Thread: Short Shaft/Long Shaft

Default Short Shaft/Long Shaft

Hello all,

I am in search of a 15 HP outboard for my grumman canoe. I have located a long shaft Evinrude?

Is a short shaft prefered over a long shaft? I kind of imagine that it would be.

Can a long shaft work or do you have to build the transom up too high?

Thanks for the help

-frozen

Default Long / Short

the long would work but the short would work a lot better you want to keep a low center of gravity,low center would makes it harder to turn over than a high center of gravity SID

Default Long / Short

forgot, if you put it directly on the canoe it would stick out the bottom way to much, by the way on some long shafts you can take a riszer out an put a new drive shaft in an make it a short, so look real close good luck SID

Frozen, I run a 15hp short shaft on the back of my Osage canoe with a lift. If you are taking your canoe in rivers (which I imagine you are) you are going to want a short shaft. Sid is correct most shafts can be changed out form long to short, but there is a cost involved. If you are using the canoe for lakes then you could get by with a longer shaft, but I would not recomend it.

Default short / long shaft

a ney drive shaft will cost about $90 to $150 depending on what brand of motor you get an about 1 hr work, if the rizer comes out, just remenber not all motors have riszers that come out Sid