Thread: Camp in Alaska?

Question Camp in Alaska?

if you were going to choose an area for a camp in Alaska that would put you close to great fishing & accessible hunting, what portion of Alaska would you choose?

Wow! That is a very general question. My first thought would be the Denali Hwy. But there are many, many places that would work. Depends on what you may want to hunt. Then that gets into the residency thing. Do you want to be away from major roads? How remote do you want to be? The Haul road offers some great fishing and hunting with a bow or gun if you want to hike...Hope this helps a little.
    EricL

Default to broad

to broad of a question, what are you looking to hunt for and what are you looking to fish for? Some areas are good for salmon and caribou where another might be great for pike and moose etc. etc. try and be more specific as Alaska is a really big state that varies quite a bit....

I'd put the $ into a boat. A floating camp will get you into more hunting and fishing than any permanent area, but a long, long shot.

Echoing Thunder Chicken ... Too many variables. Time of year, type of fishing, type of hunting, alone or with friends, road or fly in?

I will say that I have experienced several regions and I like them all.

Just a followup, if you're thinking about getting 10-40 acres, putting up a cabin and hunting out of it, as in the lower 48, you might be very disapointed with such a setup in Alaska. Game densities in Alaska are very low, with alot of land carrying next to no large game. Very few hunters hunt from their own personal hunting cabins. Those that I know of that have established hunting camps do so for moose, and our moose heards are at very low levels state wide, and I don't think that'll improve for 10-20 years. Most folks travel long distances to get to game. There also isn't alot of overlap in habitats.

For what you'd have to tie up in $'s and time to buy land and build a cabin, you could pay for flying out to just about any part of the state for multiple years to get into top habitat for a variety of species. I don't see how you could buy land and build a cabin for much less than $50k, and transportation costs could easily double that.

If the land is road accessible, you'll have an advantage getting materials to the land for building, but if there is any game there, you'll be competing for it against everyone else in Alaska.

If the land is in truly good hunting territory, you will be simply shocked at how much it will cost you to take building materials out there. You'll also still be competing against folks that fly out to hunt.

Talking My back yard!

Noatak National Park but you need your own sno-go or boat!

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Back Country Rentals
    Your best bet in Rafts, Canoes and Camp Rental
    www.northwestalaska.com

Default Lack of large game.

In 2004 my father and I drew a moose permit here in N.H., while hunting in the north part of state we ran in to a hunter who said he was from Alaska and finally drew a permit in N.H. I asked why would you travel to N.H. just walk out back and shoot one. he replied that his unit was closed as was many others do to the low numbers in Alaska moose.

Thanks for the advise I am from Louisiana and have no idea what its like in AK. Hearing this from men that are there and have been there for years is very educational . It sounded like a good thing at the time but you all are right its a big place that can not be narrowed down to one perfect do-it-all spot to put a cabin and hunt out of it like we do here in La. I envy you all who live there and step out to go to work or hunt every morning and get to see the mountains and forest. It's just another day for you but a life long dream for others. It is so neat listening in on your conversations talking about where the bou are and who is seeing the bears. You guys are out there doing it and my hat is off to you. Thanks again Randy

Default Imagine Hunting Most of the East Coast

Hey Randy,

I was born in Alaska back in 61, but now live outside like you do - I'm up in Maryland, used to date a woman whose family was from Baton Rouge about a decade ago.

Just to offer some more insight - Alaska is a huge place, more than twice the size of Texas! Two years ago I hunted moose in the southwest part of Alaska, out of Iliamna; last year I hunted in the central part of the state out of Tok. To give you an idea of scale, that's like saying two years ago I hunted deer with you down in Louisiana, and last year I hunted deer with my Dad up in Maine. It's a huge place, but has less paved roads than the state of Rhode Island!

It would be much easier to pick a cabin locaton that offered pretty solid fishing and some hunting, versus finding a spot that offered pretty solid hunting and some fishing. The game population densities are low, and a lot of the state is very tough to hunt on foot or by ATV.

The one thing you can count on - wherever you decided to build a cabin, you would likely have views that are better than most people have ever been lucky enough to see.

Michael

I didn't catch the "build a cabin" part on the first post. If a cabin was in mind, Southeast would be the "it" for me.

If you can afford the land, and if you can afford the building materials, you can afford a modest boat.

Hands down on this one if a cabin is involved.

I thought we were just camping.

Quote Originally Posted by whipplekeene View Post
    In 2004 my father and I drew a moose permit here in N.H., while hunting in the north part of state we ran in to a hunter who said he was from Alaska and finally drew a permit in N.H. I asked why would you travel to N.H. just walk out back and shoot one. he replied that his unit was closed as was many others do to the low numbers in Alaska moose.
    That doesn't make a lot of sense. There are many units in Alaska that are relatively easy to access. Most places would be cheaper than going all the way across the country. I'm sure he had other reasons for hunting New Hampshire than the ones he gave.

-Eric

Who says you need to haul in all your materials - if you buy the right piece of ground most of your materials are already there and it can be done for well under 50K as suggested before.....and hunted out of for multiple species....

See here -
    http://www.alaskaantlerworks.com/Alaska_cabin.htm

I was just trying to give the guy a reality check, and assuming he wasn't moving to AK, and had to factor in his time in building a cabin, and transporting himself up here and tools. That's a big difference than living up here and spending a year or two of weekends putting in a cabin.

There are lots of great places to build cabins and experience Alaska, just don't expect to be located in a spot like the old timers were where they could just go out and kill whatever they wanted. And in reality, it wasn't even that good back then, as they were always hunting year round and would take game when opportune.

I'd agree on the comment about South East and having a boat. Incredible fishing, bears, dear and goats. There are some areas that have moose, but those are mostly registration hunts.

Default SE

SE all the way! But you would definatly need a boat .