Thread: Boot or Rack

Default Boot or Rack

What do you suggest for your ATV. The gun boot or the rack mounts. I have never owned the boot and really starting to dislike the rack mounts being that I lost the last one I owned trailering the ATV up a long dirt road. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks

I've had both and they each have their place. The rack is nice for accessibility, but weapons are exposed to the weather and tend to get REALLY dirty. The boots offer much better protection, but take longer to get the gun out.

If you were only going to use one, I'd stick with the boot.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default wow 6 of one half

a dozen of the other I on the other hand like the rack and if you lost one maybe it was just the type of rack you had I do agree with akmud about dirt but never had anything i would worry about that a cleaning wont handle and i had one on my old honda and pretty much the same kind on the cat but i did have to dig to find the style i like but i did and if you look at my trheads on this is what its all about have a few pictures there of the type i have and if im out hunting i do like to have very little movemant to get my gun out if needed
    Larry

Default Thanks

I kinda thought that would be the start of the replies I would get back. Any recommendations on brands and is there any issues with vibration and knocking your zero out of whack. Thanks

Default mine

Mine came from cycle country i got it through dennis kirk
    and in the past i had no trouble with it knocking anything out of wack
    i also so like it because of the fact that it leaves my whole rack free.
    is this works here is the one i have

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/produc...d=10603&mmyId=

The "Bandit" is the style I had. I really liked them because they simply screwed into the mirror mounting holes that were already on the handlebars then tightened with a jamb nut.

I don't really know of other boot manufacturers other than Kolpin. They offer all kinds of different styles nowadays. Some of them use a bulky contraption to mount the boot to the wheeler. I like the Gunboot II stlye which has a slim metal mounting bracket and uses two large carriage bolts to mount the boot to it.
    AKmud

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Here is a photo of how I mounted mine to my custom rack on my 6x6 -

AKmud

I have both and use both depending on what I'm doing at the time.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

If you're gonna use a gun-boot, I would suggest mounting it on the back but never the side. I see a lot of guys mounting them on the sides of the wheeler where if you were to have a roll-over, the gun-boot would hinder you from getting away from the wheeler. Personally, I use a Doskocil (or pelican) gun case and strap it to the rack of the wheeler. These cases are definitely more expensive but over the years we have used them, they keep the guns clean and dry no matter what we are doing.

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    If you're gonna use a gun-boot, I would suggest mounting it on the back but never the side. I see a lot of guys mounting them on the sides of the wheeler where if you were to have a roll-over, the gun-boot would hinder you from getting away from the wheeler.
    You hit the nail on the head there Side mounted boots are worthless and dangerous. My two partners and I started out with 3 new ones one year and none of them survived the hunt. I also see parts and pieces of them things on the trails all the time. Hard case and bungy on the racks. No rachet straps, bungy incase of you tip the machine over or something reaches out and grabs it- you want the gun and case to move- not take the force of the blow.

+ 1 on what Snyd said. If I am going on a long ride, I will use the boot. If I am going slow, and the weather is alright, I will put on the rack.

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    If you're gonna use a gun-boot, I would suggest mounting it on the back but never the side. I see a lot of guys mounting them on the sides of the wheeler where if you were to have a roll-over, the gun-boot would hinder you from getting away from the wheeler. Personally, I use a Doskocil (or pelican) gun case and strap it to the rack of the wheeler. These cases are definitely more expensive but over the years we have used them, they keep the guns clean and dry no matter what we are doing.
    Ya you guys are right about how you mount them. I have a custom rack on the back of my quad and mounted my gun boot to it. It does not block my leg on the side and doesn't stick out from the quad to the side or the rear. Here's a pic where you can kind of see it.

A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

I have both the Kolpin gun boot and Fingrip Pro's installed on my KQ700. I have never actually used the gun boot but will likely use it this winter for my nice varmint rifle. the Fingrips are mounted on my front rack and I ride with a single shot 410 on the front for ptarmigan and spruce chickens, and a Marlin guide gun on the other set. both guns are short enough that they dont stick out past the fenders (this is most important, unless you want broken stocks or bent barrels) and are quickly accessable by simply standing up and reaching over the bars/head light pod and grabbing the gun you want. They do get very dirty though, and if you want your pretty blue expensive firearm to stay that way, it should probably ride in a gun boot or hard case. Just my opinion.