If you don't already have it?

Calibre:
    Stock:
    Barrel:
    Scope:
    AMMO:
    Extras:

Why?

For hunting, 25-284 NULA mdl 20, leupold 6X42 w/ turrets, loaded w/ barnes 100 tsx. Light, accurate, mild recoil. Good bullets properly placed will kill anything, and I'd use this for everything but moose and big bears. I have those chores covered.

For range 223 ackley, accurized rem 700, McMillan A5, Pacnor 1-8 3 groove super match 20" #7 contour, Leupold VX-III 3.5-10 w/ turrets, ammo 50 gr V-max and 75 gr A-max. Accurate, cheap to shoot, no recoil, perfect trainer for way out there shooting.

The rifle I carry the most is a Ruger Left handed SS with a Lilja barrel in 338 WM topped with a Leupold 2.5x8 and carried in a McMillan stock.
    If I want to go lighter it will be my Win 70 Leftie in 300 WSM carrying a 3x9 Compact Leupold sitting in a McMillan Edge stock.
    Heavier it will be either my Hein leftie 375H&H or my Chapuis double in 9,3x74R.
    Tennessee

Stay tuned. It's currently being built right now. Hoping the gunsmith will call in another month or so and tell me to come get it.

Quote Originally Posted by gogoalie View Post
    If you don't already have it?

Calibre:
    Stock:
    Barrel:
    Scope:
    AMMO:
    Extras:

Why?
    left hand bolt, left hand gas escape port, right hand load eject port, stainless mauser 98 style action modified to have a tang safety. (to be able to look at and into the action and mag and chamber at all times without losing spotweld)also safeties belong away from the same side as the bolt to avoid inadvertant manipulation under fast stressed cycling of the bolt.

22 inch chrome lined polygonal barrel chambered to .404 jeffrey. (the combination of chrome and poly both give better velocity, extraction, cleaning and rust resistance which makes it better than any other style barrel ever made on earth). and the .404 jeffrey has been everywhere in the world and done it all in style with the best feeding design of any case ever made bar none.

ruger skeketon stock ( I just love those utilitarian things for gripability) with decelerator recoil pad....I was one of those who cried the day ruger quit making the black paddle.

leupold 1.5-5 vari-XIII heavy matte duplex in a HK style claw lock mount like the 770 or maybe the G3 style with receiver profiled. (both are the best release systems I have ever used) besides its a dream rifle so the cost of making a mauser handle those mounts is of no monetary consequence.

why choose all this? so I can pay attention to where I step and where I am going and put all my thought into my surroundings and the walk, hike or hunt and never give a 2nd thought to my rifle ... it would already be the best the world had to offer.

jedi

The big-bore carriers in the state are pretty evenly split between .375 H&H and the .338, but nobody is voting for the .375 H&H? I wonder why? What about the .375 Ruger?

Brian

Holland & Holland, any caliber. Why think small or inexspensive

Quote Originally Posted by tananaBrian View Post
    The big-bore carriers in the state are pretty evenly split between .375 H&H and the .338, but nobody is voting for the .375 H&H? I wonder why? What about the .375 Ruger?

Brian
    .375 Ruger is too new, and finding ammo for it is a little difficult and expensive. Besides, the .375H&H is an outstanding cartridge as it is. The .375 Weatherby has been around for a long time already shoots pretty fast, ammo for it is expensive, and hurts the shoulder just as much as the Ruger. The .30-06, .300WM, and .338WM are the most popular cartridges up here, at least as all around cartridges.

Now, my dream rifle would be a D'Arcy Echold "Legend' in .338WM, topped with a matte Leupold Vary-X III 2.5-8x. But since I can't afford such rifle, my work one is a stainless Ruger M77 MK-II in .338WM, topped with the Leupold above, and wrapped on a fairly cheap but tough Hogue Rubber-Overmolded stock. I have been loading it with 225-grain TSX lately, but I just shot a few Federal rounds with the same bullet and was impressed to say the least. The heaviest bullet I like for it is the .275-grain A-Frame, or the 250-grain Partition for lung shots.

Why? Because of its versatility as an all around cartridge, and powerful enough to put anything down in Alaska.

Default Dream setup?

Another take on the 'if you only had one, what would it be' threads?
    Okay, here's my pick....a pre-war Model 70 Winchester Super Grade in .300 H&H with a Griffin & Howe side mount and my perennial favorite piece of glass, an older Weaver K4.
    Tomorrow, in a different mood, I might pick a 94 carbine in .32 Special.....

I already have my dream close range big game rifle, so I will have to go with my "dream" long range big game rifle.

It will be built on either a winchester classic or Montana rifleman action. The lightest contour lija barrel I can get in .338. Fluted and 28" long, chambered in 338 RUM. McMillan Edge stock with Leupold Vx7 4.5-18x56 scope with B&C reticle.

Shooting 225gr Nosler Accubonds at 3150fps with a versa-pod with extra tall and prone sticks. Complete rifle finished by robar with thier Roguard and NP3 finishes even the internal parts.

Quote Originally Posted by tananaBrian View Post

Brian
    Brian,

The issue with the 375 H&H is the currently available guns chambered in it. Sadly the Win M70 has been discontinued, and most folks that want a 375 want a claw extractor crf action. The Rem 700 isn't one. Ruger only offers the 375 in their magnum action which IMHO is too large of a gun for a 375, or rather a 375 doesn't need to be that big and heavy. The CZ-550 is a decent gun but foreign made.

With the 338 win mag, it'll fit in any std length action, and you have the best gun for the money, the Ruger M77mkII.

