Thread: Sitka Silvers on a Fly

Default Sitka Silvers on a Fly

I am taking my father, brother & brother-in-law on a fishing adventure to Lake Eva in early Sept (9/7 - 9/14). I have been to Sitka and Eva before, but have had very little luck catching a silver on a fly. I have used ESLs primarily in the past, but want to expand my selection. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks
    Chris

have a good selection of clousers as well pink and white, chartruse and white, and light blue and white are all very good colors. Typically the closer to saltwater you are the more fishlike you want your flies to look, if the fish are spooky at all esls are good bets.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

hey, cnhume!

how'd it go? I caught a billion dollies, and good numbers of cutts at eva; many on dries in the weedbed just above the outlet. awesome, didn't know dollies were into dries this time o year (i.e., early september when i went). also, there were unusually large dollies in the inlet - mostly sea run. I had many bear encounters until it rained 5 days into the week.

I hope you enjoyed it. I spent alot of time cleaning up the cabin, which was trashed inside and out when I went (lots of left over food, paper, etc x 1000).

motor worked great for me and the silvers were really building up towards the end of my trip, but still in the mid single digit landings/day. even caught a pretty big sea run cutt in the lagoon.

Anyone else catch fall/late summer trout on dries? I haven't experienced this and wonder if it was this particular site (lake eva) or the warm early september or was just lucky.
    Last edited by stevesch; 09-26-2007 at 16:10. Reason: accuracy, grammar

you wouldn't happpen to be the group that did the 2 double kayaks would ya? If it is, shoot me an email, I'll give you some freshwater flies to try out. dawn-dan@gci.net

if so howd the pickup with Brian go? How was the trip? I was wondering how the kayaking went with the horrible weather.

Hope ya had fun, I never did hear how the fishing went.

Dan

Nope, wasn't me...I used the cabin skiff and brought a rental motor which cnhume also rented after me... the dollies/cutts were going after a may/midge hatch at the surface pretty much all week. Unusual in my experience....fun, tho. better than pinks, of which there were plenty.

Steve,

I was wondering if Chris, CNE was the guys I took out and dropped off. The boss picked them up. I didnt hear how thing went either.

Well, the trip was a good trip. The fishing was quite good for silvers early in the week, but tailed off as the week moved on. We did not get 1 drop of rain during our stay, and the lake probably dropped 2-3 ft which i am sure affected our silver fishing. We spent quite a bit of time in the outlet stream catching silvers and pinks on flies. The dollies are always thick and fun to catch on light gear. All in all, it was a good trip, but if i make another trip to Eva, it will probably be later in the month. The silver fishing seems to be more consistent.

Steve, thanks for cleaning up the cabin, it was in great shape, and we left it the same.

As for the kayaks, that was not us, but it sounds like a great time, maybe something to try in the future.

Chris

you're most welcome - and thank you as well for the report - I coulda sworn the bite was about to go WO and I just missed it -but maybe we were both a bit early:

My best silver day was about 5 or 6 fish landed out of a dozen hooked (all at the outlet), which was the morning after the big rain. That brought the lake up a couple feet and it was good and cloudy. There wasn't much precip for the whole month of august in sitka, which might have contributed to the late run there. I actually got a little bit of drizzle here and there throughout the week; certainly not sunny.

Just hadn't really busted loose yet. Was OK, tho, all the fish were fresh.