Thread: Any Rex trail reports!

Smile Any Rex trail reports!

Does anyone have a report of trail conditions on the REX?

Thumbs up Its the REX, of course!!!

I just came back off of the Rex after four days of playing in the mud. I only went to the big open field about 2-3 miles past the Tatlanika since I took a couple of spears to my Bomb. One went through the headlight, one bent the drive shaft of my winch, and I broke the left footwell on a stump. Being the first one out there did not have any benefits since breaking trail through the tall grass was a slow endeavor and I ended having to chop off some trees and find an alternate path to cross over the Tat'--one of the braids cut a three foot vertical wall right across the trail between the trapper's cabin and the Tat'. Both the Totat' and the Tat' were VERY low this year and I only had to hand-winch out twice in both directions due to picking the wrong line across the sloppy parts.

On the bad side it was SO HOT that there weren't any animals moving or seen by anyone that I came across in those four days. Plenty of tracks between the 12-14 mile markers, prior to the Totat' and in the 3-4 mile markers past the Totat', but that is bow-only for cows. There weren't NOTHIN' but a single set of cow&calf tracks walking down the trail after the Tat'.

On the good side there were SO MANY grouse that everybody seemed to be shooting the hell out of them. I took in a dozen over two days, not including one that I just could NOT find by the time that I walked over to where it had gone through its death throes. Those **** things were INVISIBLE on the greyish, tundra-like ground.

Saw a lynx, one rabbit and a porcupine, some bear tracks and the usual complement of cranes--but no moose. Plan upon six hours of riding time from the trailhead to the swampy areas after the Tatlanika, assuming that you shoot 8-10grouse and clean every one right away and put 'em in the cooler. I think that it will likely be much faster as everyone crunches down the trail and soups up the muddy bottoms--don't try to be first out there unless you are riding with a partner!

Good luck and remember that the Rex trail is the "T. Rex Trail" for a reason...while this may have been my first broken equipment after three years of riding the Rex, my riding buddies have certainly busted up their wheelers on a regular basis without any extreme riding or carelessness. This trail can be unforgiving to your wheeler in mere moments. That is one of the reasons that I absolutely love it!

Yours,

IceKing02

Default Trail

Baited on that trail a couple of years ago all the way back to the Totat. I was lucky, my machine didnt suffer any damage. My buddys Polaris was not as lucky. Snapped a pin that holds the front drive line and he had to come out in 2 wheel. Lots of towing out of holes. At least it was past the lake (pond). As far as hunting.....no way. Everyone and there brother are out there. Just my 2 pence.

Default yeah, it is the Rex....

I was out there the same time as IceKing....though I stayed mostly in zone 3 as I was hunting with a bow. I went as far east as halfway between the totat and the tat.....mostly clear sailing....according to IceKing (he is my hunting partner), that is where the trail turned to ****. I too saw plenty of moose sign (some of it quite fresh) but did not see any. I did stumble into a sow grizz and her cub, on one of the islands at the totat crossing.....was fortunate enough to back out without incident. I will second that it was way too hot up there. Leaves hadn't even started turning yet. I have also never seen the Rex with sooooo much grass growing in the trail - also, it was all very tall grass and brush. I did notice on the way out, as people started coming in behind me, that the mud spots that had been no trouble coming in, were turning very very soupy. I still made it out w/no trouble no winching, and I was pulling a trailer. I am the one that IceKing mentioned with prior 4 wheeler mishaps on the Rex....really gotta watch out for those submerged logs.....they have punched out the front plastic fender on two seperate wheelers....tires grab a hold of them and Kapow! there goes your plastic.....

I will say this, if you don't have a Nodwell, the REX is a killer. I quite running it on a wheeler after the big tired rigs found it about 8 years ago. Now I only run it with tracks. Either my track rig or I drive a friends. Now that those big tired rigs are running it they are tearing it up so bad small rigs can't get through. IceKing was the Old man, with a white beard, still in the cabin there at the first river? He homesteads that cabin everyyear, goes in two or three days before the season, and spends the entire season there. Sort of ticked me off till he started coming up with the cash to help pay the permit everyyear. Did you get to the second river (actually Tatlinka Creek) ? We old Rex Runners call them First River and Second River.

Default Yup, they're there

Graybeard--yup, the same guys were at the First River that were set up last year. I didn't go in to say hello, but they string up their tarps with supplemental stringers and the same setup was present this year.
    To answer your second question...yup, I went about 2-3 miles past the Second River (Tatlanika Cr.) to the wide open swamp. As I did not have a functional winch my motivation for getting through nasty spots was lessened, certainly. Throwing a moose onto my atv and then trying to get it back in one piece would have been an *********

As for the people and the trail...I don't see where the trail is all that bad to keep me from wanting to run it. The people have always been friendly enough, too--I'm just interested in getting the heck out of the house and away from work! A moose is merely the bonus.

IceKing02