the spot shot, with a 30-06, 220 grain core lockt. Never tried the 180's but should it should do the trick for moose!
    Personally, I don't shoot the core lokt stuff anymore because it's too frangible. You'd be better off with a Nosler or any of the Barnes or similar. You don't _have_ to use the premium bullets, but they'll kill just as effectively or more and won't waste as much meat. If you want to save money, then get the 220 gn Core Lokt... it'll work and it's better insurance, e.g. will penetrate shoulders better than the 180's or lighter.

Brian

Default Time Was...

When the Remington Core Lokt, along with the Winchester Silver Tip, and some of the Federal loads, WERE the premium bullets! Many animals have and will continue to fall to them.
    There is no magic in a bullet that you have to pay three times as much for. You just have to pay three times as much for something to poke a hole in a critter with.
    In 1979, I separated from the Air Force to find that the job that EG&G had promised me was no longer available. Couldn't go back in, and EG&G was only interested in hiring minority women, and VietNam era vets were at the bottom of their hiring lists.....anyhow, I ended up selling off all of my rifles, shotguns, and handguns to support a wife and four kids for a bit.
    That year, I ended up going into the hills with a borrowed '17 Enfield, a partial box of Winchester 180 Silvertips that came with the rifle, and rode in the bed of the cousin's pickup to get there because the cab was full. That begged, borrowed, and (almost) stolen gear got me the biggest four point Muley I've ever taken!
    Use the gear you've got, get out, and have a ball!

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    Today when folks go hunting they have to use special bullets with the lead cores glued into the special alloy jacket or bullets with sharp plastic tips and long streamlined bodies. Or maybe some monolithic solid of exotic alloy with special polymer tips that glow in the dark.

Failing to use the most appropriate bullet for the job will most assuredly cause a failed hunt for no animal would stand still for an ordinary bullet to strike them dead. No, not with all the premium and super premium bullets on the shelves of every sport hunting store and convenience outlet.

Now if you must be so brave as to enter the kingdom of the beast this fall armed with only an ordinary bullet such as a core-lokt, you must guard such a secret with excuberance. Never to allow any man or beast to steal a glimps of such an ugly duckling bullet. Never let the rays of the sun reflect on the polished ordinary brass case or the drab copper jacket and never let the exposed, rounded tip of the lead nose be seen by your intended quarry.

For if it were known that such an ordinary bullet were being used to take such a majestic and delicious animal, you might not even get a shot...surely the animal would die right before you eyes....from the shame of being kilt with such an ordinary bullet.
    ...And we should all drive volkswagons. If I hadn't had too many experiences with core-lokt bullets blowing out the back side of the animal versus cleaner kills with better-built bullets, I would not have bothered posting. But boxes of premium ammo can cost twice as much, so you can figure out your own trade offs. Of course, some folks like to blow things up, but I like clean harvests. Just my 2-bits. For the price you paid for it, I guess you can't complain, right? Or maybe you can.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by goblue View Post
    Looking for some experts, or at least someone more knowledgeable tham myself (shouldn't be hard). I am a relatively inexperienced hunter, and brand new to Alaska hunting. I am going on a moose hunt, and was told that 180 grain for my .30-06 would be sufficient. Along with my little experience comes little money. I am looking for a load that will do the job. I am a firm believer in getting what you pay for, but some of the ammo is a bit expensive. Will the Remington Core Lokt take care of business, or will I find myself tracking for miles? Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
    Craig,

I have some 30-06 ammo that I loaded for another individual but he has failed to pick it up. It is in new brass and with 220 grain Kodiak bonded bullets. I guarantee it will pass through any moose from any angle. If it is well placed, he will not go far. This ammo is in Fairbanks, if you can get here to pick it up it is yours, free for your moose or even grizzly hunt. It was loaded for use against big brownie and it will work for that. Two boxes of twenty in slip top plastic boxes, about an $80 value.

I make this "premium" ammo and sell it cheaper than factory and it is a helluva lot better, custom taylored to a specific application. This makes about 200,000 rounds I've loaded for the 30-06 and I'm starting to get the hang of it.

Send me an e-mail if you're interested.
    Last edited by Murphy; 08-24-2007 at 22:07.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

What!?

Why can you not take this in jest? I don't care what bullets you use but just so you know this makes no sense to me.

You say you stopped using core lokts because the were to frangible then you say you had too many experiences with them blowing out the back side of the animal.

Frangible bullets do not exit. Secondly if a well aimed bullet exits it will probably kill quickly. The problem with some lighter constructed bullets, such as the core lokt, is that they expand too much or break up on the entry side of the animal and fail to penetrate to the vitals. Usually they breakup because they are driven too fast and this causes excess meat damage which is messy. Is that what you say is not a clean kill?

