Thread: Sitka Silvers

Default Sitka Silvers

I have put together a trip for my father, brother & brother-in-law to come to Sitka from 9/7 - 9/14. Our current plan is to fish for Halibut for 1 day and then fly to Lake Eva and fish for silvers for the other 5 days. I have been to Eva before, but never this early. Does anyone have any thoughts about how the silver fishing will be?

Also, I would like to try my hand at landing a silver on a fly, but am not sure what to tie up. I have a small selection of ESL and Flash Flies, any other suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Chris

It better be great, cuz I'm going to Eva the week before you. I've had luck with starlite leech version of ESLs in various colors as well as black and white; all with red/orange/pink heads.

I also hope it is great. I have been to Eva several times, but it has always been near the end of Sept. By then, they dont seem too interested in flies (or could be user error). Do you mainly catch them in the river or the lake? I have hooked up a couple times in the outlet, but never got one to the bank. Have a great trip, and you can leave all of your extra booze in the cabin, we will take care of it

I do well on flashflies, bunnies, ESL's, stuff like that. Sometimes dries (pink wogs), usually near outlets or first mile from them, and other holding water.

By the way, since you've stayed there - how much stove oil do you think I should bring for a week stay at EVA? 10 gallons is what I usually bring.

Good luck - if I remember, I'll leave you guys a note or something on what worked.

Gotta go finish packing.

We fish pretty hard every day and usually dont use the stove unless the weather is really miserable. Even at night, after cooking the cabin stays pretty warm. Having said that, i usually bring 5-10 gallons of fuel. I think when we went 2 yrs ago, we had one day that the weather was too bad to fish at all, and we only burned 2.5 gal during a 5 day stay. In addition, the tank usually has some left from the previous party, but dont count on it.