Thread: Out of Seward Goat or Sheep

Default Out of Seward Goat or Sheep

Can anyone give me some advice on any vessel based hunts that I could do out of Seward for goat or sheep?
    I am about done with my fishing season and have my charter boat still in Seward and would like to hunt.

I maybe also open to taking a few fellas out with me that have experience with hunting in the area. I really want to get out and get some experience and have some fun.

PM me or post here.

Thanks
    Marc Theiler

I don't believe that there are any sheep accessible from the saltwater out of Seward, or anywhere in Alaska for that matter. As for goats, I think all of the coastal areas are restricted to drawing permit hunts right now. There may be some areas opened to registration permits, but that doesn't open until November 1st, which isn't a very nice time of year to be on the water.

Default Not Nice

As long as it's sorta, maybe kinda nice, that's ok.
    So, I'll have to wait till November I guess to see. I plan on taking her over to PWS and do some deer hunting, maybe I'll bring the boat back to Seward if I get a chance for a goat. Any other information and advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    Marc Theiler

If you're going over to PWS, check out the registration goat hunts over towards Valdez and Cordova. I don't have experience with these, but they open up in September and offer pretty good hunting from what I hear.

I'd assume there is some pretty decent goat hunting in the nellie jaun area and probably up port wells, those would be hardcore hunts...
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

The goats aren't usually in the Nellie Juan area during hunting season, and up further in King's Bay it is drawing permit only. Not sure about Port Wells, though - I think that's registration.

How far would you estimate would that be out of Whittier? I am just curious. I plan on pulling out of Whittier for our blacktail hunts and might be interested in doing a goat hunt out of Whittier if it's a reasonable possibility.

Any thoughts?
    Marc Theiler

brian, last i looked turnagain arm was salt water and so is knik arm, they just happen to have a road by them so you wouldn't use a boat but if the road wasnt' there, you'd have to consider those sheep as being accesable by boat on the salt....?
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by theilercabin View Post
    How far would you estimate would that be out of Whittier? I am just curious. I plan on pulling out of Whittier for our blacktail hunts and might be interested in doing a goat hunt out of Whittier if it's a reasonable possibility.

Any thoughts?
    If you don't have a kenai pennisula draw permit I wouldn't reccomend it PWS has some of the worst winter weather in the world and being in the goat mountains during that might not be the best of plans. Not to mention on the sound during that...
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    brian, last i looked turnagain arm was salt water and so is knik arm, they just happen to have a road by them so you wouldn't use a boat but if the road wasnt' there, you'd have to consider those sheep as being accesable by boat on the salt....?
    Oh, alright....fine. You got me there.

I stand corrected.