Thread: any more fuel flow meter input

Default any more fuel flow meter input

I did a search and found some input on fuel flow meters from earlier. The only 2 manufacturers mentioned were Navman/northstar and Floscan. I have two applications, both outboards. One is a 150hp carbureted Yamaha V-Max and the other is a new 150hp Etec.
    I have heard that there are some manufacturers or models to stay away from but the info is sketchy at best. I hear they quit working or are finicky. Is there anything I should be concerned with on the 2 before mentioned manufacturers? Is there any reason to pay more for the Floscan which appears to provide the same functions as the Northstar (Model 2100)?

I had a floscan on my old Hewescraft and It worked great and was very accurate. Floscan has made flow meters for a long time and if you get one you wont be disappointed.

You should be able to get all the info you need out of the E-Tec by hooking it up to any NMEA 2000 compatible device (like a lowrance sonar/gps unit) You will need a dedicated flow meter for the V-Max though.

Default fuel flow meter

I have the Northstar. My first one (Navman then) quit after about 2 years, due to a turbine problem of some sort. I decided to try it one more time, because it was fairly inexpensive. The Northstar has worked all year, and they are quite accurate, usually within a gallon at 100 gallons on my 225 Honda.
    Lawance makes a LMF-200 that I was going to buy instead. I haven't heard anything about them.

Default Consumer Marine has Floscan 5500 for $270 F.O.B. Anchorage

Just got mine yesterday 5 days after placing order via internet.

Default price all inclusive

TitoBandito, was that price inclusive of everything needed except the beer to finish the job?
    I am still learning, but figure my instrument is in the panel, the transducer? is back at the transom for a run of 12' +/-. Do all the models come with wiring too?
    MT, don't know about NMEA. We each run with a gps, mine is a garmin e-trex. Is there a way to plug a portable GPS into the flow meter?
    What do you guys think about a guage with a needle vs a led readout?
    I also read somewhere about a unit that you could adjust to make more accuate. I thought the unit was supposed to tell the operator about the fuel used, not the other way around. I do know that fuel, based on temperature, can vary in quantity measured greatly by contraction and expansion. My guess is that being within 1% (1gallon per 100) is pretty darn good.

The big thing with the Northstar is to ensure you have a filter installed before the turbine. Also mounting vertical helps keep the the turbine bubble free.

Mine is working great and accuracy is +/- 1 gal.

I'm running a Lowrance LMF-400 and am very pleased with it. I don't have the fuel turbine as it is able to communicate directly with my suzuki and get's fuel readings from the engine CPU. It also provides alot of information directly from the engine.

Unfortunately my gps is an older unit so doesn't talk to the meter to allow me to calculate mileage.

Default floscan

The floscan for $270 came with everything needed except the 3-strand wire to run from the turbine to the meter body. It has dip switches to allow calibration either up or down to get the meter to read within 2% of actual fuel usage. It displays gph on a needle & has a digital totalizer. If you put a toggle switch on the totalizer power lead wire, then you can reset it anytime. A higher priced digital unit (no needle gage) is available to interface with a GPS unit to also display mpg which is the ultimate in convenience for picking best speed to minimize fuel use. Otherwise you have to do some math to go from gph to gpm.

I installed my Navman 3100 on a gimbal bracket because I didn't want to cut another hole. Real-time mpg and range are just two of it's many features. I suggest you go online and read the installation/instruction manuals before you decide. http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?s...view_album.php
    Last edited by Lowranger; 08-25-2007 at 11:10. Reason: C-Brats Webmaster prefers links over pics

Your Garmin is probably compatible with NMEA 0183 output which I do not think will work with the E-Tec since it is a NMEA 2000 output. You can get the lowrance LMS guages pretty inexpensive. They plug straight into the EMM (on the evinrude) and read the output signal. Therefor you get the actual fuel flow numbers through the injectors as well as several other monitoring signals. Pretty slick setup really.

Default not a simple choice

It seems like on the 2007 150hp E-tec using the motor's computer would be a good idea. In that case I would have to go to the Flowscan, maybe the Nav 3100, or the Lowrance.
    On my Carbureted 2004 150hp Yamaha that might not be an option. In that case I would be looking at the Navman 2100 w/digital readout or maybe the slightly more expenseive Floscan.
    What I do know is that gas in Galena is at least $4.70/gal at Crowley's and a bit more than $5.00/gal on the river. Saving a gallon an hour will translate into pretty much paying for the instruments, and if needed, the labor for installation in just one hunting season. I will put on roughly 50 hours on the boat in a 10 day period on the Yukon, and will end up with 60 to 70 hours total for the month of September.
    Thanks guys for all the input.

You don't need to spend $300-$500 for a flowmeter.

http://www.boatersland.com/far-ffm002.html

$189 complete. I've owned this Faria flowmeter for three years and it performs flawlessly. I think this is one of the most important gauges I have.

Default If size matters

I ordered a Navman to start with, and the unit was huge. I returned it, and got a floscan since it has a tach built in, and it fits in the standard tach hole in my dash. It is amazingly accurate, within a gallow over 80 gallons burned. It does over report if I am idling a lot, not it is very accurate when running at speed.

Default 2 each northstar F210 on the way

Thanks everybody for the input. I chose to go with the Navman/Northstar F210 units for both the 2004 150 Johnson carb and the 2007 150 e-tec. Should be a fairly simple straight forward install and I can alway upgrade, especially the e-tec, later. For now the fuel flow along with total fuel used and alarm are about all I need. That coupled with my E-Trex mounted on the dash and maybe I can save the purchase cost this year alone.
    I found what I thought was a good price of $114. at http://www.boatersland.com. They had Faria, Floscan, and Lowrance as well. I called instead of using the internet and the sales person indicated that the Faria and Northstar were pretty equal from what they had seen.
    Anybody in FAI want to put in a flowmeter and go for a ride?

Good for you Rat, From now on you'll KNOW how much gas you've got. Considering that most emergencies are from running out, a fuel-flow computer should almost be required equipment.

In addition to knowing how much fuel you have, if you have a gps you can figure out the most efficient cruise speed and save a lot of fuel. When I bought my Hewes craft I was told that 3200 RPM was cruise speed, after I installed the flowmeter I found out that if I ran at 3400 RPM I picked up 5 MPH and burned about 1/4gal/hr fuel.

Thumbs up already received the flowmeters

I ordered them in the afternoon on the 27th, which was just at their closing time back east. I already have them in hand. Just need to find the right size hole saw (2") and I am ready to do the install. Man am I happy so far with Boatersland customer service.
    Now let me see, red is hot, black is not, green is ground the world around? or is it the other way?

Default Red wasn't hot

Well, after a weekend of duck hunting and putting away gear, I got the flow meter installed tonight. Took my time (about 3 hours) and it sure looks ok and seems to work. I couldn't find a red wire underneath the console anywhere so kept looking for possibles. Finally determined orange was the color of choice at the time. Go figure.
    The real test comes tomorrow night. I will run the boat for a bit to be sure we don't have any nasty surprises later.
    Also bought a pair of Peltor Com/noise cancelling head sets. The wireless type. That 150hp Yammy even with the prop is more than I care to listen to for 16 hours in 2 days of traveling. They will be mainly used for in-boat communication. They are advertised usable at 2 miles. If it turns out to be remotely true, we will get another set so we can talk boat to boat also.