Thread: Boat name database?

Default Boat name database?

Is there any compilation of Alaska boat names? I don't want to use a name thats already taken!

Not that I know of.

It would be interesting to register it like a cattle brand.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Well say you wanted to name a boat. How can you be sure that the ever-so-clever name you come up with hasn't been taken? A while ago I wanted Aquaholic but during a drive to Homer I saw a boat with that name. I'd just hate to have the name painted on and then see another boat with the name already!

I dont believe boat names are registered. The name on a boat is a call sign so other Captains can hail you on the radio.
    One of the best names I have heard was "Fogducker", another good one I saw was the "Spread Eagle".

Default Boat Names

Back when we used to have to be licensed and the marine operators were operating, Alascom published an Alaska Marine Radio Directory with all the boat names and cross referenced to owner - really handy for any number of things including naming your boat. Last copy I have is 1994 so only good for name ideas now. You might check with them to see if they have any updates.

I bet the various harbors that rent slips have a name associated with it. I guess I could call Valdez, Whittier, Seward, and Homer to check against the name I want. If I don't find one then it's about the best I can do. Or I can just be super original and hope for the best

Default registration

just registered my boat a couple of months ago; although it was not required there was a spot for your boat name on the form. maybe the DMV carries a database of names, if they do I'm sure it would be available to the public. Im also sure its not free!

???

Here is a link to the Boat US list of names

http://www.boatus.net/boatgraphic/names/names.asp