Thread: Newhalen River

Default Newhalen River

I used to fish the Newhalen River for reds around the 4th of July once in a while, and was thinking of taking some relatives over there. I know that the forecast for the Kvichak River drainage isn't good this year, but it's still an amazing place to visit. My question is about the last bit of the walk to the river. It's been a while since I've been there, so...is the last section decending down to the river pretty steep and slippery? I have two relatives that have a little trouble with uneven walking, though they would be fine with the mile+ distance to the river bluffs. Can anyone give me some feedback on what that last bit is like? I honestly can't remember...

Also, does anyone know of where I can find info on current returns there? Thanks!

-Brian

Default Newhalen

The fourth might be early this year, give it a week if you can. There is still a pick up ride avaliable for 5 bucks last year. The hill is steep and the area to the right was posted by a native corporation. As long as it is not raining the hill should be fine. I was using more then an ounce of weight and a sinking line on the deep pools near the falls. The fishing was great the bears were there but stayed on the other side. It was lst year that i was there. Good luck Chef

Thanks for the tips. We'd probably be heading out sometime after the 7th, so maybe we'll aim for the 10th or 11th. I guess the limit has been scaled back to 2 fish this year, but it's still a great place to visit.

-Brian