Thread: Eagle River Crossing

Default Eagle River Crossing

I am wondering how the Eagle River is at the crossing on the Crow pass trail. I have looked at the Hydrology Data at the Advanced Hydrological Prediction Service information at NOAA. Before I hike out there and have to turn around, has anyone done the crossing in the last little while?

Sean

If you cross at the designated location, you shouldn't ever have a problem. Much of the volume of Eagle River is added downstream of the crossing site from the numerous mountain streams that drain into the valley. At the ford site you only have the water from Eagle Glacier and it is very wide and spread out. I have crossed it 25+ times, and have never noticed more than 3-4 inches of difference, even when the water was supposedly "really high".

Default Thanks - completed the hike

Crossed with 4 people interlocking arms. Worked well, Water was Waist deep and moving fairly forcefully. The real challenge is down trail towards the Nature Center (between the crossing and twin falls), as the trail is washed out and you are inches away from, my guess class 1 or 2 rapids and fast moving water with sweepers to get caught under if you are fatiged and slip off the trail. Some of the sections are a few feet vertical, and some are muddy with slipping possible. Slow sure movement seems to be essential through that area.

Quote Originally Posted by messierobject100 View Post
    Crossed with 4 people interlocking arms. Worked well, Water was Waist deep and moving fairly forcefully. The real challenge is down trail towards the Nature Center (between the crossing and twin falls), as the trail is washed out and you are inches away from, my guess class 1 or 2 rapids and fast moving water with sweepers to get caught under if you are fatiged and slip off the trail. Some of the sections are a few feet vertical, and some are muddy with slipping possible. Slow sure movement seems to be essential through that area.
    Are you talking about where the ladder is? When we went through last weekend the water was low enough to get down on the river bed to go around the rock and bypass the ladder.