Thread: leupold rangefinders

Default leupold rangefinders

I was wondering if anyone has used one of the rx-II or RX-III models with TBR. Ive been checking them out but havnt heard any reveiws on them. The price isnt bad compared to other models. Thats the only thing that scares me so far is that leupold hasnt jacked up the price. If they are such a great thing why arnt they priced like their scopes? Thanks for any info Hillbilly.

funny thing, i just hunted a guy from leupold and he had the new rangefinder with the TBR thing in it and i've got a bushnell. man his was awesome, i wish i had one for goat hunting and sheep, gives you the angles and everything for actaul shooting distance(horizontal distance). He said the reason they are priced so well is to overtake the market, high priced rangefinders aren't sold like the bushnell and nikons all in the 200 buck price range. so they made one and are selling it the same price for the most part. volume rather than selling a few really spendy ones, ie...swarovski, leica. been guiding for almost 10 years and i'd pay money for one...and no he didn't give me his!! lol bow hunters and muzzle loaders and guys in steep country would do well to have one, i sure had fun playing with it. anyway, they are neat and i find myself hoping my bushnell falls in the lake so i have an excuse to get a new one!!

I just picked up the RX-III a few weeks ago and it's pretty sweet, although I haven't had a chance to figure out all of the features. I've had a Bushnell for several years and while it's worked alright it doesn't come close to the Leupold. I'd definitely recommend the RX if you're in the market for a rangefinder.

Cool Mo' Money

There you go making me spend more money. Been wanting to get a range finder for several years, however I've managed to keep my money in my pocket. But now you've got my wheels a turning!

-Carnivore

Default Leupold

I've read mostly negative reviews on other online forums. Most of the complaints were in regard to complexity of use and failure to return a range on dark colored objects.

I hear Bushnell has just come out with a true ballistic range RF as well. Also, Opti-logic has had one out for a couple years.

After researching these three, I think I'm going to wait for Nikon to come out with one.

Default RX_III reasons,

WaterProof RX-III, matched to the BAS system for Leupold scopes, Inclinometer are the reasons I purchased it.

Use for Bow Hunting a plus to, especially when putting a sport in a tree and having them look for themselves at objects on the ground to see the difference yds LOS vs True Ballistics Range.

Really pretty clear with a 8x28mm.

The complexity is not that bad really, If you shoot a particular load you match the ballistics to one of 7 groups. I set mine for BAS and Group AB so I can just use B+ C feature in Leupold scopes and bingo, on at 300, 400, 450. No place to shoot 500

Not bad for 180 NP bullets. I still would not plan on shooting beyond 350.

Advantage too, if hunting partner is shooting different load, just switch to their Group and tell them with confidence the actual TBR on a steep slope.

Can't wait to really use it and shoot at some long/steep angles to really test it out.

Dark shapes?? will have to test too.

i'll have to go with the leupold when i get a new one, bushnell and nikon haven't really dazzled me with ANY of their optics, i find it hard to imagine their range finders are better than the leupolds, everyones gonna have a opinion i guess and are welcome to it. be neat to have a outdoor optics store so we could really compare some products in the open rather than across sportsmans wharehouse...
    truth be told, ones probably just as good as the next.
    complexity of them takes a bit of reading, but once you get the TBR figured out they work slick...shoot, 90 percent of the world still thinks the Adjustable Objective on a scope is for shooting at farther distances!!! lol

Default rangefinder

Thanks for the replies. Im not sure about all that complex stuff but it sounds like it should work. Im not shooting a leupold scope but i am shooting a burris with the ballistic plex ret. I was wondering what are the group (AB) settings. Im mean do they have a light mag and a magnum setting or is it by bullet weight or even something else? Im not sure i understand the setting thing. Thanks Hillbilly

Default AB settings on Leupold Range Finder

Quote Originally Posted by H_I_L_L_B_I_L_L_Y
    Thanks for the replies. Im not sure about all that complex stuff but it sounds like it should work. Im not shooting a leupold scope but i am shooting a burris with the ballistic plex ret. I was wondering what are the group (AB) settings. Im mean do they have a light mag and a magnum setting or is it by bullet weight or even something else? Im not sure i understand the setting thing. Thanks Hillbilly

Go to this site: Will answer your questions and more...http://www.leupold.com/products/RX%2...C_01-03-06.pdf

good luck

Default Leupold Rangefinder

I looked at one of these at my gun shop and was very bummed after just getting a new bushnell last xmas. However, after seeing some of the very negative reviews on other forums, I'm glad I didn't rush right out and get one. I'd wait, as I think that from all I've read, Leupold has a ways to go with this one, since most of the unit is really a Wind rRver, made in China job.