Thread: Dogs

Default Dogs

We are starting to bounce this around in the gundog forum, but I thought it interesting enough to post here too. I have a dog bred to run down coyotes. Now I was 99.999999% sure that this is not legal in AK under the Fur Animal restriction, but believe that I can hunt hares with him. I called ADF&G and they confirmed. Has anyone here used dogs in Alaska for anything other than retrieval for any game at any time? ADF&G told me that only three people in the state even have the permit to use dogs on bears. The dog is a Staghound for those curious. Thoughts, experience, or any who wish to start a proposal to allow dogs for next year on coyotes?

How does a coyote dog work since coyotes cant be treed. I dont see how it would be that effective. Another issue would be the dog getting caught in a trap or snare while chasing or tracking a coyote.

Default how they work

I have heard of using dogs for them before. the dog is supposed to run out and challange the coyote and start a chase. then he runs back toward his owner who is waiting with a loaded shotgun or rifle. I would love to see the video it is supossed to have some up close and personal coyote hunting shots.

Default I had a permit for my dog

to run bears. Need to get another for this season. You have to contact the fish and game office that manages the area you want to hunt. You can even use dogs to track a wounded moose, another permit but allows you to have your dog off leash. Without either permit you need to have your dog leashed at all times while hunting. For hunting hares I don't think a permit is needed. Don't let them in F&G office push you around. It is legal dispite what someone might try and tell you there. It is in the regs on page 26 I believe. They are easy to get and if nothing else just insurance if you have your dog with a lot like I do. My dog is in my avatar. Not a good picture but she is small and fierce. She is a german jagd terrier. I don't know of anybody esle using a dog for anything else besides retrieving. It is pretty cool to see her get a fresh scent and take off barking and yelping.

Default big game vs small game

Just to expand a little on what akrstabout was saying. For small game you dont' have to have them leashed or any permits & hares fall under small game. I don't know where furbearing animals such as coyotes would come under. I have used my short hair pointer to track a moose once & would like to try it again sometime but don't know if I will get the chance. Good luck & let us know what you find out.

Default TonyH

The coyote hounds don't tree the coyotes. They either bait them back to the hunter or they kill them. Depends on the hunters training and the bred of dog. My bred is often used to kill the coyote himself. Some hunter use singular dogs and some use packs to hunt with. Mine is a greyhound / wolfhound mix, so he has speed and massive size. A coyote can't out run him and at a average of under 30 lbs, is not match for a 100 lbs Staghound. Biggest danger to hunting a singular Staghound (minus accident, traps, snares, ect...) is running into a coyote hunting pack. Coyotes only ocasionally hunt in packs; most are solitary or pair hunters.

Default question

Quote Originally Posted by akrstabout
    Without either permit you need to have your dog leashed at all times while hunting.
    Akrstabout, can you direct me to this particular statute/reg? And can you clue me in on what permit this is to have an unleashed dog? I often hunt with my dog...I mean I don't use the dog for hunting per se but she's just with me in camp and on the river; she heels real well and is never on a leash. Thanks,

Default Bush Rat

On page 26 in the upper 1/4 of the page in the middle, the second paragraph down is the info on hunting black bears with dogs. Then on page 16. Left hand column 6 segments down is the paragraph for use of a single unleashed dog for tracking and dispatching a wounded big game animal. 5 AAC 92.068 that statute is for the bear permit. They said on the phone there is one for moose. In the regs I do not see a statute number. Ah maybe it is the same statute just a different form. It took me a while to find it but I knew I read it and Dave Crowley in cordova is who I delt with and also got more info from in the spring. He sent the permit to anchorage and I signed for it there and then they faxed the signed copy to him, faster then mailing to me and then myself mailing it back to them and then waiting for them to mail it back to me. Like I mentioned in the previous post. Don't let them tell you anything different. My second trip in with this info in hand, he could not deny it. Then learned it is the closest office to unit, not nearest office to you. I used my permit out of whittier in unit 6D. Anchorage is only an hour away, but Cordova office is the one I had to deal with, which I must say they were very helpfull and willing, unlike the anchorage office. I hope this helps you or anyone else.