Thread: Ruger 10/22 Problem

Default Ruger 10/22 Problem

I just picked up a new 10/22 for my boy. Pulled it out of the box once we got home and mounted up the scope. Once the scope was on I showed him how to load it and then went to unload it but the shell would not come out of the chamber. Fished it out and tried again but shell still would not come out. When I fished out the second shell a small spring came out too. Upon inspection I found that the spring was the Extractor Spring and the Extractor and Extractor Plunger are MIA. Not too sure why they were not installed at the factory but they are not there nor loose in the box. The next thing I did was read the fine print in the manual and there seems to be no warranty from Ruger? When a guy purchases a new gun the serial number and such are printed on the government form so I assume the store cannot exchange the gun for one with all the parts? This is a brand new rifle that has never been shot but parts are missing. I looked up the parts and both are only $.50 each but I am not a gunsmith and don't really see a reason why I should have to rebuild a new rifle. I was just wondering if any of you have ever had a similar situation and what my options are.

Thanks

Never had that problem, but I don't own many firearms. I was going to get a 10/22 for my wife as she wants one, but dunno now. I've read the manual and what it has to say is rather confusing. It says that there is no written warranty, but not that there is no warranty at all. I'd recomend trying to contact Ruger first and see what they say. Keep us informed and good luck.
    Chris Willhoite

Have you tried returning to the place you purchased the .22? I would hope any reputable business would make things right.

kingfisherktn

Don't know about printed warranties, but Ruger has ALWAYS stood behind their products. Their QC is so high, I'm surprised you had the problem, and I bet they'll be quick about a fix. Check back with the place you bought it. I'm not sure that Ruger would send them the parts without seeing the gun, but a fix should happen whether or not the dealer has to ship the gun back. Those parts are so cheap, it might be quicker simply to contact a local smith and see if he had them on hand. Especially for a kid, a quick fix for a small fee might be lots better than a longer wait for a round trip to Ruger, but it's your money, not mine.

I'd bring it back to where you bought the rifle and they should make it right for you, CS matters. Shouldn't take them long to fix it for ya.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

I am going to take it back where we got it today and see what they say. I was just wondering if you guys had any ideas.

Thanks

Well it turns out you have 30 days before the paperwork is complete so we now have a new rifle complete with extractor

That's a great little gun. I've put a couple thousand rounds through mine and never had any problems.

Default ruger is awsome

Im guessing that Ive put 10K rounds through mine at 500 bullets per brick its easy. I sent mine back to ruger cause the pin that stops the bolt had started to wear into the reciever. They took my bull barrel, trigger group, stock, and scope stuck it all on to a new reciever and sent it back. They also sent me the barrel stock and trigger group that was originaley with the new reciever.
    ruger rocks
    Daniel

Default 30 days for paperwork

Crumm,

Don't know where you got the gun but I sure don't know what they meant by 30 days before the paperwork is final. When you bought the gun, they should have done the background check call which verifies the gun could legally be transfered to you. If you got another gun, since it was on a different day then when you got the first gun, they should have done another 4473 for the new gun and done another check call.

Default get this!!

about a year ago i went to walmart and found a henry lever action 22lr. did all the paperwork and stuff and one of the guys went in the back and got the box for the rifle. the fella wrote the serial number down and put the gun in the box. he walked me out the door. when i got to my truck i opened the box to look at my purchase. to my horror it was the wrong gun in the box. in the henry box was a taurus lever rifle. i immediatly went back inside and i caught the fella that walked me to the door, he didnt even make it back to sporting goods. i explained the situation to him and he said there was nothing he could do. i asked for the manager and he came and i again explained what had happened, got the same response. i couldnt believe it!! they said since i left the store the sale was final. even though not even two minutes had passed!! all i wanted to do was get the right gun i had purchased. oh well i guess the lost a customer in sporting goods.