Also 338's are generally a pound lighter than 375's, and that extra pound makes a difference when you're putting miles under your feet vs under a 4 wheeler.

There's absolutely nothing you are undergunned against with a 338 up here. If you want more of a stopper, jump directly to a 416.

I guess that I'm trying to figure out what my ideal gun would be (in addition to my 15-yr old Ruger .30-06 that I would never give up.) The wife wants to take up hunting so we need Rifle #2. I'm not hearing enough about the .375's to really lean in that direction yet, but I read some stats somewhere that had the .375 H&H owners running on a par number wise with the .338 owners. I've heard some say that the .338 kicks worse than a .375 H&H, and I've heard it the other way around too. I figure a LimbSaver on either would be close enough and I don't really care if a gun kicks a bit or not ...guns are guns. So as of this particular second in time, here's how I'd define my ideal 'next' gun:

Caliber: .338 Win Mag (unless someone convinces me to get a .338-06 or a .375 H&H)

Stock: What comes with it ...but prefer laminated for larger magnums, wood is OK with me, synthetic is OK but light.

Barrel: 23", stainless

Scope: Leupold VX-3 3.5x10x40 to save $$ or the VX-L 3.5x10x50 if splurging

AMMO: My own.

Extras: Limbsaver recoil pad. Sling.

Default The dream;

CheyTac 408 on chasis topped with a NF, doped to 2500 yds. The ultimate dream!!
    RIDE TALL, SHOOT STRAIGHT AND ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH

Brian,

Get your wife a featherweight 7-08 and handload it for her. Also make sure the stock is cut down to fit her.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    Brian,

Get your wife a featherweight 7-08 and handload it for her. Also make sure the stock is cut down to fit her.
    Great deer gun, but she has no problem with recoil so there's no reason not to round up a little. She thinks big-recoil is fun (?). I want her to try the .30-06 before making further decisions. It's got a decelerator on it and it's very easy to shoot. I just want to see how she does at holding it up and shooting ...might be a little long and heavy for her, but I also don't want her first try to be the decision maker ...we'll go shooting several times. But I can probably shoot a short '06 better than she can manage a long one, so it's the gun that might get cut down. The stock has a tiny split in it right at the fore end, so it doesn't mean a lot to me anyway. ...Been meaning to replace it for about 10 years now I think . She's not going to go hunting this year that I know of, I think... so no big hurry.

Brian

Smile Oh yeah

I have it! A Mod. 70 Win. with the "claw". A 23" tube that puts 5 Barnes X 250 grain bullets into a 1" group at a 100 yards. A 3 pound press on the trigger. Smooth action that works every time. NECG iron sights. Receiver drilled for 8x40 screws with Warne bases and quick detach rings holding a Leupold 2.5x8 by 36 mm matte scope with a duplex reticle. Ted Blackburn one piece drop floor plate and trigger guard assembly so the gun holds 4 rounds in the magazine and 5 if chambered. A Mark Bansners 20 oz. Confederate Grey stock for a little under 8 lbs. total "gun" weight. I think I will take it out to the garage and pretend I am shooting everything Alaska has to offer. It goes to my 3 year old grandson someday. He is exhibiting signs of our recessive gene.

Blaser R93 Attache

7x64 barrel with sights

Swarovski scope with a rail

The barrel is on its way from Germany hope to have the rest by next spring.

Wink While I am Dreaming!

1. Cal. 7x57 Mauser Mod. 98.
    2. Stock. Dark figured walnut, Bagstone? Custom cut checkering.
    3. Barrel. 24 in. blue douglas premium, bright, bluing.
    4. Scope 4x Leupold , fixed.
    5. Ammo. handloads, Nosler partitions.
    6. Extras. barrel band, express sights,detach type mounts, bolt changed to spoon type, steel forend cap, no plastic on rifle, hard rubber recoil pad , barrel channel sealed, detach type leather sling, Galico?? lite custom trigger.
    7. Why? what an unfair question, one of a kind, that craftsmen spent time on, and not an off the shelf rifle.
    ; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed. 1 SAMUEL 2;30

I have two LH Chuck Daly Mauser actions.

One is going to be a .338-06 AI with an iron sighted, E.R. Shaw barrel, a Wenig laminated stock and topped with a fixed 4x IOR/Valdada scope with the 4A German reticle. I'll probably swap triggers at some point for a Jard and a Gentry three-position M-70 type bolt sleeve safety.

The other will be a similar set-up either in .30-06 or 9.3x62 Mauser.
    It'll certainly be the 9.3x62 Mauser if I can find a factory LH Chuck Daly or Mark X .30-06 already made.

I also have two Tikka T3 Lites, an AR flat-top build and a longbow on the list to round out the battery.
    Now what ?

TananaBrian:

The average .375 H&H is heavier than the average .338WM rifle, so if you shoot two similarly designed rifles of both calibers, the extra weight if the .375 H&H helps tame recoil a little more. However, the .375 H&H kicks more than the .338WM because its case holds a lot more powder.

Stock design and weight makes a big difference in relation to recoil. For example, my Ruger M77 MK-II had what some of us call "boat paddle" stock. This stock is ugly, but very strong. The problem with it is the hard and thin recoil pad, so my .338 felt recoil is greater with this stock than with the Hogue Rubber-overmolded it now has. Most laminate stocks are heavy, but that helps with recoil, too.

Now, the .338WM is perhaps the most popular cartridge with Alaska hunters, right next to the .30-06, and to the .300WM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast