Thread: Cabelas selling boats

Default Cabelas selling boats

I heard that Cabela's is selling boats now out of their new WA state store. A few days back there was a new 24ft Hewescraft that showed up all shrinkwrapped with Cabela's on the side and the owners name on the tongue as well as a Hewescraft trailer underneath it. I had never seen a trailer from them, that has to agitate Dewey's some as they just dropped the Weldcraft line since another outside dealer was bringing up new boats and trying to sell them here.

Default Dealers on Notice

Dealers in Alaska need to start taking notice. There are many better deals outside and more and more folks are going to the L48. I talked to a guy while waiting on the tunnel that went to Montana for his Hewscraft and saved over $10K.

I am also finding in my research into used ocean boats that I can pickup a Bayliner 2859 for 1/2 or better than what folks here in Alaska want for them and apparently backed up by so-called boat appraisers.

Just take a look at BoatTraders.com for an example.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Default lower 48 deals

So how are people getting thier newly purchased boats up here? Iíve been looking at used C-Doryís in OR, WA and CA and am amazed at the price difference; these are low hour boats with trailers and full navigational equipment.

Jay

You can have them stuck on a barge and shipped up from Washington. Depending on the size of the boat, figure $5-10k.

Quote Originally Posted by breausaw View Post
    So how are people getting thier newly purchased boats up here? I’ve been looking at used C-Dory’s in OR, WA and CA and am amazed at the price difference; these are low hour boats with trailers and full navigational equipment.

Jay
    The guy I talked to, drove his truck down to Montana and brought his boat back. The 10 K in savings included all that. He also said he had a tank in the bed so he fill up with Diesel in Tok and then didn't have to fuel up again until Montana.

Or make shipping part of the deal.

BTW his was a 28 footer.
    Last edited by AKBassking; 08-24-2007 at 16:59. Reason: adding

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    MMSI# 338131469

I guess I will add my .02's worth to this topic. It all depends on the dealer and what brand of boat you purchase.
    In my own experience of buying I negotiated with Alaska Mining and Diving for over a month before signing the deal for my Sea Sport and they ended up being over $10,000 cheaper than any Washington dealer. Of course this was with me picking the boat up at the factory which I would of done anyway if I had ordered it from the dealer in WA. I think I spent $600 for diesel fuel to drive down and back but I also bought a Yamaha kicker while I was down there and saved another $400 off what Deweys wanted.
    Prior to purchasing the Sea Sport I seriously considered a Hewes Craft 26 footer and the dealers in the lower 48 ran about 10,000 less than Deweys even after I factored in shipping to Anchorage.
    Move to my present Wooldridge boat (which I am picking up end of Sept). The dealer in WA offered me 7% off the msrp while Sea Marita offered me zip off. I ordered the boat through the WA dealer but the motor (installed price)was actually a few hundred less at Sea Marita.
    Point of the story is to shop around and not to be in a hurry. If you order a boat at the boat show expect to pay top price. Order one in the fall or for spring delivery and you can save a bundle. But don't waste the dealers time. If you ask the dealer to accept "X" amount then you better be prepared to write a deposit check out for it.
    We usually do get gouged by Alaskan dealers, but not always.
    Tennessee

Default Outside Boats

Twelve years ago, I bought a new Dodge truck, 21 foot Hewescraft & trailer over the phone. Three months later, I flew down on a Monday with the tags for my truck, the Dodge dealer picked me up, installed the tags, put my suitcase & cooler in the truck while I signed the last of the paperwork. I drove over to the boat dealer and hooked up my new boat and headed North, late Monday afternoon. I arrived in Anchorage late Thursday night. I saved a total of $12,000 on both purchases. Shopping around, especially in the Northwest is a good idea..... It saves you money and helps control the cost of the same item locally by increasing competition. Your next step will be to find a reputable service center!

I've been shopping for a new boat in Alaska, and the prices are outrages! Even used the owners think their $**t don't stink and their boat is goldplated or something. I think I'll buy from WA or OR next spring and have it barged up here to save some coin if I don't find what I want here in AK that is within reason.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

Default Look outside!

Quote Originally Posted by MARV1 View Post
    I've been shopping for a new boat in Alaska, and the prices are outrages! Even used the owners think their $**t don't stink and their boat is goldplated or something. I think I'll buy from WA or OR next spring and have it barged up here to save some coin if I don't find what I want here in AK that is within reason.
    After seeing a Carver 28ft boat on the Old Seward for 82K, I thought was a good deal......until I went to Boattraders.com and looked there.

WOW what a big big difference!

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    MMSI# 338131469

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by AKBassking View Post
    Dealers in Alaska need to start taking notice. There are many better deals outside and more and more folks are going to the L48.....
    Don't bother giving them notice. They've been ripping people off en masse for years.

Cabela's is still a couple months away form opening. The walls are up and they are moving right along. Probably have to use the parking shuttle at Christmas........

From the last post are they building a Cabelas in Anchorage?

They are building a new superstore in WA state, they'll have boats available there with lower prices.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!