Obviously the original poster here was concerned about cost and was asking about the use of more inexpensive core lokt ammunition. I think even he knows that most premium bullets are better but out of his price range.

Loosen up and laugh one in a while. Ok fine, it wasn't funny.
    Yeah, ok. I'll take it in jest. Sometimes things across as being kind of critical of other people's opinions ...maybe it's just the usual bane of the Internet. If someone were speaking to you in person, you'd catch that they were joking around, but when typed, it can sound like the opposite. My bad. I'd rather keep things on the up and up, friendly, good neighbors...

I called the core lokt frangible, not because it's a true frangible bullet, but because I've recovered them before and seen nothing but the base of the bullet left over. The mushroomed portion had completely disappeared (in addition to blowing out the back side of the animal.) This was with the 165 grain (I believe) and the 180 grain rounds, a .30-06, and shooting deer. It seems to me that if Remington designed these rounds for a .30-06, that they'd put a bit more antimony in the lead or something, so it wouldn't expand itself into shrapnel like that. Being 'driven too fast' when using a factory-loaded round, to me, shouldn't even apply to this conversation because if the Remington folks designed and loaded it for a particular rifle, then the bullet should perform properly. I guess they wanted maximum shock at the expense of integrity ...a different philosophy than mine and one that my experience tells me isn't necessary or optimal. Yes, the core-lokt are effective and low cost. I still buy them now and then when I'm unwilling to pay the extra $$$ for the fancies. In comparison, the Barnes solid-coppers that I've shot kill just as effectively but expand little when punching through light game that's easy to kill (paper-punching deer lungs works just fine) and expand 'just right' when going into/through larger game and maintain enough mass and momentum to break shoulders and end up in the body cavity. Hard to do better than that. I hate giving up meat unnecessarily ...just a personal pet-peeve I guess.

Thanks for explaining your post. Sorry that I didn't get it on the first pass.

Brian

Craig,

I have some 30-06 ammo that I loaded for another individual but he has failed to pick it up. It is in new brass and with 220 grain Kodiak bonded bullets. I guarantee it will pass through any moose from any angle. If it is well placed, he will not go far. This ammo is in Fairbanks, if you can get here to pick it up it is yours for your moose or even grizzly hunt. It was loaded for use against big brownie and it will work for that. Two boxes of twenty in slip top plastic boxes, about an $80 value.

I make this "premium" ammo and sell it cheaper than factory and it is a helluva lot better, custom taylored to a specific application. This makes about 200,000 rounds I've loaded for the 30-06 and I'm starting to get the hang of it.

Send me an e-mail if you're interested.
    What do you sell it for, Murphy? I'm thinking it might fit just right into my Ruger for this Fall... And as you know, I'm in FBX as well.

Brian

Default Personally

I wouldn't use corelokts for anything other than punching holes in paper. There are just too many good bullets on the market today to restrict yourself to something as poor as the corelokt. 'couse that's just my .02.
    RIDE TALL, SHOOT STRAIGHT AND ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH

Default as posted form the hunting forum

Go Blue

A remington core lokt is a fine round. It will never win any of the glam awards like the nosler, barnes, TBBC, etc. Like others have said, the remington ammo has been putting meat in the freezer for years. However, let me throw this at you.

I shot a 66" moose up in the White Mtns in '04. It was 325+- yards away. I was using a Savage 30-06 with Winchester Fail Safe 180 grainers. I put the first round behind the shoulder... the bull didn't flinch. Thinking I missed, I racked another downrange. I hear the second un-mistakable thud... the bull still didn't flinch. I racked another in the chamber as the bull turned to look up the hill were I was shooting from. I aimed for the center chest and fired.... no thud... no movement from the bull. Racked #4 and aimed at mid neck... thud... the bull turned and WALKED about 10 feet, out-of-sight behind an alder tree. We found the bull about 20 yards from where the first shot was taken. Two shots behind the shoulder (within 3 inches of each other) --- one was a pass through, one was under the skin on the other side. The third shot was a definite miss. The fourth skimmed the right side rid cage, entered the front of the right ham, centered the femur, busted through, and exited the ham. the bull had massive organ damage and completely bled out to the inside.

I may be wrong... not trying to belittle the core-lokts, but I'm not so sure I would have gotten that type of penetration/exit/bullet performance from them, with that caliber, at that range. I could be wrong, but I believe the extra dollars for premium bullets are worth the money. I mean the fail safes were only 10 dollars more a box than the remington stuff. I know you're on a budget, as was I at the time, but really $10... Opt for the best bullet you can buy that shoots tight out of your rifle. The recovered fail safe could have been used in a magazine advertisement. It weighed 175 grains and was perfectly pedaled.

The ammo will be the least expensive part of your trip. 30-06 ammo is cheap anyway... buy BIG GAME bullets and then you won't have the doubt in your mind. Moose soak up punishment, take awhile to bleed out, and have very wide cross-sections. A bullet has it's work cut out for it busting through moose bone, tissue, and muscle.

Once again, not saying core-lokts wouldn't do the same job, but for the minimal increased cost, buy good heavily constructed ammo. Good luck... moose hunting is unforgettable, just be ready when you have to deal with 1600 lbs of dead weight on the ground.... the fun is over!

Default The Fun is just begining...

I love to butcher moose...that's the funnest part of the whole hunting, that's when you know, all your hard work, & dedication has paid off...& then cooking the moose, with sauteed mushrooms & onions, some salt & pepper, t-bones to medium rare! There's no finer fare!

Core Lockt works...
    Last edited by gogoalie; 08-24-2007 at 18:05. Reason: additions..

I just picked up several hundred 165 gr. CL .308's and several hundred 150 gr. Winchester PP .308's. For my deer hunting in Wi, I feel I'm in good hands with those, along with the 180 gr. Hornady Interlocks I've used the last three years.

Also, if I lived in AK and were shooting an appropriate caliber like a .338 WM, I'd not object to using CL or PP on Moose I suppose. Since I don't, I'd definitely opt for most anything Nosler, Swift, Barnes or the better Hornady's or anything else that's tough and built to stay together.

I would think too, that if there is even a remote chance of there being griz or BB in the area, that you'd want something that can dissuade them as well as take said Bullwinkle!

What do I know though, I'm just a Cheesehead...go Packers!

Dave

Default Vikings!

GO VIKINGS! BEAT THOSE PACKERS!

Core Lokts are good...

We as shooters are blessed with a variety of bullets some are very innovative and some are common as mud we can fuss with each other at considerable lengths concerning the terminal effects of these bullets but that is sometimes not very constructive. I buy bullets that range from the least expensive to the 2 dollar a bullet stuff. Why? Because I like to shoot and I have axcess to deer hunting with a very liberal bag limets also I have had the chance to see the terminal performance on these deer with a wide range of bullets and I can tell you that I have never failed to harvest a deer that I made a clean shot on. I understand that the origanal ? was about Rem. Corelocks and I feel that big animal takes a big bullet I feel that the 180gr. if it shoots well should be enough but if it were me I would try the 220s as sugested in a previous reply provided that they shot well with in the ranges you have for moose that is what I would go with.

Where the premium bullets come into play is when you are trying to harvest large game with the smaller or less powerful rounds and you need a little edge to make a quick and humane kill.

When you get to 30cal.or larger bullets in the 180gr. and up stuff things like bullet construction and velocity means less and less as more lead and more frontal area makes a bigger hole lets more air in and more blood out and that equals cleaner kills.

I have shot many deer with 170 corelocks out of a 30-30 in my youth and wonder at how many moose have been harvested with the same in Alaska I am not condoning shooting moose with a 30-30 merely asking a ?

I read somewhere that more deer had been killed with a 30/30 than with any other gun (a big surprise to me ...I'd have guessed a .270). The same article went on to list a few other species that have been killed by a 30/30, and it included all the big game on North America. Personally, I'd be happy to shoot a deer with a 30/30 if it weren't too far away, but I'd move up the ladder a bit for the rest of the animals. Over time, people have gone up up up on their estimates of what it takes to kill an animal... interesting, eh? For the economy-minded though, fine shooting combined with high ethics about what kind of shot you are willing to take will save you dollars on gear, cartridges, and powder.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by goblue View Post
    Will the Remington Core Lokt take care of business, or will I find myself tracking for miles?
    If the packaging is correct on the factory fodder that is printed Remigton and states "cor-lok" which is funny it has to be. Not my flavor of bullet and cost for success is key - so called "premiums" are my cup of tea.

Rems have been killing for all the yrs I can remember and still going strong-it is just what you want in the end I suppose-a keepsake?d I have one or two or maybe more of the "cor-loks" as keepers and ain't much left-but they killed. Have some pride and joys in my collection, Swifts,Barnes,Speer GS,Bear Claw, Swifts and more Swifts-beautiful mushroomed specimans.

I would take the offer from Murphy, he knows his bullets/load combos.

good hunting!